THR Shadowstar just on the other side.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Yes, many have complained of this and used a sheepskin underneath their heels.
If interested, use the SEARCH at the top right of the page typing in Sheepskin and the threads where it's been mentioned will pop up. You'll be one week post op already tomorrow. I remember that was the first milestone I wanted to reach, silly I know, but I just wanted a week behind me. Best wishes for your comfort and an easy peasy recovery! :)

I didn't have the heel problem but I did have a rolled up towel that I would use under my ankles. It was recommended by my OS to do this when I was lying or reclining to keep the back of my legs stretched out.

I had a small Sheepskin Swath my NZ step sister gave me that I laid under my heels, but I have a friend who used a sherpa type lined robe.

Good morning everyone from a dark,wet early morning in the UK .
I am close to tears having had the worst night since my THR 9 days ago.
It's my middle/ lower back which is so painful. I have been sleeping on my recliner and it's been great. Yesterday I started aching a bit and did everything I should...rest, walk, ice, meds ..
The back pain/ ache started again as I was trying to sleep, so I went upstairs and eventually got into a bed with pillows under my knees and eventually dozed but awake now and downstairs with my ice pack.
I know if I could sleep on my side it would help, but what else can I do?

@Mojo333 , thank you. There is such conflicting advice on the net ... some advocate heat, some cold..
The one positive thing that is happening today is my husband is taking me to my hairdresser and she is going to wash my hair...

I agree with Mojo333. Try alternating the heating pad and then ice pack a bit later. If you have heated seats in your car, keep it on while you’re riding. It helps.

You don't want to really put heat on/near your wound...ice will be best for that leg and is the best for swelling but for your lower back. ache heat will be fine.
I've also heard that having better hair is great for healing.:) :-) (:

It gets better, friend. All Temporary!

Good morning everyone, I hope all fellow hipsters are doing well..Day 16 post op....
I've just had my first shower and hair wash and it felt wonderful...
Feeling a bit smug when suddenly my leg seemed to scream at me to sit down and ice!!! I've just taken my meds as well so hopefully will feel better in an hour.
Having a shower independently has been more demanding than I expected....

First solo showers can be scary, or was for me, but Yes! Exhilarating, Exhausting, and wonderful.
Glad you are now assuming the position:ice:
All Temporary... and hoping today is a Good Day!

Hi @Shadowstar1951! Yep first shower was indeed a bit scary, where to put feet safely, 55 point turn, don't drop anything, washing without holding on crutches, sticks, walkers, grab rail....2nd shower less panic and so on. You still have to be careful/thoughtful but it is a great independent feeling I found. Wishing you a safe and gentle recovery from a fellow UK.

Hi Shadowstar1951!, for some reason I've only now found your thread! I'm so sorry that you're struggling with neck and back on top of everything else. I've had demoralizing neck and back pain this week (5) and find that ice makes things worse, dry heat does nothing, but Moist heat does help. Wish I had a magic wand to wave and get us past this phase of recovery! Thinking of you

Having a shower independently has been more demanding than I expected.
I haven't forgotten how good that first shower felt. While in the shower I did feel a tad weak and then there is the concern of falling, but the fresh scent of body wash and shampoo kept me focused and I stuck it out. It was probably one of the quickest showers I've ever taken though. I also felt rather drained afterward quickly retreating to my recliner and ice pack. Since you posted several hours ago, I hope the meds kicked in, you had a nap and the day is looking bright. Happy Thursday, Shadowstar!

Ah thank you everyone... your support means everything to me.
I've had a very chilled day and am now 'supervising' my dear OH on how to make a pork and sage casserole...
I'm pescatarian so I won't be eating it but OH likes it and it's a very dreary, cold and windy day. Comfort food is needed.
My leg is improving and I'm due my meds very soon.
I'm thinking of sleeping in the recliner tonight and see if I get the awful back pain I've been getting in bed.
Touch wood Merrimay, I don't have any neck pain.
When I look back to a week ago I have come on in leaps and bounds but I totally understand that it is very early days and I must treat my new hip with the respect it deserves.
Keep safe lovely hipsters....

Good morning everyone, I hope all fellow hipsters are doing well..Day 16 post op....
I've just had my first shower and hair wash and it felt wonderful...
Feeling a bit smug when suddenly my leg seemed to scream at me to sit down and ice!!! I've just taken my meds as well so hopefully will feel better in an hour.
Having a shower independently has been more demanding than I expected....
I had my first shower on Day 5. Even though I was sitting on a shower stool I nearly passed out & had to call my daughter. Thankfully managed to cover myself with a towel before she came in.
I only used the stool for a week or so though. That first shower is so lovely.

Happy Sunday everyone. I'm trying very hard not to panic and worry but I'm 19 days post op and for the last couple of days I have been getting groin pain. Not the awful bone on bone pain I had, but this is right under my bottom and then at the front very close to the pubic area.
I'm doing everything I should.... resting, walking, icing/heat and regular meds.
I have been busy... prepping veg, laundry etc and the 'simple' act of washing, dressing etc .
I am now sat down with ice and a bit anxious. Should I be concerned?
T I A.

No ma'am...not to worry.
Groin soreness was also on my After THR discomfort list.:sorry: and many other new hippies complain about it too.

I didn't know if it was caused by traumatized legs needing whatever that groin tendon is to help get legs up and going ....
Very unscientific musing:) :-) (: but definitely not uncommon.
We go through a series of travelling pains on this recovery journey, and fellow hippies definitely kept me from panicking
The first month, my recovery thread was awash with "Is this Normal?" queries.

I still get some groin pain now and then.
What I've discovered is each day is a new adventure! I have a loose plan of what I expect to accomplish and then see how much I can actually get done.
This past week been particularly busy, we have company here, did a bunch of cooking for the holiday so lots of standing and prep work, then Friday started to put "fall" decor away and switch over to "winter/Christmas theme" which meant many trips up and down stairs carrying bins, etc.
So sat on heating pad last night for awhile and iced during day for about an hour. Then I'm fine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks