THR My Christmas time recovery

Ice and rest, I just don't know what the rush is to not use a cane???
If you need assistance use it, there's no shame, timeline for ditching the cane or walker.
We are not super humans.
Take the time your body is asking you for.
Yes, it's not what we want to hear, we want immediate results but doesn't happen for all of us.
Hang in there, getting discouraged is part of this journey.
I wasn’t in a hurry to get rid of the cane it was more that I was feeling so good that I didn’t need it. I use it when I need it. This will be my last post. Good wishes to all

@danelady when I read your count of your surgeries in your post above
i started singing and a partridge in a pear tree!

@Sdfoxy1 Morning! Back in November my surgeon took the dressing off my incision before it had completely healed and bacteria went right to the hip implant. Things got pretty exciting after that but they let me go home (YES!) to do my own antibiotic IV infusions 2x a day. I live in a dying mining town outside of Tucson and there are no Healthcare workers willing to make the drive here and back....and I don't blame them! This week I'll find out if I can stop the infusions and go to oral antibiotics.

Don't EVER feel like you don't deserve to complain, whine or cry about your situation because some else had it worse. I sure ran my mouth about how ticked off I was. I felt like they were using me as their cash cow and were not really interested in making me better just stringing me along to make more money off me.

The week before they cut me loose I talked to one of my insurance agents over the phone. She was 20 years younger than me and was in a bad accident in 2015 and is STILL on a walker and probably always will be. She has a child too and thankfully a wonderful mother who stepped up to help.
Well, I shut my mouth after I heard that. What right did I have to complain. There are a few members on BoneSmart that I bow my head to when I read how much they had to endure. I think what it comes down to is YOU telling YOURSELF that you WILL endure!

Others can help you learn to walk again, dress again....but you are the only one can say I AM A SURVIVOR.

Sorry for running my mouth, I'm feeling pretty good this morning watching the glow behind the mountains get brighter.

Best of luck, you got this!!

I certainly hope you'll reconsider sharing further progress with us here. You've had such great support and encouragement from many on your thread.
I was so happy at the beginning of the week walking without my cane. Now I feel like I’m back to week one. I can barely stand up with the pulled muscle.
I believe any commentary in relation to your need to use a cane again, temporarily, was meant as caring encouragement after you expressed you felt as though you were back to week one. The ups and downs of recovery can be discouraging. It is difficult when we feel we're making headway only to end up in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) or take a misstep that sets us back a bit. We all understand how that feels. Please rest assured that those taking time to follow your journey are doing so in support only. We do care and understand through our own experiences with surgery and recovery. Hope to see you again soon!

certainly hope you'll reconsider sharing further progress with us here. You've had such great support and encouragement from many on your thread.
I just felt attacked wirh the “why do feel
Thr need to be off the cane it’s not shameful ???? When all I was talking about was how good ir felt to walk normal for a few days. I use my cane at night. On the stairs and when I’m feeling shaky or sore. Maybe I’m to sensitive. Thank you for caring.

I live in a dying mining town outside of Tucson and there are no Healthcare workers willing to make the drive here and back.
I live in WV. My daughter is actually a homeHealthcare RN. She could of fixed right up. I have been really touchy and sad lately one of my good friends a healthy woman in her late sixties got covid and is now in the hospital on a ventilator. Has been that way for three weeks. Her daughter told me yesterday that the doctors have been honest and said they see no coming back from this. It’s hard to see someone at church perfectly healthy one week and then never see them again. It’s been effecting my mental health. I hope everything ends up perfectly for both of us. Thanks

It’s hard to see someone at church perfectly healthy one week and then never see them again. It’s been effecting my mental health. I hope everything ends up perfectly for both of us.
This recovery is hard enough without having to deal with emotional pain, also. It is such a shock to realize that one day someone we love and respect might not be here anymore. At least your friend was in church with you so probably has a wonderful afterlife to go to.

It is normal to get the 'blues' after this surgery. Please read this article again. Post-op blues is a reality - be prepared for it. I pray it helps you. Prayer works!

Aww, that is really sad. I am sorry that you may be facing the loss of your dear friend. Prayers for her and all of those that love her. Sending a warm hug your way. :console2:
@Sdfoxy1

@Sdfoxy1 For the first half of my truck driving career I spent a lot of time on the east coast and I remember how beautiful WV was and how twisty and curvy the roads were, lol.

My son and his family now live down some holler near Ripley, WV. I went there for a visit 3 years ago....it was very beautiful and very green.

I also thought about all those poor people on ventilators after they were stricken with covid. My surgeon told my friends that after my allergic reaction they had to intubate me and were keeping an eye on me in case they had to get me on a ventilator.
How did this happen to me? This wasn't what I signed up for when I told my original surgeon to go ahead and replace the hip.
Life sure throws us a curve now and then! Last year was the worst year of my life but today is the BEST day I have felt in over a year....I am coming back and I am so grateful!!

SdFoxy
So sorry about your friend and once again my post was never meant to make you feel attacked.
That's one of the problems with posting sometimes, you cannot hear my voice and the intention in the post.
But happy you are here and still posting and sharing.
My son is an ER nurse, Level 1 trauma so has witnessed some crazy and very sad stuff. He has two kids aged 10 and 7 and when the kids come in and are really sick it gets to him.
Hope we can be "hippie friends" once again, hang in there, I wish you the best.

I reached 5 weeks since surgery Monday. I have felt a few periods of time that I have felt mostly normal discounting my knee. Before surgery my main pain problems were groin pain, buckling, very hard time getting up from a seated position, unable to lift my leg into the car or basically into anything that went onto the bottom half of
Me. I also had pretty much h every day total thigh pain that just felt like continual sore muscles. I won’t go into stairs bc of my knee I can’t do that anyway. Since the surgery I. CAn lift my leg up higher probably 8 inches off the ground versus two. My thigh is still sore and aches most days. It doesn’t buckle. I did the most light housework that I’ve done so far and was awake most of the night with overall aching leg and groin pain. First I’ve had since surgery. This is sort of funny it even felt like I had shin splints. My question do go back to my light housework today meaning standing up and walking much more than usual so I build up my endurance or do I cut back. I’ve for 6 weeks left off work to go back to a standing job which does out a little pressure on me. I know I can’t force my leg to heal but of course the surgeon says walk as much as I can even if I’m in pain it will work out the soreness ? I know you all done agree with that right? Or does there come a point where you do. Thanks

Whenever I felt the aftereffects like you described, I tried to step it back a bit. Maybe you could do some easy walking though, as you asked. That did help me with soreness and stiffness. I am guessing that the housework possibly had you using some muscles that haven't been in use for a while?
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how you continue to recover over the next 6 weeks.
As for building endurance, I remember my surgeon recommending doing an activity, rest a day in between, then try it again, all dependent on how I felt on the rest day.
This practice did very well for me.
I remember very well the worry about returning to work. You still have 6 weeks, try not to let it prevent you from "enjoying" your recovery time. I fully luxuriated in my naps and getting all cozy in my recliner ans ice packs.

Are you taking any medication for discomfort? At 4 weeks post op, I know I still took meds to help with those achey painy days/nights.

You have seen some improvements so far, that's a great start!

Hi @Sdfoxy1
I agree with, CricketHip, about cutting back today if you're feeling the effects of yesterday.

Something that helped me stay reasonably active without overdoing it was the Activity Progression for THR. I believe it takes you through the first eight weeks of recovery and is to be used as a rough gauge. Some excel, some lag behind. No right or wrong, it's just a guideline.

I hope you bounce back quickly from the activity of yesterday. Happy Wednesday!
Activity progression for THRs

Am I the only one who feels that there hip
Feels exactly like it did before surgery. I
Have had times where it felt normal. But I was doing some housework today and going through the kitchen and my husband said your limping. I said my leg feel the same as it did before surgery. Groin pain and sore muscles. I know it can’t be the same that there is a new hip in there but it’s sort of scary when it feels the same

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562