TKR Second TKR!

robtccharles

Country
United States United States
So, I am having my second TKR (left on 12.9) two years after the first. I am leerier than I was for the first, not sure why! Maybe because I know it is a long recovery process and I didn't know what to expect from the first! The fact is, when you replace a natural joint with a prosthetic it is never going to be 100%. I would say I am 85% on my new knee and that is probably what I should expect going forward with the left replacement. any recommendations on how to best prepare for my next surgery? I have been working out almost daily, doing lower-body weights and some light upper-body weights. I also walk outdoors for 1 to 2 miles a day.

BTW - What is all the hype over the Jiffy knee replacement? It is my understanding that rather than cut the muscles/tendons, they slide them aside, thus making it a less invasive surgery. One surgeon I talked to said it was just hype and not necessarily any better. any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome back! Thanks for joining us again.
No two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. I'm sure you've read that here before. In light of that, possibly the recovery after your Left TKR will be easier than your first. :fingersx:

You are right, the prosthetic will never match your natural joint, but it gets pretty darned close, per my OS's PA.
It's great regaining the mobility and losing the pain. It sounds like you're preparing yourself well for your upcoming surgery.

I don't know much about the Jiffy knee replacement other than the term "jiffy knee" is a bit of marketing for a particular procedure. Following you'll find a link to a thread where it was discussed last year.

I will leave you with a refresher on some pre-op reading with best wishes for your comfort as you await your December 9th surgery date. I hope you'll share your journey with us.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

KNEE PRE-OP ARTICLES
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries
@robtccharles

Thank you for the prompt response. I really appreciate this resource and the information I have learned from it. I will report back after my surgery and give periodic updates on my progress. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

You are welcome! We're happy to help and grateful for your appreciation of the information offered here.
We look forward to following your progress. Take good care!
@robtccharles

@robtccharles
Hi and welcome. I'm looking at a second knee replacement on Jan 11 and feeling a bit leery about it, too. I think you're right about knowing it's a long recovery and what to expect vs not knowing with first knee. I was a bone smart member with first knee and every day was an adventure. I found this forum priceless in the info and comraderie it provided.
Several friends who have had a second replacement have all said the recovery was easier because they knew what to expect.
I hope they're right.
Good luck and I'll be following your recovery!

I am getting my left TKR on Tuesday. I had my right TKR done 3 years ago and it wasn’t a great experience. I am nervous as the first one was a horrible experience. This time I am going into it less positively and hopefully I will be surprised and it will be a better than the first.

Hi there @robtccharles
Stopping by to offer best wishes for tomorrow.
I hope your recovery nest is prepped and you're ready to roll.
We'll be watching for your first update once your resting comfortably back home and feeling up to it.
I hope you get some sleep tonight. :sleep:

You will find robtccharles's recovery thread HERE

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom