Bilateral THR Jad26 in recovery

@Jad26 and @Mojo333

Do yourselves a favor and open a new window on whatever device you are using, and get on Google. Then type in "smokers' lungs vs nonsmokers' lungs" and hit 'images'.
What you see there is true. I worked many years in surgical pathology and have seen seen those results in person, up close. I've seen them handled, dissected, and processed for microscopic exam. I've seen what the cells of smokers' lungs look like microscopically.
Every single one of the pathologists I've worked with has said that smoking has negative effects to *all* systems in our bodies. You can do the same search for circulatory or other systems. Have a look at images showing what smoking/vaping do to gums and teeth.
You don't want to do that to yourselves.

Do whatever you can to quit.

I don’t need to tell you about the dangers of smoking.... lung cancer, emphysema, COPD, and chronic bronchitis
And a heart attack. My 58 yr old husband just suffered a heart attack four weeks ago tomorrow and they say the number one reason was due to smoking. Obviously he quit, I don't believe he'll ever start again, But adjusting to a new normal in many ways, smoking cessation, diet, meds, lifestyle changes have all been difficult and depression inducing.
Please don't give into that temptation it can destroy or even end your life. I am sorry you're stressed and also sorry you're going through a break up which understandably can be difficult. Please find another way to calm yourself while feeling stressed, like walking as only one example of many. You're young with a lot of life ahead of you and brighter days in your future, don't cut it short. We're here if you need us and we care...know that.
I hope your weekend is a peaceful one. :console2:
@Jad26

Thank you all for your reply always appreciated. I was never a heavy cigarette smoker i used the tobacco to mix with other herbs and i did smoke cannabis as it helped with pain and sleep i wont lie. I know how bad smoking is i always wanted to give up and i knew i had to stop before surgery so i can have the best chance at healing. I will continue with my cbd vape as i have done so well to stop something i could never see myself doing in the past. now im 12 weeks for some reason i am thinking its safe to smoke again when smoking is never safe. I think i am just a bit stressed its been a tough few months and now dealing with this but the thought of messing up my new hips scares me even more

I don’t need to tell you about the dangers of smoking.... lung cancer, emphysema, COPD, and chronic bronchitis
And a heart attack. My 58 yr old husband just suffered a heart attack four weeks ago tomorrow and they say the number one reason was due to smoking. Obviously he quit, I don't believe he'll ever start again, But adjusting to a new normal in many ways, smoking cessation, diet, meds, lifestyle changes have all been difficult and depression inducing.
Please don't give into that temptation it can destroy or even end your life. I am sorry you're stressed and also sorry you're going through a break up which understandably can be difficult. Please find another way to calm yourself while feeling stressed, like walking as only one example of many. You're young with a lot of life ahead of you and brighter days in your future, don't cut it short. We're here if you need us and we care...know that.
I hope your weekend is a peaceful one. :console2:
@Jad26
Hope your husbad makes a full recovery all the best

Oh, I so agree with Jaycey.
I am a smoker who has struggled off and on with quitting and can tell you that when you have smoked nicotine cigarettes, the other lesser evils like herbals, are really just a poor substitute for trying to curb the addiction and smoking anything is not good for your lungs.... Carbon Dioxide and Tar!

Smoking can be a reason for post-surgical complications, like infection, poor wound healing and poor surgical outcomes for knee and hip replacements. This is due to smoking’s effects on oxygen circulation through the blood to operated tissues,

But All Respect to you for quitting and I am not going to say that you would be at high risk for any implant problems (thank goodness I haven't:fingersx:) but you are successfully recovering from BTHR which is wonderful and I hope this emotional turmoil won't cause you to go back to smoking.

just natural herbs like mullein
Interesting that this herb is touted as good for respiratory issues but for the reasons I mentioned above.... Smoking it wouldn't be the best delivery system not to mention many herbs arent regulated for purity and safety.

You can be my inspiration. Stay Quit.
I'm going to try it again. Wish me luck.
Good luck! You can do it! How many years have you been smoking with your new hips?

now im 12 weeks for some reason i am thinking its safe to smoke again when smoking is never safe.
Absolutely true! It's so bad for the entire body - not just the new hips. But then stress isn't real great for us either. Do you have friends or work colleagues you can talk to? I find a brisk walk getting back with nature works wonders.

Good luck! You can do it! How many years have you been smoking with your new hips?
Really want to lie to you...
truthfully I started back after a year, and have been off and on since.
If I found out in 6 months I have a loose prosthetic, then won't I wonder.:nah:
Try hard not to let someone else (me, or your ex) be the reason you fail as you are doing so well.

Hi @Jad26
Hope you are hanging in there..
Things are going to get really Sweet for you when you get through this double hippy recovery.
You're been doing So Well.:ok:
Being patient really is the hardest part!

I remember someone sent me this quote:

“Patience is not passive; on the contrary, it is active; it is concentrated strength.”

I believe it's from a British poet/politician but often requoted by martial artist great, Bruce Lee.

Hope your day is Happy!

Hi. I quit smoking the day before hip replacement Oct 2018 and started again the day I restarted horrible job, March 2019. But, stopped again Jan 7 2021....cold turkey. Best thing I did for health (I am told) and definitely for pocket as cigarettes are now £11+ a pack. But, if it helps with recovery from hip replacements, then it is a no brainer. I smoked from 14 years old until 64 ....I still miss them but some effort had to be made. Now I just gaze longingly at people enjoying their smokes. Have you noticed you hardly ever see cigar or pipe smokers now. Anywho, good luck with your recovery and giving up the ciggies...

Last edited:
Thank you all for your messages. Im doing OK I have not gone back to smoking but the temptation is still there its annoying when basically all your freinds smoke does not make things easier lol. I will keep on going i know i will never go back to how i use to smoke as my routine has completely changed. I just wanted to know if smoking really does damage the implants as most info is about infections and healing early stages to do with nicotine. I know how bad it is for general health ive done so well to get this far i don't want to ruin it all by smoking!
Hope everyone is having a good week so far. All the best

Yeah, I don't know if anyone can dispute that there are actually smokers who have done very well long term with joint replacement, but with a healthy body and new hips, you we going to be Amazing!

Glad you are still holding on, even with the temptation from being around smokers.

:wave:Happy Three Month Anniversary, Jad.
I hope you have a nice weekend!

Yeah, I don't know if anyone can dispute that there are actually smokers who have done very well long term with joint replacement, but with a healthy body and new hips, you we going to be Amazing!

Glad you are still holding on, even with the temptation from being around smokers.
Yeah i would like to know if there is any smokers who have had hip replacements and how it is going. Im doing my best but i can't say i.will never have the odd smoke again as im only 32 and being around smokers its not easy scared it might affect my implant but so far im doing good. I hope so 3 months in now and still going well with the hips

:wave:Happy Three Month Anniversary, Jad.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
Thank you so much. Time flies. I have my first follow up appointment on the 12 December over 3 months after surgery lol so i finall get to ask some questions and get the all clear on swimming even tho i think its safe now its just better to hear from the surgeon so one more week without it wont help. As for excercise just walking about between 4000 and 7000 steps a day. I do a few strengthening excercises twice a week but since the world cup has been on ive been a bit lazy still plenty of walking everyday though. I think the week of 12th December i will really start to excercise especially being able to swim so one more week of taking it easy lol. Can get my socks on now knees make it a bit more harder than it would be but still able to do it which is great

You're doing great! Get the list of questions ready for your OS and don't let him out of the room until you're satisfied that's he's answered everything you want to know. You've waited a long time for this appointment. :wink:

If you think you can quit smoking...quit now. Don't take a chance and wait until it affects your health in any way.
You're better off to turn your back on it now and eliminate the chance of the smoking causing cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis. YUK...SCARY! Try really hard to stop.

I hope you have a nice weekend. I enjoy following your progress, you brave bilateral! :)
@Jad26

Had my first follow up appointment today after 3 months. He said everything looks good and was happy to see me walking up right without a limp i couldn't thank him enough for the great job he done. He basically said just live your life and do what u want apart from running until after 6 months if u feel u are able to which is unlikely with my knee problems. He said go swimming have baths sauana whatever lol 0 restrictions. He showed me my x ray first time I've seen it he used uncemented cup and stems said should get at least 25 years but it is 50/50 as im young. We will see. But all good after 3 months now i can begin to work on whole body strengthening and swim this is where the work can begin. I need to get motivated as i have felt tired and been really lazy the last few weeks. This cold weather does not help feel like my knees have got worse since the drop in temperature. Now i can have epsom salt baths and sauna they should help a bit

:tada:So glad to see you are doing so well @Jad26
Lots of improvement yet to come.
Well Done!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member