TKR Valgus deformity

@#sully# I hear you about being concerned about falling. I'm not in recovery and I worry as well. They are not gritting anywhere near where I live. Some areas are like a skating rink! Stay safe!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I agree that the fear of falling is real. Especially on the slippery pavement Winter can bring.
Stay safe and go slow is about all we can do. I hope your holiday is season is merry and bright!
Take good care. :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
@#sully#

13 months on and I still can’t kneel (too painful) is there usually a timescale on this ?
I'm closing in on six months and I can kneel quite well on the carpet. Then I tried it on the hard floor and that was so painful I think I'll wait another six months before I try that again. I have read in many different sources that kneeling is not going to damage the new knee, and my surgeon says the same, that there is no need to worry about that, so I'll keep trying.

Thank you for asking these last few nights things seem to getting easier, I’m getting more sleep now thankfully, terrified of walking outside at the moment as it’s getting a bit frosty over here in the uk, nothing like you get in the states though. The thought of having a fall really is scary.
regards David
Ice and temps hovering around freezing are the worst. I much prefer outright snow. Though not :snow plough: :heehee:

We’ve had ice and snow here and I have to walk around my farm…been so scared of falling! I take my trekking poles out with me for security. If it had been 3 weeks ago I think I’d be too scared to go outside! :scary:
Be careful out there everybody!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Happy New Year too!
Let us know how your recovery is going when you have time, we'd love to hear. All the best and a great rest of the week to you!
@#sully#

Hmm, I hear the kneeling ability and comfort is all over the place for TKRs. I am able to kneel on carpeting on my 2019 RTKR after about a year. My surgeon said I would not be able to.

It does feel a bit weird (mechanical) and I cannot do it long but I've found the ability to kneel some helpful for making up one of my beds which is against a wall. I'd advise everyone TKR or not to use knee pads for any sustained work on their knees.

It'll be interesting to see if I can kneel on this new LTKR down the road.

Last edited:
I think the ability to kneel post-TKR is a function of motivation, willingness to tolerate a bit of discomfort and practice. At least that's been my experience. If you have a desire or need to kneel you can get there with practice but you will have to accept some discomfort in the process.

My TKR was in 2018 and l was never able to kneel on that knee . l had 2 stage revision surgery for infection this summer and don't think l will ever be able to kneel .

My recovery is going well at the moment,I am walking quite long distances probably 3 miles daily,still not able to kneel, but I do think most of my problem is in my mind, I have tried but as soon as I feel uncomfortable I stop what I’m doing got to say my left knee which was done recently is recovering much better than the right knee which was done 17 months ago.
take care everybody

Sounds like you're doing great! Wow, 3 miles is a lot. I hope to be able to walk long distances soon too, but so far my stamina isn't having it. My leg is fine, it's just that I tire easily.

And yes it's weird that two knees in the exact same person can recover so differently.

So glad to read this update about how well you are doing, @#sully#!

Re kneeling: My surgeon told me that many people find kneeling awkward/uncomfortable after a TKR. I find that it helps to put a thin pillow or folded towel under my knee for some cushioning. It still feels odd, but I'm gradually getting used to the sensation. That said, I still have one "original" knee and tend to put more weight on that than on the surgical knee.

Three miles a day! Hoping you can keep up the great progress!

Glad to read your recovery is going better than your first. That's a bonus for sure. Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Take good care. :)
@#sully#

Re kneeling: My surgeon told me that many people find kneeling awkward/uncomfortable after a TKR. I find that it helps to put a thin pillow or folded towel under my knee for some cushioning. It still feels odd, but I'm gradually getting used to the sensation
Agree. I bought two thin special pilates cushions for kneeling which are made of foam. They are not thick but quite springy and supportive. They really seem to help with the funny sensation.
I can now kneel for about 5 minutes in the four point position with weight also on my hands. It is useful for doing ' cat stretch' exercises for my bad back. Also for pushing up to get up to standing.
It seems to be the odd sensations in the numb patch that affect kneeling for me. I am 14 weeks post pkr and have been told I am OK to kneel.

12 months post op from my last TKR, Just got back from the pain clinic as I have “painful clunking” in both knees, also in my left knee the latest one to be done, I’ve just been told by the physio that Ive now got a valgus deformity which I didn’t have before the op, I am aware that something isn’t right but I thought maybe it will straighten itself out, the physio seems to think I may need revision surgery, has anybody come across this before ?

I’ve just been told by the physio that Ive now got a valgus deformity which I didn’t have before the op,
I’m sorry to read that you have painful clunking and a valgus deformity. Yes, we’ve seen this with other members.

Consider getting a second opinion to be sure that’s what it is.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Hello sully and Happy One year Anniversary.
I wish things were going better for you. I believe BoneSmart member @EalingGran developed valgus deformity at some point so she may have some wisdom to share with you, I've tagged her, so we'll see when she responds.

Consider scheduling an appointment with your surgeon to get his thoughts on all, rather than your PT's.
As far as the clunking, below is an article on the topic which you may find informative.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. Wishing you only the best!
@#sully#

Sorry to hear about your painful clunking and valgus deformity following your knee ops. Did the physio tell you how many degrees valgus you are? You can estimate it yourself by looking in a good full length mirror and seeing how many degrees from straight your lower leg is.
I was over 20 degrees valgus on my right knee before my PKR. I had always been a bit knock kneed ( worse on the right)- but the lateral arthritis made the knee collapse on that side. This made me over 20 degrees valgus by the time I had my surgery. My surgeon restored what he called my natural alignment- so that my leg is pretty straight now- maybe 5 degrees valgus to match my good leg. My OS said he could straighten my leg totally with a TKR but not totally with a PKR.
I am pleased with the result both functionally and cosmetically.
I haven't heard of a knee becoming valgus post op. But knock knees can certainly aggravate knee pain and joint damage.
A good orthotist and the right insoles can help with more minor degrees of valgus.
I still wear insoles to cushion my knees and tilt my feet outwards slightly.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks