TKR General v’s Spinal

DeeDee22

Country
Qatar Qatar
Hi all,
I’m new here and I have never had an operation before so this TKR will be my first. I am scheduled for 11th February and already worried. Do I go with a general or a spinal?
I really don’t want to hear or see anything that goes on, I’m scared I may go to sleep and not wake up. I know i sound stupid but it’s the fear of the unknown that’s taking over. Any advice will help.

I’ve known people who have had spinals and others general anesthesia for their TKR. I think they are both ok. I don’t think I would have had a choice. They told me I would have a general. I was worried too since I had never had one before, but all went well. I let the anesthesiologist know I was concerned about waking up with nausea so they said they’d give me something for that. I think it will be ok either way!

I always had a general as I was also afraid I'd wake up during the surgery with a spinal. I'm definitely one of those who has no desire to see or hear any part of any surgery! Before one of my knee surgeries, the anesthesiologist took extra time and explained thoroughly how a spinal actually works. Turns out they can do the spinal and still put you into a deep sleep if that's what you want, and you won't wake up. So, I agreed to it, and it was soooooooooo much better that in subsequent surgeries I've chosen to go with a spinal. Unless there's some other issue where I need a general, I'll always choose the spinal.

I used to have a ton of side affects from the generals, but not from the spinal. I woke up while I was still in the OR while the doctor was still entering all his notes, so I could talk to him with a clear head. I used to take hours and hours to wake after a general, but not with the spinal. I spent almost no time in recovery, and was taken to my room almost right away. I was wide awake, no grogginess, no nasty nausea or vomiting, or other issues I used to have with the general.

It's not stupid to be afraid or nervous; we have all been there and understand what you're going through. Being nervous and scared is a very normal part of the pre-surgery process. I wanted to back out of my first knee surgery, and very well may have, if it weren't for all the support, advice and understanding I got here. Please feel free to come here to ask any questions you have, express your feelings, and so on. We really are here for you.

Spinal with sedation!
I really don’t want to hear or see anything that goes on
Just tell the anaesthetist you don't want to see or hear anything. They will put you into a nice, comfy sleep.
I’m scared I may go to sleep and not wake up.
The anaesthetist will be watching you throughout the procedure - monitoring all your vital signs and adjusting the sedation if needed. With spinal and sedation, you will be awake and alert as they wheel you into the recovery area.

@DeeDee22
I'm just 48 hrs out of surgery now. I really wanted a spinal vs general. My scoliosis prevented a spinal. You wake up in recovery better and are more alert with a spinal. So, they tried a spinal and couldn't make it happen.
I sat on side of table in OR so they could begin the spinal process. I apologized to the anesthesiologist for the gap in the back of my gown and woke up in recovery LOL. I was out before they even touched me.
You won't feel a thing. Or see anything or hear anything.

Hi, I had two surgeries, TKR and revision TKR, just over six months apart and had a spinal with sedation each time. I don’t remember anything from either surgery. I’ve had many surgeries in my time, some with general and some with spinal anesthesia. The spinal anesthesia allows for a quicker wake up in recovery with much less fogginess. I much prefer it over general. My husband is an md and he wanted me to specifically ask for a spinal. While general anesthesia is very safe, it can come with more complications and is a little harder on your body. If you don’t have a choice, you’ll be fine either way. If you do have a choice, a spinal is much easier IMO. Good luck!

Interesting comments. I had the general as I cannot take spinals. I woke up fast after the TKR, no problems from anesthesia upon being awaken, but I was delay-sluggish a few days after the surgery. Like POW! My body was like 'what did you do?'. Then by day five things got more even as I recover.

I have been told I will be having a general anaesthetic for my hip replacement the week after next. When I had my knee replacement some years ago I had a spinal and sedation.
The worst thing about a spinal is that you can just speak unutterable nonsense because of the sedation.
It may make it easier for the anaesthetist if I am out cold!

I had general anesthesia for both hips. I woke a little woozy with the first but that passed quickly. Second hip, I woke up and was fine. Second hip had me waking up starving!

First knee was general. Woke up just fine, no nausea and I was starving! Took my first walk not long after waking up. I had the same anesthesiologist for second hip and first knee (they were 8 weeks apart).

Second knee was spinal. Different anesthesiologist who suggested spinal. I was afraid of waking up but I did not. Like my first with general, I took my first walk not long after waking up.

Marie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member