TKR So happy Surgery is behind me!

That’s alot! I’m jealous you have horses though. I’m an animal lover - at least I have a cat!
My PT and I discussed the fact that I may be doing too much too soon. I’m going to have rest days now and use less stairs and see if that improves anything. I think Friday may be my last day of PT.

I’m in FL now for 2 months at a condo on the beach. My knee is 4 months+ one week. I try not to do too much but I want to be out on the beach. Unfortunately I am stiff most days and my ROM seems worse by my estimate. However I’m doing all new activities (since surgery) swimming, beach walking (limited) and painting the guest room (one wall a day but does involve a step ladder). There are no stairs here so that hasn’t been an issue. I elevate my leg whenever I sit on the couch. I’ve been here for 2 weeks and no improvement yet. Although I am not regularly taking Advil or Tylenol anymore and I realize I can finally sleep on all sides fairly comfortably. Also when I feel my knee these days it is finally starting to feel like a part of me. So there have been some gains. On the fence wether my recovery is normal. I did stop most activity after PT ended when I was still at home. Some days were ok but no real improvement in stiffness or ROM. In FL I’ve had a couple days that felt less stiff but most days even walking is a bit of a chore. I wonder now if I’m doing too little and should try more stretching or more easy walking on pavement? Should I see a surgeon down here for a 2nd opinion? If so, do you have recommendations in the Vero Beach/West Palm Beach areas on the Atlantic side?

Once I was discharged from PT, I found that if I didn't continue to do the exercises regularly my leg was so stiff and tight, and the ROM felt worse. I'm sure everyone's different, but I found my sweet spot to be doing the formal strengthening exercises every other day. Daily, I still do the stretching exercises and the stationary bike and of course daily activities & walking. But those strengthening exercises still help me a lot, so I do them every other day on average.

@thneed thanks for your reply. Could I ask what stretching and strengthening exercises you do? My PT left me with 3:
1. kneeling on all fours on the bed trying to sit back (frustrating because I can’t sit back at all - she said it’s an advanced stretch)
2. Bridges laying on my back with knees bent
3. Quad stretch using yoga strap laying on the bed with left leg hanging down

I have to admit I haven’t been doing them more than a couple of times a week.

Stretches are calf stretches and hamstring stretches. I either do them with a strap while lying on the bed, or standing up with a step. I sort of consider the stationery bike a stretch too, because it loosens up my knees.

Strengthening include:
Heel slides or any variation (like using the wall, leg hanging off the bed/chair, etc.), basically working on that bend.
Straight leg raises, long arcs, and short arcs; I need to add weights because these are too easy now and I don't think they are doing much.
Bridge like you described.
Lying on side and raising either top or bottom leg, there are a couple different exercises with this.
Stairs.
Walking in different manners (marching, sidways squat, etc.); not sure I need to still do these but they are fun and get me moving.
Sit-to-stand (again, not sure I still need to do these but exercise is exercise, lol).

That's all I can think of for now. I never heard of your #1, that sounds painful. I try to avoid getting on my knees anywhere, even a bed.

And if you are only doing yours a couple times a week, that might be enough for you. We are all different. You need to find what works for your knee.

Thanks for sending! Appreciate you! My knee confuses me so I’m not always sure what helps (or hurts) but I think I should go back to daily stretches. I may already feel a little looser from doing that this morning. At home I went to strength training classes 2-3 times a week that covered many of your exercises above. Will have to keep up a little.
I left my pedal exerciser at home and all of my old PT exercise sheets. Probably a mistake but I thought gentle pool exercises would take their place.
I think I’ll feel better when the guest room painting job is complete. Having guests this weekend and next so pushing to get everything in shape.

Pool exercises sound great! I did pool PT when I did pre-hab the summer before my first surgery. The only thing to be careful about is that it doesn't feel difficult at all, so it's easy to over-do it and you won't feel it until later. So maybe just do the same amount/intensity as you would do out of the pool, so you don't do too much and pay for it later.

Stretches are the best, honestly. If I know I'm going to be walking a lot that day (shopping or an outing or whatever), I always stretch before leaving the house. That makes a world of difference to me.

Good luck with the painting! I am only a week behind you with my second knee, but I don't think I'm ready to paint a room yet, even though I have 2 big projects to do this year. And have fun in Florida!!

I love to paint and see the room transform. It is a bit harder than I thought but I’m keeping it short every day. Thanks again for your reply and pool advice.

Two months on the beach...sounds heavenly, Bridgy.
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful time creating new memories.
Enjoy!
@Bridgy

Thank you Layla!

Now at my 6 month mark! Still struggling bu

Hit enter by mistake… anyhew- still struggling but some slow improvements. I’m back home from FL and rarely used stairs there so am getting reacquainted. Going up I can still feel tightness but can do it. Going down is harder but I can turn a little sideways and be ok.
I’m up to 10,000 steps some days but it still takes a little toll. I’m back to my strength class 3x/wk and can do everything they do except for exercises requiring kneeling.
My flexion does not seem to have gotten any better sadly. I’m working on accepting that (and hoping something magical will happen with more time) My left knee still looks larger than my right and is usually warmer to touch. Sigh - still healing.
Thankfully I’m not in pain (usually) unless you classify stiffness as pain. I sleep fine on all sides - and weaned off of Tylenol PM.

I know I am only halfway to the year mark and more improvements will come. I meet some TKR patients who tell me that has been their experience. I meet even more that say they were totally healed and fine within just a month or two. As I lay here with my leg elevated and packed with ice, I wonder why it’s such a long journey for some of us?

Another question I have is what antibiotic your surgeons are having you take before dental procedures?

Mine is giving me 12 Clindamycin tablets 4 per day for 3 days. This seems like overkill and my periodontist says it’s unwarranted. Apparently the new thinking is antibiotics are no longer needed for the average patient unless there is some prior risk of infection. And Clindamycin is never recommended due to possible severe side effects.

As I lay here with my leg elevated and packed with ice, I wonder why it’s such a long journey for some of us?
We would all like to know the answer to this question. Everyone reacts differently to surgery. Then there is the time you limped around pre-op. So many issues can have an impact on recovery length.

The good news is you will get there - just at your own pace!
Mine is giving me 12 Clindamycin tablets 4 per day for 3 days. This seems like overkill and my periodontist says it’s unwarranted. Apparently the new thinking is antibiotics are no longer needed for the average patient unless there is some prior risk of infection. And Clindamycin is never recommended due to possible severe side effects.
This is an age old debate. I asked my surgeon, my dentist and my GP about antibiotics before general dental procedures. All said not needed. Over prescribing has caused a spike in infections that no longer react to antibiotics. If you had an infected tooth or were having an invasive procedure the need might be warranted.

I agree, the dosage prescribed sounds very excessive. Perhaps ask your family doctor for their input. The decision is really yours.

The latest thinking in the UK according to my dentist is that antibiotics are not indicated post knee surgery.
I have mild low white count ( neutropaenia)- so I have been told by an infectious disease doctor that it might be a good idea for me to have antibiotics if I had an extraction or root canal work but not for anything more minor.
I had clindomycin IV recently for septicaemia and it is really a nasty antibiotic. Horrible diarrhoea and the skin on my fingers started peeling. I really wouldn't take it unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for letting me know and that the U.K. is the same! After reading about it, I won’t take clindamycin again for dental appts.

Bridgy, great to see you dropping by! You were just a month after me and I read your thread often. It IS a long journey for some of us. I just told a friend of mine, this surgery has unearthed stores of patience I never knew I had (or ever wanted to need)! You and I are just about halfway there. Still a lot of healing to go. But we can do this! We have made it through the worst. I hope you keep improving more than you’d even hoped for :flwrysmile:

Hi, I was put on Amoxicillin 500mg x 4 capsules one hour prior to dental procedure. So far I have used it once when having a crown done without any side effects. My daughter's father-in-law couldn't make it to their wedding because he got a heart infection from a dental procedure. I am going to keep taking it as needed. Clindamycin is a strong antibiotic. I wouldn't agree with that choice for this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back