TKR My countdown begins 4 weeks and counting

Mad71

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi all having my knee replacement done on the 21st of February. It’s been a long time coming after suffering since my teens with multiple dislocations of the patella and pain in my knees. I need both done but first my right knee.

A little nervous mostly that I won’t be able to do the things I do now. I do track racing so hopefully I will get back to that soon.

Great forum btw so much info on here

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us and for your kind words in regard to the forum.

I’m sorry for all you’ve endured with your knees over the years. Thankfully relief is on the way through joint replacement. I think you‘ll be surprised by what you’ll be able to do once you’ve healed from both TKR surgeries. We’ll be here for support and to answer questions to the best of our ability. I wish you comfort as you await your surgery. :)

KNEE PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries

Good luck! That date will be here before you know it!

I had a TKR on September 12, 2022. You will get through this, it just takes time. I have a couple of suggestions:
Get an ice machine, (I got mine on Amazon). It is invaluable. Get frozen water bottles instead of ice and rotate them out with new ones. I am 20 weeks out and still use my ice machine at least once a day.

Secondly, I found sleeping in the recliner so much easier than sleeping in the bed. It was easier to get up during the night and more comfortable on the knee. I think I didn't get to back the bed until about 7 weeks. Now, I'm a stomach sleeper so that also made it hard.

Take your pain meds as directly, especially right after surgery. Mine said to take 1-2 every 4-6 hours for pain. I tried to take just 1 every 6 hours and the pain got away from me. You don't want to do that. Make sure you drink lots of water and eat prunes to help prevent constipation.

I hope you have a great recovery and that others are rooting for you!

Evening all

Thanks everyone for the comments

I had my pre op today and it went well, I was told to get a game ready machine so have booked one for 3 weeks so hopefully that will help post op

A lot of my questions were answered today so while I’m not saying I’m looking forward to the op it will be great to get it done and start on the road to recovery

I was told to get a game ready machine so have booked one for 3 weeks so hopefully that will help post op
I used a game ready ice machine for my recovery and I LOVED it. So easy to use and you can set a timer to turn it on and off, and set the cold level where it is most comfortable.

One tip: it consumes ice like crazy, so rather than using ice cubes, you'll want to freeze a bunch of small water bottles or containers. The ice lasts longer when it's frozen in a large block. I had two sets -- when I replaced the melted set with the frozen set, they went right back into the freezer so there was always ice ready.

Evening all so tomorrow is d day or knee day for me. I’m in at 9am and scheduled for some stage tomorrow.

This time tomorrow hopefully all will be done

Best wishes for tomorrow, @Mad71. When you feel up to it, please start a new thread in the Knee Recovery Area to let us know how you are doing.

We look forward to hearing from you on the other side!

All the best tomorrow and as you begin healing. Will look forward to following your recovery journey on the bright side. Hope to see you there soon! :SUNsmile:
@Mad71

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom