THR Brooksy’s Hip Recovery

Thank you so much everyone. I think I’ve known for a long time the hip replacement wasn’t going to fix what’s wrong.

Much as I hoped and wished I think we know in our gut that it’s more than that.

I’ve got an appointment tomorrow night with the Consultant. That is so quick in the UK and I was expecting way longer than that. I’m pretty relieved that I’m seeing him but he’s such an arrogant horrible consultant that I really don’t know what he’ll say.

I’ve asked my daughter to come with me. It’s ridiculous because I can support my patients and family but when it comes to myself I can’t. Pathetic. I’m hoping she’ll say what I can’t.

@Brookeer happy to hear you've gotten an appointment with your consultant so quickly. Try writing down your various concerns so you don't forget when you get in there and share with your daughter so she can help keep you on track. Don't let the consultant's arrogance put you off, he's human just like the rest of us and puts his pants on one leg at a time. He works for you but you also must be your own advocate to get things done.

And while I realize you're very down about your THR at this point don't give up. While it may not have fixed everything, I'm sure it has fixed part of what's wrong. And, once you get this consultant to either fix your existing problems or refer you to someone who can you'll be better able to heal. There is hope! :friends:

I have my THR on 26th January.
I have a three wheeled mobility aid which I have been using to do just a little shopping, I intend to bring it next to my bed when I get home from the hospital and use it instead of a zimmer.
Zimmers seem inherently unstable to me, because if you put too much weight on one side they tip over.
I already have a TKR in the other leg, so I kind of know what to expect.
Fortunately we now live in a bungalow, with an en suite shower room literally feet from my bed.
I will be so glad to have the procedure over, and be on the road to recovery.

Consult went okay. The x ray showed the hip/implant is just as it should be which is a relief.
He doesn’t know why it’s so swollen but said it’ll go down eventually.
He’s not doing anything about the psoas tendinopathy and said it’ll right itself. I find that hard to believe having spent the last three years seeing various therapists who couldn’t sort it.
He’ll see me at the one year mark and discuss doing the other hip then.
In terms of pain relief and mobility having the hip replacement hasn’t improved it.

I am sorry you're not enjoying a better result. Hopefully you continue to enjoy progress over the next nine months and even beyond. I know you've heard it already, but you are early into a year long recovery so there's lots of time for improvement. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Brookeer

Thanks Layla. It’s disappointing but I’ll find a way eventually to sort this.
I hope you have a nice weekend too.

So: This is my favourite place in the World.
Beach walk looking towards the Isle of Wight UK.
Whatever the pain I’m not going to give in. I’ve managed this walk twice in the last couple days. I haven’t gone that far in the last three years.

I’m on a rollercoaster that I’ll get off one day. Whilst the hip replacement may not have cured everything and I may have hit rock bottom I’m determined I’ll improve. Whatever the set backs there’s things I can and will do to improve my mobility.

The psoas tendinopathy is something separate to the hip replacement and I need to get my head around that and treat it accordingly.

If anyone has any ideas for that I’d welcome advice.

Attachments

• CD10C46C-5A39-4137-99CF-383AB9150A2A.jpeg
    CD10C46C-5A39-4137-99CF-383AB9150A2A.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 54
I did a quick google search for psoas tendinopathy and the first hit was a UK site. It's commercial I suppose, so I don't think I can include a link here. But if you did your own search for 'complete injections' I think you'd find it.
The site has a menu for 'conditions' and it goes into detail about psoas tendinopathy and bursitis as they pertain to hip replacements. If you are like me, it helps to understand what's going on, why, and if anything can be done about it. Maybe the information will give you a jumping off point for getting some help.
I hope you find relief and feel better soon so that you can enjoy that beautiful walk along the shore.

Many thanks. I was hoping the Consultant would suggest an injection but he wants to see me at the one year mark and thinks it’ll improve by itself. I had it for years before the op though so I doubt it will.

That picture is lovely and happy you are enjoying time there.
I still have the bursitis but overall I'm doing very well.
Hope you feel better soon.

Isle of Wight, isn't that a place where several concerts were held? I feel like I heard of it long, long ago for that reason.

I am sorry you're still struggling and even more so that your Consultant doesn't want to see you for another nine months. That is a long time, but hopefully you will notice improvement by then. Wondering if you've read this article from the BoneSmart Library and if your symptoms match?
Psoas Tendinopothy
I hope you're able to enjoy your your walk this week in your favorite spot. Stay in touch! :wave:
@Brookeer

That picture is lovely and happy you are enjoying time there.
I still have the bursitis but overall I'm doing very well.
Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you. Are they doing anything for the bursitis? I’ve got that with my right hip but it’s not painful.

Isle of Wight, isn't that a place where several concerts were held? I feel like I heard of it long, long ago for that reason.

I am sorry you're still struggling and even more so that your Consultant doesn't want to see you for another nine months. That is a long time, but hopefully you will notice improvement by then. Wondering if you've read this article from the BoneSmart Library and if your symptoms match?
Psoas Tendinopothy
I hope you're able to enjoy your your walk this week in your favorite spot. Stay in touch! :wave:
@Brookeer
Yes they have concerts every year. I haven’t been to one yet as we only moved down here just over three years ago. It’s a really lovely place to visit.

I’ve had a look at the article. I had psoas tendinopathy diagnosed in November 2021 after an MRI and Ultrasound. I’ve literally spent thousands seeing private therapists who all said they’d sort it but it’s still the same. I was hoping the op would magically sort it.

Brookeer, RE: bursitis.
I went to OS two weeks ago and he said I could get shots but it's not that bad and it comes and goes.
They said I could make appt for ultra sound to locate precise area for the shot but I opted to ride it out for now. I massage it, use some Arnica gel, they keep saying to use Voltaren but I've had only moderately good results with that product.

I had psoas issues after my THR - the tendon was rubbing against the hip implant (my hip was a little shallow so there was apparently a small amount of overhang. It got worse and worse and it took me almost a year after surgery to get anyone to take it seriously. I finally found someone who did. They did a cortisone injection into the tendon at the groin. It was magic (until it wasn't). I was told that one injection could be enough to calm the tendon down for some people and that others are able to keep it under control with an occasional injection (but not more often than once every 3 months). While it gave me complete relief, it only lasted for about 10 days. I ended up with a psoas tenotomy where they cut the tendon at the groin to lengthen it. I still have some issues with that hip but am generally painfree. I haven't read your entire thread but it's probably a question of pain v. mobility. If it's not causing significant pain, PT to stretch and gradually lengthen the psoas may be the right approach. If you're in significant pain, though, it may be important to stress that to your doctor

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Brookeer!
I hope you have a nice February.
Take good care and stay in touch.
@Brookeer

I had psoas issues after my THR - the tendon was rubbing against the hip implant (my hip was a little shallow so there was apparently a small amount of overhang. It got worse and worse and it took me almost a year after surgery to get anyone to take it seriously. I finally found someone who did. They did a cortisone injection into the tendon at the groin. It was magic (until it wasn't). I was told that one injection could be enough to calm the tendon down for some people and that others are able to keep it under control with an occasional injection (but not more often than once every 3 months). While it gave me complete relief, it only lasted for about 10 days. I ended up with a psoas tenotomy where they cut the tendon at the groin to lengthen it. I still have some issues with that hip but am generally painfree. I haven't read your entire thread but it's probably a question of pain v. mobility. If it's not causing significant pain, PT to stretch and gradually lengthen the psoas may be the right approach. If you're in significant pain, though, it may be important to stress that to your doctor
Sorry for such a late reply. Many thanks for the information. I think the problem I have is that I had the psoas tendinopathy a few years before my operation. I tried everything and was told that the hip replacement would sort it but it hasn’t. I don’t think it ever would.
I’m not seeing my surgeon now until the one year mark.

Brookeer, RE: bursitis.
I went to OS two weeks ago and he said I could get shots but it's not that bad and it comes and goes.
They said I could make appt for ultra sound to locate precise area for the shot but I opted to ride it out for now. I massage it, use some Arnica gel, they keep saying to use Voltaren but I've had only moderately good results with that product.
Sorry for such a late reply. I thought about shots but I think they’d just mask the problem. Although to be pain free would be rather nice.

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Brookeer!
I hope you have a nice February.
Take good care and stay in touch.
@Brookeer
I’m sorry for replying so late. I keep on leaving replying in the hope I could have something really positive to say.
In truth I am so disappointed with my mobility. Getting dressed is no different to pre op and I’m still paying to see a physio and chiropractor.
Some days I can walk okay but most days I’m still in dreadful pain from the psoas tendinopathy.
I bought a microcurrent device but that hasn’t helped either.
I don’t see my surgeon until the one year mark and I don’t think he’ll do anything anyway. He said it’ll get better on its own but I tried for three years pre op and it didn’t.
I really think it’s needs surgical intervention (much as I don’t want it). But I can’t make him do it.
I think psychologically this is hard to deal with. I’m walking around like an old woman and I don’t want to be like that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads