TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

Jaycee,
Two or three years ago, after the consultant who did the original replacement seemingly washed his hands of me, I was sent to see another consultant with a view to determining if the pain problem originated from my hips and not my knee. I was told my hips were ok. I was then sent to a knee clinic. The consultant here told me that I should never have had a RTKR and that there was nothing that could now be done. He did note that my kneecap had not been lined. Then along came Covid, so another suggested solution - the use of a botulin went out the window, The neurosurgeon didn't think it would work anyway!

In October last year, realising that I was not likely to improve, I picked up on the unlined kneecap comment. I had a consultation with Mr Zahn and asked him if this could be the cause of the problem. He instigated several investigations and a SPECT scan (in which I was injected with a radioactive chemical which concentrates at the sites of pain causing problem areas) and this showed, unequivocally, that the problem was at the patella.
Mr Zahn has informed me of an 85% chance of success following relining, which are pretty good odds.

I have to say that I am quite put out in the way that I have been treated by the NHS. I think my original consultant was only too happy to see the back of me and I think the fact that my kneecap had not been resurfaced should have been picked up on by someone other than me. Finally, I lost many months because the NHS lost the October 2021 referral letter from my GP to Mr Zahn and some weeks because a face-to-face appointment, with Mr Zahn was changed to a telephone appointment but nobody told him. So, he was, at the clinic waiting for me to put in an appearance and I was at home waiting for him to call!

Sorry about the rant, but I feel better for it!

Kindest Regards, Jim

Oh my, you have earned the right to rant! Thank God you finally have a day for the surgery. You can come here and rant anytime you want to.

Sorry about the rant, but I feel better for it!
No problem! So many patients have been caught in the chaos and confusion caused by Covid. Our NHS just isn't designed to cope with the volume.

In any case it sounds like Zahn has done a very extensive analysis of your situation (as usual). He likes to know exactly what may be needed before any procedure. I'll be following your progress!

Thanks for your kind comments.
I have found this forum to be absolutely invaluable!

The hospital where I plan to have my op. have now doubled the cost to over £20k. I am rather hoping they have made a mistake because another, local, hospital does a full TKR for under £14k.
They are checking......

I agree, I hope it’s a mistake!

I hope all goes well for you. :flwrysmile:

Hi everyone,

Both the costs that I had recently been given for my Patellar resurfacing (~£11k & £20k) were wrong.
I have now a formal price of £6,095 which is quite reasonable.
The day of the operation will be January 5th 2023.
Fingers (and everything else) crossed it works.

Well done on getting this sorted and confirming a date! Fingers crossed for you! :fingersx:

Best wishes for tomorrow, JamesAB
Let us know how you're doing post op when you're feeling up to it. We'll be here. :)
@JamesAB

Good afternoon,

My patella resurfacing was carried out last Thursday and as far as I can tell at this point seems to have been a success. Although I am suffering the usual post-operative pain, swelling and discomfort it is really very minimal.

It did take me over 2 hours to get up two flights of stairs to bed yesterday but only 15 minutes today - a real improvement!

Most importantly, the pain that I had when attempting to walk after the original RTKR, over four years ago, has completely vanished.
I will take a while to see how thing progress but, I have to say that at this point I am highly optimistic.

I am so grateful that it is entirely due to this forum and in particular, @Jaycey that I found what I hope will now prove to be the solution to my problems"

It sounds like things are going really well in your recovery! I pray it turns out to be everything you hope it will be.

@JamesAB So happy to read you are finally on the other side of this surgery. And I was more than happy to help you in finding a solution.

Everything crossed that this resolves the problem. Please take it slow and steady for now. Time to recover from all the trauma. You are on your way!

@Jaycey Once again, thank you very much for your help and advice for it was you who got me pointed in the right direction by recommending the excellent Surgeon, Mr Helmut Zahn.

With hindsight, I think that the fact that I was having the years of pain and the fact that my kneecap had not been relined in the original TKR should have been picked up and acted on by my GP or one of the consultants that I saw post November 2018 in an effort to diagnose the problem. The remark by one of them that "I note the kneecap was not relined" was acted on only by me and led to my contacting Mr Zahn privately. After his recent resurfacing procedure he told me that the kneecap was in a bad way, was difficult to get at and was worn concave!

Of course, I do not know at this point how successful the procedure has been because I am suffering some mild post-operative pain. However it does seem that the "old" pain has completely gone and I do believe that this saga is coming to an end.

With Grateful Thanks to all at "Bonesmart,"

Jim

After his recent resurfacing procedure he told me that the kneecap was in a bad way, was difficult to get at and was worn concave!
Wow - no wonder you were in pain! So glad you could get this corrected.

Resurfacing can sometimes take a bit longer than recovery from TKR. Just be patient and listen to that knee. Take any pain meds around the clock, as prescribed. It's important to stay ahead of the pain at this stage.

I’m so glad to read that they found an issue to fix for you! Best wishes!

Wow... @JamesAB .... what a long road you've been down in getting your knee sorted out! Good for you for being persistent and assertive! I'm so glad to know that Jaycey's recommendations have been helpful too. I agree with you that the cost for going private for this procedure seems to be very reasonable. Here's to good days ahead for you in your recovery. I'll be following your progress.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks