TKR Michele's RTKR recovery journey

sang in our Christmas choir musical at church
I sang in ours on the 11th. It was such a blessing!
My sweet PT is just so surprised that I’m gaining degrees this late.
I find it so strange that many PTs still believe that it's a time frame for getting ROM. You'd think that through the years they would have learned that ROM can improve over years.
I told her again that what we’re seeing is what I’ve said all along - as my swelling continues to slowly go down my rom improves
Yep, that is one of the main things that inhibit the bend and sometimes even the straightening. Get the swelling down and the ROM improves.

Cheleigh, so good to hear from you! It sounds like you’re doing GREAT! Going up stairs two at a time, wow!! Sounds like some wonderful holiday activities, and oh, a birthday! I just had a birthday too so happy birthday to us :) It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your pt which is really nice. I’m glad she’s so supportive and it’s funny how you are surprising her with your continual ROM improvement :heehee: I really don’t know why pt’s don’t know that it improves more as time goes by. Where did this 6 -8 week myth come from anyway? Anyway, I am still rooting for you, as always, and so encouraged to hear about your progress. Merry Christmas! :wreath:

Such a cheerful and wonderful update, Cheleigh.
Thanks so much for sharing.
A belated Happy Birthday to you and best wishes for a very Merry Christmas!
@Cheleigh
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Glad to hear that you’re doing great and able to do most of your traditional holiday activities! I feel like I’m about 75% back to normal, but the last 25% will take a while. My family and I are taking a 2 hour flight to Denver on Friday to spend Christmas with my in-laws, but then we have to fly home on Christmas evening because my daughter has Rose Parade rehearsal on the 26th.

I do woodworking as a hobby and like to give homemade gifts when I can, but that’s something I had to dial back a bit this year. I’ve been out in my shop a little bit, but I can’t spend all weekend out there like I have under more normal circumstances. A few people are going to get “your gift is under construction and will be delivered a little bit later” notes. Santa’s workshop is a little bit behind schedule.

I hope you have a great Christmas with your family and can keep the progress going!

Happy Nee year! How was the Rose Parade @panammaniac ?

We have had sickness go through my house since I wrote last. We didn’t even celebrate Christmas Day. We had candlelight service at church Christmas Eve but that was it. My daughter had double ear infection and pink eye and was literally in bed for 6 days. She hasn’t been that sick ever. I’m glad she’s feeling most normal today. We’re celebrating Christmas this evening with my in-laws and Monday with my mom.

I know y’all say not to worry about ROM but that’s what I’m doing today. I am so concerned that the awful dr messed up my thinking and maybe I should have gotten the MUA. I wonder if I had trusted him with my care, would I have done it. I know my ROM continues to improve but now that swelling is almost gone I just worry that it won’t improve anymore and I’ll be stuck at this ROM —- it’s taking so long. I am still numb and don’t know how that effect ROM… I’m just doing the comparison thing again… a man I know just had second tkr (he had his first 4 weeks after mine) and is at 115 ROM and the tkr from the fall is already 130. I wish I understood how some can bounce back almost immediately and others takes so so long. So this is a prayer for 2023… that my ROM comes back to normal.

Enough whining. How is everyone? I commented on the New Years Even thread… still feeling kinda goofy on the news feed because all it shows me is comments not really new posts… Gotta figure that out. Anyway, Happy New Year, sweet BoneSmart friends! I’m glad to have met y’all this year!

Even if you don't see swelling outside your knee you probably still have swelling inside. Inside that knee is very little extra space and any fluid will make it tight and harder to bend. Your knee is only 1/3 of the way healed and should continue to improve as time goes on. I bet you 2023's going to be a year in that you see plenty of improvement!

I know my ROM continues to improve but now that swelling is almost gone I just worry that it won’t improve anymore and I’ll be stuck at this ROM —- it’s taking so long.
I had the same worries, my ROM was poor my whole first year. I had a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. 4 months is 1/3 healed, so you still have lots of healing to do. Try to relax and trust.

Happy New Year, Cheleigh!

Let go of that ROM worry! You WILL get there! It’s been too long since you were on BoneSmart haha! :) Remember that there are literally THOUSANDS of people who have been on BoneSmart sharing their recovery journeys. The staff here has seen it all! And they have seen that ROM really does just keep on coming.

Don’t worry about the ones who have great flexion right away…they’re not you! Your knee is your own and it will take the time it needs to take. But like so many others, your ROM is going grow and grow.

I’m 3 weeks ahead of you and mine continues to improve as time goes by. I haven’t measured it at all because I found it just stressed me out! But my stride is better, so many things that require bend are much easier, and I went from not being able to make a rotation on the bike to being able to do it. It has gone on to get easier and easier and now I have lowered the seat. All these things tell me my ROM continues to improve.

Don’t listen to those little voices of doubt! Honor and respect your knee in its healing journey by giving it the time it needs. Some of us might take longer, but that just means we gain extra patience and determination! Wishing you loads of those in the New Year, plus plenty of hope and healing :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Stopping by to wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary!

Wow, your family had a rough time over Christmas. Thankfully you're all well and finally able to gather with family to celebrate.

Try not to worry about your ROM, time and patience will get you to where you need to be in 2023!

Many blessings to you in the new year, Cheleigh! :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Cheleigh

Happy New Year almost! I so understand how you feel. I just got to FL yesterday and tried walking on the beach sand for the first time. It went so well, I walked a mile. Today I could barely walk. I wonder when the stiffness will ever go away and if/when the ROM will return to any semblance of normal. I was happy that I drove 20 hours in two days without my leg hurting too much but that balloon burst when I realized how slow I will have to take it with my normal beach/swimming activities. I can’t help feeling that my vitality is draining away as I have to get used to this knee disability. I only hope and pray that I will get more function with time. I guess what I’m saying is you are not alone. Cheers to a better 2023!

Happy New Year, @Cheleigh! Thanks for checking in! Sorry to hear about the illness that spread through your family. I had an adventure of my own. The short story is I got stuck in the Southwest Airlines mess, but it all worked out in the end. I’ll post the full story in my own thread soon.

The Rose Parade is on January 2 this year because they have an agreement with the churches along the route to never have it in a Sunday. We are definitely looking forward to it!

Keep on improving! I know you will have much better days ahead of you!

The staff here has seen it all! And they have seen that ROM really does just keep on coming.
I hope this quote tags you @JusticeRider if not sorry for the double tag haha if there's such a thing. THANK YOU for this reminder. I was kinda feeling some sort of whiny way New Years Eve.
Inside that knee is very little extra space and any fluid will make it tight and harder to bend. Your knee is only 1/3 of the way healed and should continue to improve as time goes on.
@sistersinhim I was wondering about inside! Thank you so much for confirming. It definitely still feels weird inside.
I had an adventure of my own. The short story is I got stuck in the Southwest Airlines mess, but it all worked out in the end. I’ll post the full story in my own thread soon.
@panammaniac I think I tried to follow you but you've reached the max. I will try again. I'm glad your airline situation got worked out.
I wonder when the stiffness will ever go away and if/when the ROM will return to any semblance of normal.

I can’t help feeling that my vitality is draining away as I have to get used to this knee disability
@Bridgy My PT today said to expect it to last through the first 6-12 months. It varies so much with different people. I feel you so much on vitality too. If we don't give up and keep going, we'll get back to our former vitality. My PT said very early on, "remember what it was like when you first started working out and building muscle? Go back there to the beginning and start." hahaa! I didn't like that, but she was right.

I had a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal.
@Jockette That is so wonderful to know! It's pretty annoying to hear chatterers, "you won't get much ROM after the first 3 months". I always appreciate your encouragement.
Wow, your family had a rough time over Christmas. Thankfully you're all well and finally able to gather with family to celebrate.

Try not to worry about your ROM, time and patience will get you to where you need to be in 2023!
Thank you, sweet @Layla ! Some days are harder than others. I appreciate your sweet encouragement all the time.

18 weeks Post Op I was released from Physical Therapy today. My sweet PT said she can no longer teach me anything or get any further in progress with me as I am fully functional, healthy and doing quite well. I gained 5 degrees since my last visit on 12/20 so I finished out at ROM 100. It was so bittersweet to say goodbye to my PT's because they truly have been a Godsend during this time when I had such awful aftercare from my surgeon. They were the best cheerleaders and did their jobs better than I could have asked. I'm so thankful for them and thankful to finally get to 100 ROM. In the month of December my ROM increased 8 degrees - and they say you don't get much ROM after 3 mos. wink wink.

My sweet PT said she can no longer teach me anything or get any further in progress with me as I am fully functional, healthy and doing quite well.
:egypdance: :yay::happydance:Music to your ears!
So wonderful, Cheleigh

In the month of December my ROM increased 8 degrees - and they say you don't get much ROM after 3 mos. wink wink.
You are just beginning in your bend increasing. Mine got even better as time went on. There is no time limit for gaining ROM! Mine even increased when I lost some weight because the extra fat on my leg wasn't in the way. It is the same way with the fluid being in the way and as it comes off your bend will improve.

Happy Saturday, you all! Quick question about muscle lumps :yikes:. (Hahaa at that emoji). Do you have them in your quad or around your new knee? The more I exercise I get them and it’s so weird. I don’t know what I can be doing to prevent them or help them other than “scraping” them (which is something my PT did with a tool that looked like a butter knife). Thanks for any ideas.:thankyou:

I really don't understand your statement about muscle lumps. How do you describe them?

@sistersinhim Hey there! Sorry for taking so long... It's tight spots usually right around my knee cap. It's really sensitive and eventually goes away but it's just really weird and like nothing I've ever experienced, like a cramped up muscle but in one little lumpy spot or two.

It sounds like you might be having swelling in spots since it's going away. Have you iced these areas and then they go away? If so, more than likely is swelling in different areas.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back