THR second hip and thankfully the last

steveeasy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had my first hip in October 2022. I was concerned as no xrays were taken. I was made to choose which hip on the day, I left with what was a long leg and had absolutely no consultation with the surgeon. All turned out well and given it was funded by the NHS was grateful that all turned out well. The hospital was keen to do the next one yesterday 16th December, again no xrays or any consultation.

I was booked in at 7.30 in the morning. I am smart, polite and on time. I decided to not consider any leg length discrepancies. Just put my trust in to them fully. I had my surgery by 9.30 in the morning. put in a room and had pads on my legs. I was left with no checks. no painkillers. sandwiches and tea. At 5 pm I asked if I could get up to go to the toilet. I was told they were busy. at 8.30pm I asked again and was told I was not allowed to get up as I had only just had treatment. they thought id only just been operated on. I was offered a pot to poo in to. after further discussions I was helped to the toilet.

This morning I woke with an awful amount of pain. I spoke to a Dr early and explained the pain I was in and was worried about expectations with the physio. I also asked if I could put underwear on to prepare for the day. Trying to be proactive and positive. before any painkillers turned up the male physio came in. he seamed ok. I discussed the pain I was in and explained id like to leave to day but was worried as I could not even put my foot down or lift my leg an inch. My hip has been dreadful prior to surgery and no muscle strength left.

What followed was 20 mins or utter torture. I was told it was all in my mind when I tried in utter pain to lift my foot. He then grabbed my leg and lifted it fully up and forward that left me in tears. I've never been in so much pain. He then put me on the bed lifted and swung my operated leg round on to the bed put the sides up and said he had other things to do. he would come back when id make a better effort. It left me in severe pain and all I could do was cry. I was horrified and quite frankly appalled by thinking you could keep someone in bed that long then pull them out a bed and manipulate the body that way. I felt id been assaulted quite frankly. I refused any further treatment by the physio. I asked if I could leave. they asked me to have an xray to check all was well.. I went down with a nurse to be x rayed. I mentioned to the man doing this I was in a lot of pain and could he be gentle.

The surgeon then refused to carry out the xray. there was no rude behaviour. I was polite but asked to be treated considerately. I waited 5 hours to do bloods and tried to have the xray done as it was the rational thing to do. the surgeon said no. I have contacted the police and reported the matter as an assault.

I find it totally unbelievable anyone can operate on a patient. leave them in a bed to not move at all. then pull them out a bed and expect thier limbs to operate normally. there was no attempt by the physio to utter any apology for the pain he inflicted on me. the surgeon then refusing to carry out the xray just highlights the utter stupidity and lack of care very evident right the way through. Yes I intend to report the hospital now. There was no rudeness by me. all conversations took place behind closed doors. the nurse in charge clearly agreed what had happened and why. id discussed my pain with her early this morning.

Now having had a day slowly moving about I can put my foot down and slightly lift my leg. I have my new hip which I am very grateful for. I did however not expect to be treated in such an unpleasant manner. I will be naming and shaming as I suspect little can be proved.

I felt as if I was going to faint when I got home. I am not fragile or a woose. Very upset about it as were other people.

I do have a new hip though which i am pleased with.

Steveeasy

Last edited by a moderator:
@steveeasy So sorry your treatment was appalling in this hospital. Once you are home and calmed down a bit I suggest you write a very direct letter the the CEO of the hospital. Just detail what happened and ask that corrective action is put in place so that others don't have to suffer this treatment. You might want to copy the PALs group (Patient Advice and Liaison) within the hospital.

For now, try and relax. Rest, ice and elevate. And forget about any PT. Hips don't really need PT. And if the attitude at that hospital is so aggressive I would give PT a miss.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi,
Yes thank you for your advice. Back to plan A. Lots of rest. I have absolutely no idea how any physio could pull someone off a bed having not been in any way mobile at all since surgery 24 hrs earlier with the complications which I had showed or attempted to show them multiple times. I simply have been unable to lift my foot since the previous surgery. What happened to a gentle and no need to rush policy
I was expected to just get up and walk and told it was all in my head. he then pulled my legs around and showed absolutely no compassion when I was screaming in pain. my leg was unable to straighten and my knee was on fire. I was despicable treatment and i will ensure it is addressed. Ive no idea why it happened but I did preempt it which is why I had raised concerns prior to it. I never imagined a physio would be so utterly intent on inflicting pain. There is no reason why it would work. who would ever attempt to do that with the belief it would work.

Having been mobile all day I can only just step forward. ive written the letter already and will be writing to the relevant authorities.

Steveeasy

Wow, that's quite some story. I can appreciate that the hospitals may be understaffed and swamped, but there does come a point where minimal standards of care must be met. Most certainly they were not in your case and I'm glad you're going to pursue the matter as Jaycey suggested. If you told the therapist to stop and they didn't, that could be considered an assault as well.

I frankly have never heard of such poor treatment. Were you given no pain medications at all? Not even paracetamol? I hope you are taking that now that you're home if you are having pain. Most people right out of surgery get on a schedule with it of 1000mg every 6 hours. The maximum you can take in any 24 hour period is 4000mg and that must include any other medications you take with acetaminophen in them (like cold and sinus medicines or sleeping aids).

If the paracetamol doesn't do the job for your pain, contact your GP and ask if you could be given some Tramadol to take along with it. You are just out of a major surgical procedure for most people, some type of pain medication is very much needed for a while until things settle.

Walking is the best therapy for a new hip, but be sure you don't overdo it. You will need plenty of rest for a while to recover from the surgical trauma. Don't hesitate to ask questions after reading the links Jaycey left for you. We're here for you.

@steveeasy so sorry to hear about your ordeal and I too am happy to hear you're pursuing the matter. We're here for you, Jamie gave you some great advice and Jaycey left you the guidelines just in case they've slipped your mind. Also remember ice and elevation are helpful with pain. Please rest and hope things get better for you.

I cried reading your description of the inhumane unprofessionalism you endured. Yes, there are staff shortages and healthcare workers are burnt out. But if the shortages and burnout lead to cruelty, neglect, and abuse, then send them home and shut the place down. I'm horrified by your experience. Is there any way you can find outcome stats or patient reviews on your specific doctors and hospital from whatever state agencies regulate them? And, yes, write letters to the individuals who are "in charge." My suspicion is you'll just get the song and dance about shortages and burnout, but they never excuse patient neglect or abuse.

My sympathy to you. Take care

It was no story. Ive had real problems with my nerves in this hip. earlier I talked about the surgeon not xraying my legs and just asking me to choose which one on the day of surgery. No xrays!! could not be bothered. its simple.

I was operated on friday morning. I came round at 10 AM. I was left in bed all day. they refused to met me go to the toilet on the grounds of no patients are allowed to get up. The next morning at 7am my discharge medication was brought in and placed in a cuppboard.
I told a nice Dr I was worried about the pain I was in as I simply could move enough to even put my underwear on. I asked for painkillers. without any painkillers a male physio came in and said hed have me up and about. I remember him saying its all in your mind. do as I say. your not listening. he grabbed my legs and lift then them forward while I could hardly stand up at all with a frame. He then said he had other stuff to do and would be back when I would hopefully listen.
I called the police it was dreadful. no nurses really intervened. no one was bothered about a step by step approach. I hate the hospital, it makes me sick that a private hospital in the uk can treat people with such lack of care and dignity. they are happy to take the NHS money though. every ounce of the pain he put me thru I will use to repay them for their quality of care.
I asked to leave and stated I did not want any fuss just to get away. I asked the radiograther who took an xray after my previous surgery to too be considerate.( I was rushed down last time in a panic so the surgeon could get off home) because I asked them to be considerate they then refused to xray my surgery. the nurses were dumfounded. I was waiting for bloods and to be xrayd but the surgeon would not allow it. I have it in my release papers. he was happy to let me go without even checking his surgury. its in writting.

Last edited:
Unreal, just unreal, hope you have some meds to ease the pain and let us know what happens next.

Sorry to hear of such awful, uncaring treatment in a hospital of all places.

Time to bring out the spotlight.

Public shaming.

Find and contact the CEO, the hospital's social media, etc. Here in the states there are always consumer protection reporters on local tv news networks. Find that person or people as well.

Name and shame.

There is a reason for everything and everything has a reason. As I sat waiting for bloods in the hospital, I watched another Physio doing her work and talking. No Rush, just take your time. Only heard a few works but it was about small steps. steady progress with a smile.. So why did I get someone who was kicking me out the bed. why was I locked in a bed and not allowed to get up. I dont know the answers. I know im friendly and polite. I dont expect too much. I remember being put to sleep on the table and the surgeon talking about my hands and what I did for a living with His colleagues.

I never see this surgeon, he however pops out the woodwork as soon as a problem exists. but only a problem to him. so in terms of surgery I never see him. He came out a secret door when I was in tears. the PT had left unapologetic. Things dont happen by chance. why this male physio, why such a forceful manner. was it due to my class. why me.
Yes I get a glimps in to the person who has suffered real trauma. this wasnt but its really hurt me mentally. What a bizarre approach and attitude. the hospital have told me they will investigate the matter, but that wont happen. it was my fault, they said so before I was admitted. In the uk the police are too overstretched for issues like this. I called them for a formal record in case it developed yesterday. I had to insist on discharge notes that they were initially refusing. There is little recourse in the uk, Ill just have to hit them hard on social media, outside and the Radio. they wont get away with it though.

What’s happened to you is horrific and unforgivable.
If that’s the way they are because they’re short staffed they need to leave their profession.
I’m in that profession and no matter what is going on in my life I put a smile on my face and give the best care I can.
The hospital will try and fob you off but keep on going.
If it’s a private hospital write to the person in charge of the whole health group and copy in the hospital manager.
Also write to the CEO of the NHS hospital they have the contract with.
Like you I went to a private hospital as an NHS patient.
They are contracted and paid for the service they give and you should never have been made to feel like that.
Most private patients have health insurance from their employers as part of their employment package or join a personal health plan.
In my experience there’s very few patients who pay the £14k for a hip operation so it shouldn’t matter to the surgeon or staff who’s paying.

I had terrible trouble with the Consultant’s secretary and in the end someone I knew at the hospital complained to her manager.
I got a random message a couple of days before my op telling me to come for my admission at 2.30pm yet the letter said 7.30am.
Many phone calls later my contact said she couldn’t find anyone with that phone number. It hadn’t come from the hospital. I decided to turn up at 7.30am anyway.
It’s a good job I did as I went to theatre just after 2pm. If I’d turned up at 2.30pm I wouldn’t have got the op.
I know it was his secretary and it’s a dreadful thing to deliberately do.

So unfortunately there are nasty people in healthcare and the sooner they leave it the better. Rest assured that even though they’ll try and fob you off the staff involved won’t get away with it lightly.
Apart from the surgeon. If he brings a lot of money into the hospital they won’t deal with him properly. Only if they’re looking for an excuse to take away his privileges will he be dealt with.

I hope you’ve got your painkillers now and you’re feeling more comfortable. It’s not easy but try not to let them affect your recovery as they’re not worth your thoughts. You’ve got three years to deal with this so if you’re not up to it yet it doesn’t matter. Just make sure you write down dates, times, names etc.

Yes I am feeling much better now. I am booked in to see my NHS doctor and a Physio to just look at the mobility problems I have with my new hip and leg.

I have no concerns over what I can and cant do regarding movement. I understand fully recovery from a damaged hip and surgery is a very gradual process first recovering from the trauma of surgery then very gently building movement and strength in my limb. this may take some time but I understand and accept it fully.
what I dont accept is a hospital with trained staff dont. it was utter stupidity to expect a patient to recover being locked in bed and no painkillers to be taken off the bed and being expected to be able to weight bear instantly. being forced to place both feet flat on the floor impossible due to swelling. then lift my leg up and forward. then to use his hands and manipulate my limbs while he is pointing his finger at his head telling me its all in my mind.

No I have made a formal complaint that I will post on here. I will wait for a reasonable response and unreserved apology and if I do not get one I will use every ounce of the pain asserted on me that morning to highlight the matter.
Yes you are correct. the surgeon may well be good at his work and for that reason they will do nothing to change his methods. money talks. he is the key to that for them. I will change his methods though and in turn that will change those under him. I am still utterly perplexed on his decision the hospital were content to release me without xraying my new hip which in essence covers their own backs should something happen. thats the power he holds over them.
I do hope those that read this are not too put off. i am sure it is very much a one off fueled by how I came to be in the hospital and how it was funded.

Many thanks
Steveeasy

Hello,
I have been to see my Doctor and a Physio Therapist. I discussed The session I had at the private hospital on Saturday and They dismissed my restricted movement was in my head. Apparently ( I forget the name now) I have a muscle between the pelvis and Thigh that is not working. So I am unable to raise my thigh at all. Sitting down I simply can move my leg at all.
Im sure it will right itself in due course. At least I can sit down now, something I have not been able to do for a long time.
Steveeasy

Thats lucky. I came out with Fragmin at 1 dose a day and Asprin at 1 dose a day. Was unsure so called and its fragmin 1 dose for 10 days then followed by Asprin 1 tablet each day.

There is quite a difference. not sure what the risk of taking both at the same time as the prescription states is.

Steveeasy

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you

17 Days post surgery and everything is going well. I can walk indoors with 1 stick fine. a bit outdoors but not for too long. just a little numb around the new hip area. Cant rush it as I know ill go backwards. still sleeping in a reclining chair, with both hips done its just easier to sleep in chair.

Thought id just read up on the Post surgery recovery guidelines and the above sentence popped up, just reminded me of the dreadful aftercare I received and lack of any medical advice. how it can ruin good surgical work.

Best wishes
steveeasy

Today progress seams a little different. Last week I was walking outside xmas trips and small walks. this week has been very much the opposite. Im so worried ill strain the muscle's I am doing nothing. Arround the hip wound area ive been getting a numbing sensation. feels like ive something attached to my thigh. the area is a little swollen per numb. As I write this I wondering why I am, All the symptoms tell me it might be infected. I dont think it is no heat. Ive been quite down. sleeping in a reclining chair I did not get up till 11am. That is just not me. ive been up at 6-7am every day during my last 2 THR.

Off to see the Dr.

Steveeasy

I am sorry you're worried. Please let us know how your appointment goes. I hope you receive reassurance from your physician and it puts your mind at ease. Will look forward to your next update.
Take good care.
@steveeasy

Wow! What an unbelievable experience you've had. Made my heart hurt. Please keep us posted on your Dr appointment

Things change daily. Went off and did a first Aider course. little bit of different exercise and I feel better. think it was scar tissue and lack of movement. Its a hard thing this balancing act for exercise in more ways than one.

Steveeasy

Last edited:
Hi @steveeasy
Its a hard thing this balancing act for exercise in more ways than one.
Yes... this is the tricky part for sure.
My guess is that what seems like scar tissue and lack of movement is that annoyingly predictable state of stiffness that we deal with for months after this procedure...
There is a lot of healing of soft tissue still happening and incrementally increasing movement and activity while remembering to keep icing and resting when needed can be a balancing act for sure.
Then add the "what ifs" and cabin fever and post-op blues...:oyvey: I remember that time well.

You will get there... keep the faith!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom