THR Outsider advice

Bluemist

Country
Australia Australia
Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone else had to deal with friends that are well meaning offering advice?
I am bone on bone no cartilage and have been avoiding people in general but I went to lunch with a friend the other day and she kept on about how I should have a botox injection. I kept telling her everyone that looked at my xray has said any injection would be useless at this stage the only option is surgery. She said surely its worth a go get second opinion. I explained it to her but she thinks I don’t want to help myself.
Of course I want to help myself this is agony every day!!!! However I am also a realist and don’t need extra pressure etc it’s hard enough as it is to get through the days. I am on waiting list but I know it is long I am just trying to manage the best I can. Not really a question just needed to vent. Thank you :)

she kept on about how I should have a botox injection
This tells me your friend has no idea what they are talking about. Botox is great for many things, but NOT for injection into a joint.
Ignore the so called experts who have not gone through joint replacement.

Glad you are on a waiting list, sounds like you are ready right now. Hope they call you soon.

:welome:
Botox:scratch:
Boy, they'd make a killing if that was the go-to fix.:) :-) (:

Bone on bone...no miraculous cure as of yet...

(oh, wait)
Yes, I had BTHR in May 2017 and has definitely proved to be my cure!
I'm hoping these will be my forever hips!

Are you scheduled for THR yet?

Awwww @Bluemist sorry your friend is "being supportive" in such a peculiar way. It kind of sounds like she doesn't want to listen to anything technical, so your explanation rolls off her back. You could tell her that your hip is the only place on your body that's not wrinkly, but you're too young for that one lol.

I'm sorry your waiting list will keep you waiting so long-- I had some cartilage left and it was still awful. Hang in there!

@Bluemist Oh those helpful (NOT) friends! I'm sure they mean well but some of them just have no clue! Sad to say there are very few options to control pain when your hip is bone on bone! Sigh, been there, done that, and now 11 years later I am happy with two newer hips!

A couple of suggestions not involving sketchy injections .... 1_ a TENS unit might help with your pain. Probably available through a medical supply store or on line. 2) Acupuncture - yeah it sounds weird but a friend of mine got acupuncture treatments prior to getting a knee replacement and it helped her a lot. 3) Use crutches or a cane to take the weight off your poor hip. I used crutches for about 4 months before my hip replacements and that did help quite a bit.

Waiting for relief is the hardest part of this journey IMO. I sure hope you can get on the schedule fairly quickly and have relief to look forward to.

These comments are about as helpful as the ones I have received post my PKR surgery 12 weeks ago of "isn't it all completely better yet....'. The implication being that if you are not running around pain free there must be something wrong or something wrong with you!
I found naproxen the best medication for hip pain. It is not without side effects and you have to take a stomach protector like omeprazole with it- but it really helped my hip. Takes a few days to work up the anti inflammatory benefit- so take it for at least a week. My hip pain- touch wood seems to have been cured by the knee surgery which also straightened my leg

:welome:
Botox:scratch:
Boy, they'd make a killing if that was the go-to fix.:) :-) (:

Bone on bone...no miraculous cure as of yet...

(oh, wait)
Yes, I had BTHR in May 2017 and has definitely proved to be my cure!
I'm hoping these will be my forever hips!

Are you scheduled for THR yet?
Exactly re botox lol. I’m just on waiting list have been for a while no actual date as yet. Thanks everyone this forum is so helpful.

[ 1_ a TENS unit might help with your pain. Probably available through a medical supply store or on line.

Waiting for relief is the hardest part of this journey IMO. I sure hope you can get on the schedule fairly quickly and have relief to look forward to

Thanks yes I do have a TENS machine. I have a cane as well. I try and be positive but some days when the pain is at its worse and comes on suddenly etc I really just want out. Anyway tomorrow a new day and I’m doing the best I can - thanks everyone I appreciate you all.

Pre-op pain is relentless and horrid.
I lived on a heating pad which just manged to take the edge off while resting...:blackcloud:
Hopefully, not much longer:fingersx::fingersx:

I think people who care about sometimes over step their bounds....it worries me as well to read that she thinks botox can go into joint....it's true that sometimes injections can help but usually it's a temporary fix to what needs to happen(surgery). Duralane and Monovix did help my symptoms for about 16 months until I was able to go ahead with surgery. Injections are not for everyone. For some people they do not do anything, and if you were told you are already bone on bone, it may or may not work for you.
I would just smile and nod at the advice(myself I would just end the conversation, but I am used to eating people for breakfast with work), and move onto another conversation.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back