THR Kazza22's Recovery

Hi. I would like to ask a question, I think I'm meant to add it to be ongoing thread but can't seem to find "me", lol. Been looking on my phone for 10 minutes. How do you post and do I need to add it to my thread? If so, how can I do this quickly? Sorry for being a technophobe!!

If you click on your name and then when it comes up click on your name again and you will see postings. Then you can find your link. I hope this helps

I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Thankyou for the instructions, think it's using my phone not laptop so don't get both toolbars. Know now though.

So, I'm 10 weeks post LTHR now. Definitely some improvements but sleep is still very disrupted, mainly from calf aches/pain. PT says I've got compression of sciatic nerve junction (near my knee). Has anyone had similar? If so, any suggestions for how/if I can lessen the pain (and get some decent sleep!) I'm taking my last oxy today, decided I don't want to renew prescription but worried lesser meds will be enough, paracetamol doesnt touch it but I used tramadol pre-op and still have some left. Hoping, when they run out, i won't need anymore. 5 years of nsaids and I want to be off them. Thankyou so much for your advice and support xx

One way to not need a lot of pain medication is to not do a lot of things that increase your pain level. Things like, too much PT, or too many at home exercises, or getting back into a busy schedule, before you are truly healed enough to do so.

Pace yourself, and continue to elevate, and ice, if you have swelling. Take your time with your recovery and give your knee the privilege of sorting itself out. It will, if you let it. Don’t look at a slower pace as doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best opportunity to heal. :flwrysmile:

PT says I've got compression of sciatic nerve junction (near my knee).
Gentle hamstring stretches from a seated position helped me. Be sure and start very gently as many times the hamstrings are very tight post op.
Thankyou for the link. My pt did tell me to do stretches with a towel which I am doing, and does relieve the pain just after doing them but night time gets really bad

One way to not need a lot of pain medication is to not do a lot of things that increase your pain level. Things like, too much PT, or too many at home exercises, or getting back into a busy schedule, before you are truly healed enough to do so.

Pace yourself, and continue to elevate, and ice, if you have swelling. Take your time with your recovery and give your knee the privilege of sorting itself out. It will, if you let it. Don’t look at a slower pace as doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best opportunity to heal. :flwrysmile:
Hi @Jockette. I had a hip replacement, not knee, the knee pain/weakness has just started this week. I'm really not overdoing it, pt, at home exercises or even walking. I've had pain and limited mobility for 5+ years due to this and my previous hip replacement so an old hand at 'taking it easy'. I do have some groin/hip pain tonight because I've been decorating the Xmas tree, putting up Xmas lights and walked the dog so probably have overdone it a bit but the lower leg pain is every night, regardless of how easy I take things.

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd give an update on my recovery now I'm 12 weeks post LTHR. The last two weeks have seen some good improvement - I'm off the oxycodone and just take 2 tramadol early evening which lasts me pretty much 24hours! As per my PT's advice, I keep the duvet off my lower legs at night and it seems to have made a huge difference in the fidgets/aches at night and so I'm sleeping sooo much better and no longer needing to go downstairs for a couple of hours each night to ice, massage etc. This, as you all probably know, has a hugely positive effect on mood and energy in the day Also, I'm no longer using my crutch so yey, at last, feeling a bit more normal. So, for anyone that feels totally deflated, like I was at 8 weeks, I am testament that it DOES get better

What wonderful news and such positive improvement.
I am happy for you and sense that you're pleased with your progress, as you should be. Your update will be an encouragement for those following behind you so thanks for taking the time to share the good news! @Kazza22

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

What wonderful news and such positive improvement.
I am happy for you and sense that you're pleased with your progress, as you should be. Your update will be an encouragement for those following behind you so thanks for taking the time to share the good news! @Kazza22

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
Thank you @Layla. I thought it was important to share as I had found the first 8-10 weeks hard going and it is worrying when you feel things aren't improving. I still can't walk for miles but I'm getting there, my muscles were in such a mess due to years of problems but they're definitely feeling stronger each week. Two weeks ago I literally had to drag myself up the stairs if I used my operated leg to step up but now I can walk with just a slight support. It's progress like this that you notice and smile about

:wave:@Kazza22

So glad things are starting to look brighter!:) :-) (:

With all of the differing timelines for individual recoveries, and because I think its hard to know what is Normal for each of us for recovering from THR... feeling anxious is certainly understandable.
I know I had a pile of nervous questions for the first 4 months of my recovery.
Glad you are sharing your progress!

*I changed your thread title but if you prefer another, let us know

:wave:@Kazza22

So glad things are starting to look brighter!:) :-) (:

With all of the differing timelines for individual recoveries, and because I think its hard to know what is Normal for each of us for recovering from THR... feeling anxious is certainly understandable.
I know I had a pile of nervous questions for the first 4 months of my recovery.
Glad you are sharing your progress!

*I changed your thread title but if you prefer another, let us know
Thank you for the title change, that's fab. Indeed, the change perfectly reflects how I'm feeling now...not yet 100% but recovering

Happy Three Month Anniversary! :banana-santa:
All the best to you!
@Kazza22

Hi @Kazza,
I just read your whole story and jumping in with my 2 cents as I've had some of the same problems:

1). For the leg length problems (I have slight scoliosis too) be sure to have professional orthotic shoe inserts made and wear them every.single.day. I wear them in my sneakers and If I don't, I have terrible calf/shin aches at night. I think it might also help relieve that sciatic nerve compression.
Gone are the days of cute flats (forget heels). If I can't put the orthotic in it, I won't wear it:)

2). Fast shin relief: Theraice shin wraps. Buy several to always have them in your freezer. Slip one on before you go to bed. They fit snuggly and aren't wet and won't fall off. Perfect. I use a little Arnica cream first on my shins to give them a good numbing:)

3). Magnesium. It's supposed to help. Just make sure it's ok to take with your other meds.

I hope these little things help xo
Allie

Hi everyone. I'm 4 months post LHR and things are generally improving but in the past week, I'm getting discomfort/some pain in my groin. Do you think this is anything to worry about? I don't think I've done anything to damage it and haven't had groin pain at all since the op but it's very tender and making sleep difficult again (just as I'd finally got back to decent sleep). Thank you

@Kazza22 In the past week have you done anything differently. Started any new activity? Lifted something heavy or moved things like furniture?

Does this pain ease with rest?

@Kazza22 In the past week have you done anything differently. Started any new activity? Lifted something heavy or moved things like furniture?

Does this pain ease with rest?
I don't think I've done anything, certainly nothing major that I felt pain at the time. The pain is always there, I'm able to walk still, if anything, it's worse when I'm sitting/lying down

Kazza,
I'm still getting groin pain off and on, nothing intense but I know it's there at times.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson