THR Waiting Right hip replacement

Ldm380

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Im back after getting my left hip replaced in November 2018. I thought I would get longer with my right hip, but it wasn’t ment to be. It’s been all good, but boy when it decides to give up, it does so extremely quickly. I’m hoping that it’s not going to be too much of a long wait with the NHS. I was extremely lucky to be within the 18 weeks guideline back in 2018. I won’t be so apprehensive with this one as I know the recovery process and how great I felt with no pain and basically getting my life back when I had the first one down.

Welcome back! Sorry it's under the circumstances, but it sounds like it's time and when you know...you know! Especially having been there once already. I hope this surgery and recovery is as easy as your last, or even better.

Let us know when you get it scheduled and we'll add it to your signature. I'll leave some pre-op reading as a refresher.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :santa-dance:

HIP PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

@Ldm380 Welcome back! Sorry you need more surgery!

Are you on the wait list now? If not - please do get you place in line. The lists are long but I do know surgeons are scheduling extra days to try and cut down the wait.

What hospital are you using? I might be able to get some information on the wait times.

I saw my consultant on the 8th November at Rivers Hospital in Sawbridgeworth, under NHS. Not heard anything as yet, hopefully will get a date soon. I was very lucky back in 2018 and was seen pretty quickly. I know it only gets worst so made sure that I’m on that list sooner rather than later.

Merry Christmas

Unfortunately it looks like the wait time for that hospital is 51 weeks or longer. Did the consultant say anything about the length of time you might need to wait? What other hospitals is the surgeon using in your area?

Perhaps make sure the surgeon's office knows you would be willing to accept an earlier date if there is a cancellation.

Wow know wonder I haven’t received a date. I think the surgeon is also at Harlow hospital. When I spoke to him he did say 4 to 6 months but he may not of known how bad the waiting list was. The surgeon is Mr Aldam.

Charles Aldam also has a practice at Princess Alexandra Hospital. Their wait times are the same I am afraid. The surgeon may be able to work you in earlier. But let's hope for a cancellation! :fingersx:

Hi @Ldm380 Is it not possible to take the funding out of your area and go with another Ramsey hospital. Have you tried their hospital in Colchester? Shorter waiting list I believe and their breakfasts much better.

Is it not possible to take the funding out of your area and go with another Ramsey hospital.
In theory this is possible. However both areas would need to agree and @Ldm380 would need to find another surgeon in the new area.

We don't recommend traveling any great distance for surgery. It means all followup would require travel.

Hi @Ldm380 Is it not possible to take the funding out of your area and go with another Ramsey hospital. Have you tried their hospital in Colchester? Shorter waiting list I believe and their breakfasts much better.
It may be worth looking into if the waiting time is so far ahead. I’m keeping Mobile at the moment more stiffness than pain. I try not to walk to much as I have found that walking can leave me in pain for a few days. I will update once I hear from the hospital.

I am on the list for a new hip in January. The waiting times are so long at the West Suffolk hospital that I am raiding my retirement funds to get it done at the local private hospital.
However, I know the doctors are working around the clock to reduce the waiting list.
if it is a straightforward hip replacement you might be able to have the operation on the NHS but at the private hospital. The waiting list is shorter there than at the NHS hospital.
That is possible here at any rate.
it is the same surgeons whichever you go to.

Good Luck anyway.

Hi ladyj, the hospital is a private hospital but I will be under the NHS. It’s the same hospital and surgeon who did my left hip in 2018. I did expect a longer wait due to Covid the last few years. I’m going to give them a call at the end of January to see if they have any idea when it may be.

Hi LDM380,

I think that sounds very sensible. I do hope they can fit you in soon. It is good if you can have the same surgeon.
I have to have my hip done this month, and at the very least a partial knee replacement in the summer,
But, hey, we’ll get there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom