THR 1 week in to THR No. 2

Briansipe

Country
United States United States
Hello,
Just had my second THR (left on 12/23) after my first on Dec. 20, 2021.
Male age 52. Had been limping around and in pain for 3 years before finding enough guts to get my first one done.
After total success I took the plunge and got my second one done.
Found this website and thought I would check in and share some of my journey to help anyone who is thinking about THR but is leery.
I was very leery as late as when they were rolling me into the OR for No. 1.
But I am so glad I went through with both.
Can’t wait to play golf and coach high school softball pain free for the first time in 3 years come springtime.
Thanks for listening and I will check in periodically with my progress.

Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us!
We'd love to follow your progress and support you along the way, so please stop back often. It sounds like you're off to a good start! I will leave our Recovery Guidelines below with best wishes for a wonderful 2023!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:welome:

Double hippy happy (soon)

I had both hips replaced at age 53 and am so happy to have my life back.
2023 will be sweet!:yes!:

Hello all,
Exactly 1 week in to THR No. 2 and feeling pretty good. Had some knee and ankle discomfort last night but am sticking to
My doctors med recommendations and the ankle and knee feel better this AM.
Looking for some advice/tips In getting in and out of vehicles. Everyone around where I live (Midwest us) have trucks and suvs because of the weather. It’s tough getting in and out of those type vehicles. I know I had a really tough time coming home from hospital.
Any tricks/ tips to make it a bit easier?
Thanks in advance!

I have a big Chevy 2500 work truck, and even with bars it was too tall for me. I'm about 5'2". So I used a light plastic step stool for extra height.
Seat all the way back, step stool to bars, grab handle thingie inside the cab, and in one butt cheek at a time. A plastic store bag on the seat helps with scooting into position.
If The Old Ball 'n Chain wasn't around to pick up the step stool for me, I used leash made of baling twine to haul it up. A heavy duty grabber worked for setting it down once I got where I was going; lower it with the leash then grabber it into position.
Yep, it was quite a jacked up production but it worked :ok:
Nowadays I can climb in and hop right out no problem...haven't been able to do that for years. I hope you get there too!

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you've been doing well since you last posted.
We'd love to hear about your progress if you have the time to share an update. Hope to hear from you soon! :wave:
@Briansipe

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom