THR Sandy's Recovery Thread

Good news on Calico, and hopefully she finds forever home along with the kitten.
Turkey dinner is this upcoming Saturday 15th, I have her Mom helping with a lot of the side dishes so it's not all on me, but I love cooking and entertaining.
Keep the faith, you will be on that plane in no time going to see your daughter.
I flew at 4 months post op and was nervous about how I'd do and was fine and you will be too!!!
There's different points in recovery I think we all get concerned if we are actually ever going to be normal again. I know it's something that was in back of my mind off and on and I now realize for me this is a full year recovery. And I'm using my full year! LOL!
I just told my GF other day I finally feel like the implant isn't a foreign piece in my body, I feel it's put itself into place if that makes any sense.
Stay well my friend!

:mcoffee: Good morning, friend.
Good to see you on the forum and hope things are continuing to get better and better.
My two new hips don't feel artificial to me at all and they certainly feel a whole lot better than my worn out ones.:chuckmarch:
A former staffer used to liken it to ridding yourself of a rotten tooth.
You liked your tooth, you didn't want to get rid of your own tooth, but it just wasn't going to get better.

Hope your Sunday is relaxing and happy.
:SUNsmile:

Good morning,
Just thought I'd post a quick update here at a little over 10 months post op even though I do check in just about everyday!
My Son from Texas and his family arrive later this afternoon for a week, finishing touches on apartment downstairs are complete, started prepping food for dinner later this evening. My son and his family that are local will be joining us for dinner as well so 11 total.
I'm doing very well, really feel back to normal and able to do things I wasn't able to do, some of them you just do and then realize "wow, couldn't do that a few months ago." Everything is easier.
Even woman I volunteer with at dog shelter commented on it the other day. I was carrying a chair out of kennel area and she said "what are you doing?" said, no worries I'm fine. She said well two months ago you couldn't do that!
Plus learning to read your body is so important and listening when it wants some rest.
It's been a challenging year for many but then I look around and feel so grateful for my life, my partner, my kids, grandkids, dear friends, I'm a very lucky woman.
I look back at the days I felt so sorry for myself, depressed, crying, so anyone out there just beginning this journey trust me, it WILL get better.
Looking forward to my family time, New Year and we will travel in February to the Virgin Islands for 2 weeks.
Thank you all the wonderful contributors here that take time to calm our fears and doubts, I never would have made it through w/o all of you.
I'm not going anywhere, I'll still be here everyday and hopeful I can help new hippies as they come onboard...pay it forward, right?
My brothers friend is having hip replacement in March and I just told him about Bonesmart and to sign up.
Next few days here will be hectic so let me wish everyone a wonderful holiday season.
All my best.

Awww Sandy, what a lovely update and what you have learned through your journey can’t be stressed enough.
Congrats on staying steady and getting to the finish line, but guess what?? You will continue to improve and feel better/stronger for several or more months!!
Glad you are going anywhere. We love seeing you online.

Happiest of holidays to you and yours!
:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon::carols::merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
@myglasshalffull

@myglasshalffull What a wonderful update! Those "aha I can do that now" moments are very special and a mark of healing. Enjoy and celebrate each one as it comes along.

Happy Holidays to you and your family :carols: :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Quick update.
Went to my ortho this AM for almost one year check in and to discuss bursitis issue that still plaques me now and then.
All good news, everything in place, healed, fracture healed completely that was there shortly after original surgery which I've mentioned before.
ROM is good, no need to go back...ever...unless there's an issue.
As far as the bursitis it's not that painful. said I could get injection, they do ultrasound to be sure they inject in just the right spot but doctor said if it's not horrible to use the Voltaren. I like Arnica gel myself.
And it's not super painful, I wouldn't even call it pain, maybe discomfort is better word.
Told me to go live my life...sounds good to me!

Awesome update. Thanks for sharing.
Wow...only about six weeks until the one year anniversary of your THR. Time certainly flies. Enjoy the rest of the week!
@myglasshalffull

I know Layla, where did the time go???
Thanks, you have a good rest of the week as well.

Congrats on the wonderful update. When your doc says, "Now go live your life!" isn't that a great feeling? Sometimes it's hard to believe you have endured everything you have but at the same time, so proud that you took that leap of faith and did it! Blessings going forward and getting on with life.

:wave:@myglasshalffull
I am so glad to see you are healing well and I know that your perseverance, patience, and positivity...Hey, Perveyor of the 3 P's:) :-) (:....has been an inspiration to other recovering Hippies.

Now we need some Spring for our steps.:SUNsmile::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
Hope your week is Sweet!

Went to my ortho this AM for almost one year check in and to discuss bursitis issue that still plaques me now and then.
All good news, everything in place, healed, fracture healed completely

So happy to hear this @myglasshalffull ! One orthopaedic surgeon who does lots of hip replacements told me that trochanteric bursitis is a very common issue that he sees in his patients. Although he does injections, he suggests patients try shock wave therapy first.

Told me to go live my life...sounds good to me!
Certainly sounds wonderful!!!

I have a question this AM. We are traveling in a little over 2 weeks to Virgin Islands for 2 weeks.
Walking on beach and getting in and out of water??? How much caution/concern should I have. Some of the beaches have nice flat water entry, others kind of have a shelf drop off which are the ones that make me a little nervous. And also getting out of the water where those drop off shelves make it somewhat difficult getting out. Certainly don't want to get hurt.
I can just avoid the drop off entry beaches but we are staying with our friends and I don't want to be "needy"
Asked OS a couple weeks ago about the beach and he didn't seem too concerned.
So anyone here been to these types of beaches and what were your experiences?
Thanks.

How fun, myglasshalffull! I'll bet you're excited. I'm puzzled by those beaches since I never experienced that, but hopefully you'll get some feedback from others. One thing I did do a little research on awhile back was walking on the sand post THR and found this -
Your gait changes while walking on sand.
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

I do realize that you're eleven months post op, TODAY!
Happy Eleven Month Anniversary! Whoa...was sidetracked there for a moment, so at eleven months you may not be as affected by walking the beach, but it's something to be aware of so you don't overdo it and become a spectator only of others having fun. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!
@myglasshalffull

Thanks Layla, yes 11 months, I'll celebrate my one year anniversary on St John.
Many of the beaches there are close to where you park so I'll be cautious, thinking of packing my cane just in case I feel the need for some added security.
I'm probably over thinking the whole thing.

Have a good trip @myglasshalffull !! I can just imagine you sinking your toes into the sand on those gorgeous beaches, swimming in the turquoise water, and drinking and chatting with friends in the famous beach bars....

Good morning, we arrived on St. John late Thursday escaping the cold New England weather.
Beach yesterday and I had no issues walking in the sand and getting in and out of the water.
I'm posting because interesting story from arrival day.
We arrived at Red Hook ferry around 6:30PM Thursday for our final travel leg to St John. My partner went and purchased ferry tickets and I went to the bar and purchased a couple of cocktails to celebrate our arrival and two week vacation. A couple was sitting at table and when I walked by with the drinks the man said, "hey, Cape Cod"...hmmm...didn't know what that meant then realized I had on Provincetown sweatshirt. I stopped and asked if they were from the Cape and yes, they were, ok, cool.
I noticed he was wearing a tee shirt from joint reconstruction spot, so I asked if he was a doctor. No. not a doctor, but had his hip replaced at the location on his shirt. I said I had mine replaced as well. I said we are "hippies!" Started laughing, so he had his surgery 2/23/2022 and mine was 2/16/2022! He has had both hips replaced the other was three months prior to February one.
Such a nice couple we took ferry over and chatted all the way and exchanged phone numbers so we can possibly get together with them within next two weeks that we are here.
Is that not crazy???

Yes, crazy! How fun though. I hope you have a wonderful vacay and meet up with your new hippie friend and his wife once while there.
Stay safe and enjoy!
@myglasshalffull

Good morning,
Vacation is winding down, tomorrow last day here in this beautiful paradise. To think it will be one year tomorrow I had surgery here, I never thought I'd want to come back after that, but we did and so grateful that I took that leap of faith. We've been traveling here every year since 2004, some years 2x's, but after the vacation fiasco last year I was in no hurry to come back.
But we love it here and have made so many friends over the years, my partner wanted to be here and he does so much for me and his family I bit the bullet, but right up until it was time to go I was still a little hesitant.
However, things could not have worked out any better. We've been walking everyday right after coffee and if you've ever been on these islands there's not much flat land, so lot's of uphill incline walking and hip is enjoying it. Also we have 22 steps up and down to our little cottage and I can do them all in one fell swoop, no stopping, great exercise.
We've been to the beaches, out to lovely dinners, bands and dancing and I've been just fine.
I'm looking forward to returning home as well, I love vacation but also love my life at home, miss my son, his family, my rescue dogs. My son comes for breakfast once a week and have really missed that, but he's already made his breakfast appt for next week! Irish Benedict is his favorite.
If you are just beginning this recovery journey, keep the faith, it does get better, you will have good days and bad days and you never know which days those will be. I guess that was one of the most frustrating parts of this recovery. I never knew exactly how I'd feel each day, in my mind I'd set out a plan and some days I could accomplish the tasks at hand and other days I had to give in to resting, icing. Patience is not my strongest suit, but I had to learn to be patient.
Be kind to yourself. And as always thanks to this amazing group of people that take time out of their busy days to give us guidance and encouragement along the way.
I could not have made it through this last year without all of you.

Missed your one year anniversary...A Belated Happy Anniversary!
May the next year be even better!
@myglasshalffull

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020