THR Equestrian's recovery with Ehlers Danlos

Excellent update hip buddy Polarice.
life sounds so sweet, and that's what it's all about. Fantastic news.

9 months post op! And life couldn’t be any better. I don’t even think about the fact that I have a fake hip(right hip is not in the best shape and will require a replacement sometime in the next 5 yrs or so). I am riding horses full time and training. I can run after the dogs, something I had stopped doing altogether. No more day time pain, no more night time pain. No pain getting off my horse either. Its really interesting how much your brain has to be retrained to stop doinmg the “oh i can’t do that because of my hip” and learn to LIVE and know that you will not be in pain anymore.

I am aware of the movements that may dislocated my dual mobility joint and avoid them(easy to do because it’s a really awkward position that would cause this anyways) and I just live life.

While replying to someone else’s post, I remembered this a news clip of me online from many many yrs ago when my hip issues were at It’s worst. This was a new procedure in Canada at the time, and this was my first ever hip surgery. The injury to the joint itself was super severe, so even tho I didnt find SOME positive changes, I ultimately had to undergo 20+ more surgeries between the 2 hips(scopes, Peri-acetabular osteotomies, non-unions, hardware removals etc)

Hip Arthroscopy: Hip Arthroscopy

Me 4 months post op with my brand new left hip.
652-B7-E1-A-A19-F-40-C7-9423-9158-D82-B78-FE.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Kelly:xmark: You've been through a lot. Thankfully you're doing well now, enjoying life without pain
and back to all you love. Inspiring for sure.
Happy Nine Month Anniversary. Have a great day and week!
@PolarIce

Happy days Polarice.

yah hoo

excellent update, so glad life is so brill for you and the new hips certainly give a new lease for life.

Great to see.

Hippy Horsey Happy:horseriding:
Hope all gets better and better.

Almost at the 1 yr mark since surgery! I still count my blessings daily. I cannot believe I am 100% better than I was a year ago. So so lucky to be where i am today. Keep pushing my friends, things can get better!

Well I have had a new update on the hip. I am 1 week passed my 1 yr anniversairy of my replacement. My 1 yr follow up with the surgeon is in 6 weeks as well.

Now it's been about 2 weeks (had not really realized it until this afternoon), that I have had gluteus medius pain on the side the hip was replaced. I noticed it started after i went to the dog park after not doing much exercise(the new current job held me back a bit), and I was in 10/10 pain the day after we walked at the dog park. I have not recovered since and have gone through slightly better days here and there, but some days I literally walk with a limp because of the pain. I have tried to rest as much as I can, I have been hooking myself up to the ice machine and have been taking some advil on and off.

Has anyone had that issue 1 yr post op? could this be a tear I caused? could it be something else?

Good Morning:mcoffee: @PolarIce

Happy Belated One Year Hipversary (sorry we missed this)...but don't like to hear you are dealing with this new issue.:sad:
We have several members who have had glutens medius issues including one I believe undergoing a sugical repair soon.

It would be hard without an exam to determine if this gluteus medius issue is possibly a tear or a strain...hopefully the latter.
The R.I.C.E. protocol is definitely what is recommended in either case and personally I would try to be diligent with this if you are not likely to be able to see anyone until that postop appt.
A strain can take as little as 3 weeks and up to 6-8 weeks to resolve with R.I.C.E. and this can also help body to possibly heal a tear...

NSAIDS are recommended too... Advil is one obviously but Please be mindful of issues with other medications for any other conditions.

I think you are in Time Out, lady.:sigh:
Hopefully this will resolve soon.

You guys are so wonderful. I am so grateful for all of you. We have 2 Canadian Horses(yes it's a breed), and I mostly have been eventing them, but do enter the occasional hunter/jumper show for fun. We also do a lot of parades with our horses(Calgary Stampede Parade-the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth!). I had to stop riding in November this last fall, because the pain was just becoming too much(even with pain meds). I refuse to give up riding and won't be. We will take it easy and get back into it cautious.

29-CB1-D0-A-0976-47-AE-A3-CA-848608-AC82-E7.jpg

2211-A71-C-3168-46-D8-A4-AD-CC5353-CC5-B54.jpg

82-D6-DAB8-0198-486-B-BAE4-52-B2-ADCD1-A8-B.jpg

F48-F9217-7-DF8-40-A7-B6-EB-C235-DA3-A80-FA.jpg

@Magsmom I am getting my left hip done. The right one will eventually need doing, but still have some decent usage out of it yet, so just like everything else-I'm going to use it as much as I can until it starts significantly affecting life.

Thank you so much for the well wishes, prayers and PMs wishing me all the best. It truly means a lot.
They are absolutely wonderful solid built horses. I bet you are missed them absolutely loads when you were going through this. The brilliant thing is at some point you will be able to ride again when your hip is better. I haven't ridden from a long time, but used to ride alot when younger and had a thorough bred for a while (skittish and alot less solid!).

I hope you are able to sort out your current pain.

thank you so much @Mojo333 appreciate all your input! I will do a search as well to read more about what others have experienced. I am an hour away from being off for 4 days, so Im going to hook myself up to the ice machine religiously during that time. You are right about being on time out! the second i realized i was injured I had to take a pause on everything. The pain has been unreal. It's gotten a lot better than it was even 10 days ago but it seems to go up and down.

@Sukuma thank you! they are Canadian Horses(yes its a breed), and are mostly drought horses which is why they are so thick. They are incredible horses for both active sport and leisure activities.

Yea, I thought we be done with hip stuff after a new hip:)))). Probably something muscular or tendon issue. See my new post. Its all a moving target I guess. Feel better!

Sorry you're struggling, Polarice. Thankfully you have the time for some dedicated TLC over the next few days. Hopefully rest and ice helps and the pain resolves.
A belated Happy One Year Anniversary!
@PolarIce

I had issues with muscle stuff after my 1st hip. I had piriformis syndrome, and tight IT band. PT helped but mostly just taking it easy did the trick. I hope you feel better soon and can get back out enjoying yourself. I too had TWH for YEARS, and we lost our last one last year. They are the smoothest breed after back surgeries.
Take care!

Update on the new life with my fabulous hip. I am now 1 year and 4 months post op and doing INCREDIBLE. I deal with the odd tight hip flexor/lower back pain issue, but it's my fault because there is a lot of riding the horses and training and me not stretching(ever....tisk). Outside of that I am doing AMAZING! I have had zero dislocations and honestly it's not even something that ever crosses my mind. The dual mobility is absolutely incredible and I still count my blessings at how lucky and blessed I have been to be this lucky with my recovery.

So glad you are back to your passions... :horseriding:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks