TKR Recovery Journey Continues

Hello RaeRae1,
I am sorry you're struggling with some pain and swelling after the garage door incident. Consider icing and elevating through the remainder of the weekend, unless the pain worsens, then contact your surgeon's office on Monday if its still bothering you and let them advise.

I hope it eases and you feel better soon. Stay in touch and let us know what you hear.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@RaeRae1

Looks like I’ll never get the posting location right. Thank you for your reply. I will take it easy and call on Monday if it’s still “crackly” and tender.

You are less than 4 months out from your surgery. Having different aches and pains is, unfortunately, completely normal. I think icing and elevating should calm it down some. I was still having to do that for up to six months.

So, regarding my knee crackling, I did go to my orthopedic surgeon’s walk in clinic (like an urgent care) and saw a doctor. They took X-rays and they looked just fine. He said if the pain and crackling doesn’t resolve in three weeks then call the surgeon for him to take a look. So it’s been 10 days since I “popped “ my knee and then further aggravated it by letting it come down too hard. Once I’m up walking around, it does feel better but it still is crackly and painful upon standing, sitting, stairs and random movements when walking. I’m m icing and elevating but should probably do it more. Just hope it will work itself out and calm down.
I know that people have much more severe problems in their healing process but I’m still fearful that this could be significant since it’s not feeling better yet. I move tremendously slowly to avoid the pain from this when rising or sitting. Is this crackling a common issue with TKR knees? I don’t remember it from my last TKR 11 years ago. I’m trying to muster up patience but since I had been doing so well prior to this, I’m concerned something might really be wrong.

I know that people have much more severe problems in their healing process but I’m still fearful
This is understandable and we're happy you're not afraid to express your concerns here and seek the opinions of other's. Thankfully your x-rays looked good and hopefully that offered you some reassurance. Clicking and popping can occur and it is usually not a problem. This happens as the implant material is settling in with the surrounding soft tissue. Hopefully with some rest and icing it resolves. If not and you notice increasing pain or swelling you should consider touching base with your OS before the three weeks suggested during the walk in clinic visit. I wish you comfort and speedy resolution. Happy Four Month Anniversary, one day early. :)

Well it’s been three weeks since I saw a doctor at the clinic because of my knee crackling. He said call my surgeon if it didn’t resolve, which it didn’t unfortunately. I saw my surgeon’s PA today and she could feel the cracking and instability when she examined me. I’m going to get an MRI and if necessary, a bone scan. Regular X-rays look fine. She said maybe it’s loose where the spacer is. I think she said Polypropylene is what the spacer is made of. Possibly it’s loose, maybe a different size is needed. I’m very hopeful it will still settle down and nothing will be necessary as far as a spacer removal. Time will tell and I’ll update once the MRI is done.
I can keep things pretty smooth if I stand VERY slowly and keep things in alignment. Not terrible pain unless it really crackles after moving too fast or if I’m not super straight, like getting out of the car.
It’s disappointing to be slowed down so much when I was ready to tackle the world. Anyway, I prayed some and won’t obsess over it or worry about it. Thank you for this space to be able to express myself.
Ho ho ho! Christmas time is definitely here and that’s a good thing!

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, @RaeRae1, but you have a great attitude about it. Sending positive thoughts that the MRI shows things are fine and that you will heal without further surgeries.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year. :carols:

Thank you Benne68. I’m glad my medical people aren’t brushing me off. My surgeon, Dr. Lang in Hendersonville,NC is very highly respected for his skills and expertise. He is also a very experienced doctor with revisions and other challenges with knees. I feel that I’m in good hands.

I was lucky to get my MRI yesterday due to a cancellation. It was a 30 minute process with all the clanging and booming. I had to wear a mask and really had to focus on my breathing to be steady so I would not move at all. It sure seemed like a fancy MRI setup and I’m so grateful to have access to quality care here in the Asheville area of NC.
Lots of uncomfortable crackling in my knee still, mostly upon standing and some walking but pain is just occasional when walking. I hesitate to do exercises or lots walking until I know what is going on in there. I would love to know of anyone else’s experience with these symptoms and how it worked out. I’ll update when I get my results. Thank you Bonesmart for existing and being an outlet for my thoughts.

Happy New Year Bonesmarties! I received my MRI results from my painful crackling knee issue. It all looked normal, so that’s good. There was some fluid in my knee but the nurse practitioner said they didn’t want to risk infection by draining it. The plan is to start PT again (in 2 weeks because it’s all booked until then. Then in 4 weeks decide if there’s improvement before scheduling a bone scan. Painful crackling continues especially upon standing but also walking to a lesser degree. Last night I stood up but things weren’t aligned right, I guess. My knee completely gave out and I fell on my butt. Except for my knee hurting a lot, the fall was benign, no other pain. I was startled to say the least and now I’m using my cane because I’m afraid of falling. Doctor’s office is closed until tomorrow and I plan to call and request the bone scan earlier rather than waiting weeks. I’m 5 months out from my surgery. November 21 was when I “popped “ my knee upon stretching and then had it come down way too hard later the same day when pulling my garage door down.
Prior to my incident I was walking great, going up and down stairs without thinking about it, really ready to take my life back. I feel sort of whiny with all of this but it’s the not knowing what’s next and my world has shrunken because I really don’t want to leave my house due to fear of painful struggling while moving about. I’m forcing myself to go out to lunch with a friend today and I’m taking my cane. I’m up for anything that will improve this, even surgery but it’s the being in limbo that’s tough. Also my new fear of collapsing again. I know I sound so “woe is me” and I’m a scared ninny but this forum seems to be receptive to this rambling and I so appreciate this space. I think my husband needs a break from my knee. Actually he’s been wonderful, no complaints there.
God’s blessings to you all in this new year! ❤️

but this forum seems to be receptive to this rambling
Yes, ramble away if it makes you feel better. We are here to listen, support and encourage.
Last night I stood up but things weren’t aligned right, I guess. My knee completely gave out and I fell on my butt.
Oooh, I am so sorry. This must have been frightening, thankfully you weren't seriously hurt!

It may be a blessing PT is booked for two weeks because there is the possibility that engaging in PT has a negative effect, rather than a positive one.

Hopefully you're able to enjoy lunch with your friend today. Bringing the cane is a good idea, stay safe and keep in touch.
Happy 2023! I hope its a good year for you! :wave:

There was some fluid in my knee but the nurse practitioner said they didn’t want to risk infection by draining it.
I agree, it's best not to drain it. It should go diminish as time goes on and you continue to ice and elevate.

You aren't even 1/2 through this year+ healing. You certainly did anger your knee and it's slow coming back to where you were. But, you were there once and will get there again. It's just taking time and that's hard to deal with. I think if you increased your resting, icing, and elevating you should slowly see more improvements.

Thank you sistersinhim and Layla. I so appreciate your encouraging words. I’m going to ice more often and yes I’m glad PT isn’t available yet. I don’t know what they would do given that they don’t know yet what’s wrong. I’ll post an update when there is one. I’m off to PF Changs! That will lift my spirits. Thanks again for replying. ❤️

I had my 3 part bone scan today. Of course the radiologist couldn’t analyze it for me but she did show me and said the white areas are called hot spots, meaning that’s where the tracer injection could flow. Anyway, my whole knee replacement area was lit up! I mean all white. I’d like to think it’s my new (5 months) knee replacement. In reality, it should probably match my other knee replacement in its hotness/whiteness, which it didn’t have.
I don’t really understand it at all and will just have to wait for my results. My symptoms of crackling, pain and minor but consistent swelling continue. Also it’s given out a couple of times and I have to stand up sooo slowly to get everything aligned or my leg can’t take any weight. Once I get moving I can walk but it’s slow and I’m cautious of every bump in the terrain. It crackle/crunches on almost every step.
Any words of wisdom or advice regarding bone scans? Sorry…long post.

Should I change my title to Recovery Journey Continues? I know, very creative.

I can't shed any light on your scan, @RaeRae1, but want to let you know I'm thinking about you and sending up a prayer for good news.

It's probably best to wait until your doctor shares the analysis. (Try to avoid Dr. Google in the meantime -- he only make us worry more!)

Sending hugs :console2:

Thank you Benne. I know, I know…what’s the point of filling my head with scary scenarios. Thank you for the prayers. Even if the outcome isn’t ideal, I know I’ll endure it and prevail.

I got my bone scan results yesterday and they were pretty much inconclusive as far as what is causing all the crunchy and crackling. Along with X-rays and MRI. He said although my knee was lit up on the scan, it can be a false positive with a newer TKR. He felt all my knee crackles etc… and said it could be Patellar Clunk but sort of doubts it because the newer components they use now drastically reduces the occurrence of that. He mentioned scar tissue and that it seemed as though something was interfering with a smooth extension. He called it a head scratcher and said “I just don’t know.” He wants to and did send my test results to other doctors and set me up with another associate for his take on it.
He is completely committed to figuring this out and not at all worried about his ego but rather wants a consensus from other docs or at least opinions.
He talked about going through arthroscopically (sp?) but said he really wants to be able to see exactly what is going on which would probably mean going all in.
I trust him and am grateful he’s committed to my situation. Next appointment is Jan 31 with a fellow surgeon. He said no PT and simply take a break and just do necessary ADLs. I’m confident we’ll get to the bottom of it.
Thanks for reading my saga.

I’m 2 1/2 wks out from my TKR. I think it’s going well but I still get shaky and weak often. I don’t exert myself beyond my exercises, ice and elevate hours per day, try to eat but appetite is minimal.
I overdid it about 4 days ago loading stuff into the car, etc… It hurts on the right side of my knee, a painful twinge whenever I put weight on it.
In summary, I feel like I should be getting stronger with more energy and it’s definitely stalled out. I’m hoping someone can tell me that it’s not a race, blah blah blah…and that I’m still early in my recovery and not to over analyze it. My ROM is pretty good, extension isn’t quite there but close. Just wanted to throw this out there.
Welcome to the ODIC(overdoitclub) Many of us in here:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88