THR Groin issue after anterior THR

@Denpucc1 You have helped more than you may realize.I really do think you are in good hands with new doc. In fact, I live in walking distance of Albany MEd and St Pete's. I know half the town (Im being silly here) because I sing in three local music groups and worked in quite a few of the rehab facilities here! The issue I've had is that it has been hard to go to a more "senior doc" who has a well established reputation. And to @myglasshalffull -yes pain since 2/22 surgery but again, not severe pain.Leg length discrepancy is there but is a "functional" leg discrepancy not a "structural one". With that said,I continue to injure myself (once achilles tendonitis to the point that I could not stand, then same with other achilles, then on and off and now constant gluteal medial stuff-possibly.)Issue is getting dx from a more senior surgeon. My HSS referral fell through as I would not pay the full amount up front if surgery were required. Again, there are others there that WiLL work with Medicare even though none par at the White plains site. I will work this out though.
You are all such a kind group and that really really helps. And again, @Denpucc1 best of luck on tuesday.

Hi, Everyone!

I wanted to update you on my surgery. I was told I could have anesthesia I wanted and opted for a spinal block that would last an hour. I was put out with a lot of Valium while the spinal was being put in place so I don’t remember getting into the OR which has never happened to me before. If my surgeon came to see my I have no memory of it. I woke up in the Recovery area in so much pain. My husband told me the surgeon cut away the portion of the tendon which was damaged (photos showed the tendon was stuck to the cup). I asked for pain meds but was refused. It was really inhumane. They told me they gave me Valium, Motrin and Tylenol but I was still in a lot of pain. No budging them. They also told me I needed to pee before I could be discharged. I couldn’t pee and they were upset with me because I was given 2 liters of IVs. I asked for something to drink but it was small. They gave me crackers but I couldn’t eat cuz of the pain. Less than an hour later I was discharged with pain under control and without peeing! The worst post op I’ve ever had! My doc gave my hubby a prescription for 15-5 mg of Oxycodone. I took 2 and felt so much better! Took another at bedtime and that was it! Sorry for complaining but the answer to the opioid problem is giving pains in the hospitals and surgical centers? The great news is I don’t have the horrible pain anymore! I’m on crutches with partial weight bearing. I saw the doc today and he said I could put as much weight as tolerated! What a relief. I’m starting PT next week and I can work to getting off the crutches and onto a cane starting Monday. I’m not going to push myself and will listen to my body and not try and push thru the pain. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your helpful advice❤️

Hi @Denpucc1
Glad to see your home with some pain relief...really can't understand why they let you hurt at the hospital like that.:nah:

So happy for you that you are already seeing the benefit of the procedure however.
I’m not going to push myself and will listen to my body and not try and push thru the pain.
Excellent plan.
Hugs for healing XXX

I was wondering how you made out. The good news is that the problem had been discovered and that you will be on the mend! As I indicated previously I also live in Albany. Indeed one is not to be discharged from any setting without urinating after receiving 2 liters. I had gone into CHF after this. But it was quickly reversed after I told the RN where to find the size foley she needed. But sounds like you made it! And indeed no reason not to give a little Oxy while in the setting. But ditto the same happened to me.Spouse had to show up at CVS to retrieve it. Nonetheless I am really glad that the actual surgery seemed to go well! My issues persist but again my pain level is not severe so I hesitate to go local still. I do have an incredibly excellent local DPT with specialization.

Thank you so much Mojo333! I realized putting full weight on my right leg was not the best idea. I was in so much pain by nighttime. I am holding back on putting full weight on my leg for a while. I have other complications prior to the surgery and they r hurting!

Spaniel

i hope the pain goes away soon! I don’t feel the pain in my groin anymore so I believe my issue has been resolved. I hope ur issue can be resolved soon!

Great to hear you have gone through the surgery and things are now under control. Don’t over do it my friend. Your body needs time to heal. It always feels like recovery is super slow, but slow and steady always wins the race. You don’t want to risk hurting yourself or damaging something they fixed. You’ve got this!

Your post op care sounds atrocious! Hopefully you will write a detailed letter to whomever manages this facility? They need to know about these things. I was so sad to read this.
Recoveries can be tough but hopefully you are feeling better with each passing day.

Check in when you can. We are rooting for you.

@Denpucc1 How are you feeling? Wondering how your recovery is going, now that you are home and have some control over things.
I hope you are feeling better. :ice:

My recovery has been wonderful. Started physical therapy and am using a cane. I walk a lot without the cane indoors. PT explained my procedure telling me the tendon was a hip flexor and since it was cut and migrated away from the hip then I’m missing that hip flexor. I need to work on my core, hamstrings and glut muscles. Doing my exercises and was told can’t hurt my hip. I do get tired easily and I don’t know why. I also get pain in my IT band but I can deal with it.

Thank you❤️

I do get tired easily and I don’t know why
It is referred to as energy drain....you're not alone in experiencing this.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless, so while we're healing after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

I also get pain in my IT band but I can deal with it.
Following is an article on IT Band issues and treatments which includes some stretches that you may be interested in.

Thanks for stopping by with an update. It was nice to hear from you!

Ty so much for the info. I think I don’t have a lot of energy cuz I was basically a slug for almost a year! I’m in great health and am really surprised at how fatigued I get. When I broke my hip within a month I was doing great and I don’t remember being fatigued. Possibly because I was in such good shape before I broke it? Anyway I’m still really pleased with the surgery.

I am very happy that your recovery has been smooth so far. Great! You had general anesthesia right? That can do a number for weeks on energy too. And also Vitamin D harder to get for us upstaters! But all in all great news.

The fatigue factor can be cumulative so having two operations and exposure to anesthetic twice in about a year can have more of an impact. You've also been dealing with a frustrating and painful issue for awhile. Now that it's over, your body is finally able to rest. It's kind of like the exhaustion that follows a stressful incident except the "incident" lasted a long time in this case.

I had a spinal. No general anesthesia. I’ve never felt this fatigued after a surgery. I’m going to PT and doing my exercises but can’t get myself to do chores or run errands. I can only drive for a few miles. I used to be independent and I’m hating this recovery!

I think that's quite normal, many days I have super energy and no pain, now last few days I have to take a time out and sit with ice pack, mine is more my back (sciatica) than hip but it's on right side where I had my surgery. I'm hoping to go get a massage next week see if that helps. I get frustrated when I have plans in my head then my body has another opinion.

I’ve never felt this fatigued after a surgery
Energy Drain....you're not alone in experiencing the fatigue.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

I sense your frustration, I'm sorry and hope your strength and stamina improve soon. It has to be difficult to feel more fatigued than you have with previous surgeries. What I've learned here is that no two surgeries / recoveries are alike, even with the same person. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Glad to hear you are doing better. I can relate to the energy issue as well. It took me a long time to be able to be back to where I was(I would say about 6-7 months) before I started to feel more like a human again. You have to remember that there is a lot of things going on in your system with healing, as well as adjustments that need to take place.

Hey, I’m back! I’ve been going to PT since the beginning of November. 2 days a week and do exercises at home. I still feel serious pain in my IT band and I can’t do some exercises due to the lack of ROM in my right knee from scar tissue that keeps coming back. I can only explain that my right leg feels heavy when I lift it. I really want to go back to my activities before I had a TRHR in October of 2021. What should I do? Has anyone had my issues after having the tendon removed from the cup? I don’t have the agonizing pain that came with the tendon but I’m no where near being recovered. Ty so much.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks