TKR Sudden Knee Pain 9 yrs post

TKRVT2013

Country
United States United States
I have TKR on my left knee in 2013. Recovery was uneventful, and the years have been great with the knee. I am able to walk my dogs, ride bikes, and stay active. Not one issue. Suddenly, last night while sitting on the bed talking on the phone, I experienced a pain level of 10 that seems to be below and maybe behind my kneecap as I tried to shift myself. Since then, I am not able to bend my leg without severe pain. Bending it is impossible because of the pain. I need to either keep it bent or keep it straight - moving it at all is pretty severe pain. Funny thing is, about 6 weeks ago, I went to my doc about the other knee, and he took an x-ray of the replacement knee and said it looked like new. Anyone have ideas? I am hoping to contact my doc this morning about it. Thanks for your help

Welome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us, especially under the circumstances. I am sorry you're struggling with pain and uncertainty right now. Aside from overdoing it with activity, or possibly twisting in a way that initiated the pain, I think its wise you contact your surgeon's office as you plan to. If you're nor already, icing may help relieve the pain and any swelling you may have. Please let us know what you hear today.
I wish you comfort and speedy relief.
@TKRVT2013

Please let us know what your doctor says. It sounds like something is wrong, especially since it happened so quickly.

I first posted about two weeks ago, suddenly one evening I had severe pain below and around my kneecap. I called my ortho doc, and he had x-rays just in case the knee hardware was loose or had issues. The x-rays were fine, and he suspected Hoffa's syndrome- basically an issue with one of the fat pads under the kneecap to help protect it. He said to ice it and use heat and that it would heal over time. Fast-forward to today- the knee, which I thought was a little better- the significant pain issues had become less frequent. I woke up this morning back to square one, not able to put any weight on it because of the pain. Advil and ice helped, and I was able to hobble around today. Suddenly this afternoon, I have audible clicking when I walk, and there is periodic significant pain on the outside of the knee too. I do not have a good feeling about this at all. I have a call into my doc and will post back with what I learn.

It sounds very concerning. I am praying for you and I hope you will keep us posted.

Hello @TKRVT2013
I am sorry you're having difficulty bearing weight and dealing with pain. I hope you've found some relief since Wednesday and have spoken with your surgeon's office.
Please stay in touch, we do care.

@TKRVT2013, this does sound like a loose implant. Of course, if you didn't have any symptoms before two weeks ago, it seems less likely. X-rays don't always show everything so hopefully, the doctor will send you for an MRI or something like that. Something has definitely changed in your knee and you need to find out what!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom