THR Onward, forward for NextStep

@Layla and @Boofit , I appreciate the time you took to respond. I talked with a friend over lunch today, and she reminded me that not everyone starts at the same place physically. Some of us had dealt with issues prior to THR, or are still facing health challenges that some of those with "expectations" know nothing about. Similar themes to what I'm hearing here.
Sometimes it's helpful to acknowledge where we're struggling, get it into the light. Thanks again for sharing insight!

:hi:Good Morning
You're friend is so right! I'm happy to read that you've found some realistic comfort through sharing your feelings here and through your understanding friend. I hope you have a lovely Sunday and a great week!
@NextStep

It's been a long but good day. I'm worn out yet that's not surprising with a rough night last night as far as sleep goes. It seems a front moved through with some heavy rain, which affects sleep since surgery.
So...I have a question. Perhaps an odd one. Wondering if others have set goals or benchmarks for themselves, maybe week by week for what they want to work on? I think sometimes I've pushed too hard on doing what needs to be done, knowing I "could" in the moment. Yet as someone has so wisely said, just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
So-- not measuring by what quantity others have done, I just wonder if goals were set if they were daily living type tasks, or distance walked (daily or in a week), time walking, or some other measure. "What I need to get done" isn't working well; it's a sure ticket to the land of ODIC for me. (I have some ideas but it's good to listen to those who've walked the path already and lived to tell the tale.) :old:

I am not really setting time-bound goals at all, beyond “what’s one step ahead”. No point *planning* ten moves ahead. Just do what you can to get 1% better tomorrow. And so maybe that doesn’t work out and sometimes it’s the day after. As a wise fish once said: “Just keep swimming”

I do have some longer goals … “go for a proper hike, ride my bike on a road, ski again” but none of them have dates attached. When it’s time, I’ll know.

I didn't set any goals at all. I let everything happen in its own time. I didn't want to feel like a failure or "behind" ever, and there was also no point in proving myself to be Wonder Woman.
But...I recognized and celebrated all the small milestones. I can plug in the vacuum! Woo hoo! I weeded a flower bed! Yay me! I clipped my toenails!
And mowed the lawn, put up hay, walked a trail, rode my bike...all in their own times. So never any disappointments withfailure to perform, or membership in ODIC either.
Whatever works for you, my best wishes.

Wondering if others have set goals or benchmarks for themselves,
Insofar as goals go, mine is to be walking without aids by November this year when I go visit my daughter in Sydney who is expecting her first. I had my THR in June, so I gave myself a bit over 5 months to do this (I thought 5 months would be a realistic time frame). I am still walking with a cane outdoors (although this morning I did about 1000 steps without using any aid when I went to the fish market, the first time I have not used any aid walking outdoors since the surgery), but I think I am on track towards ditching the cane maybe sometime next month. :fingersx:

This goal is also a reminder for me to not rush things, to try make sure that I do not overdo things and to avoid set-backs.

If I don't achieve my goal, it will not be a big deal :ok: . In any event, I will be bringing my cane with me to Sydney!

Hi there folks. I was just thinking this weekend how someone reading this thread later might compare progress (and admit it, most of us find it easy to fall into that trap, right? )...and I might even forget why early on I moved from the cane as early as I did.

Context? I'd had radial head replacement and clean up of the elbow joint on my "cane arm" just over three months prior to THR. That was strong incentive to balance the needs of hip and elbow as both heal fully. (Sometimes I wonder if the elbow might be a more complex recovery in some ways?) That was cleared prior to THR, yet found overuse caused me to overcompensate in other ways.

Even now I have days when I return to cane or walker as needed, and days when the elbow says "Not today, dearie. Rest if you must but we're not gonna do a marathon with elbow and cane today!"

So all that to say, I'm just balancing the two as best I know how. It's not "all" a THR recovery though I just passed 6 months for elbow. Still taking my "next step" one moment at a time.

@NextStep I had to stop by and wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary. So, HAPPY THREE MONTH ANNIVERSARY! :yahoo:

Mine was yesterday for my left hip. I can understand the frustration you seem to feel at times. I did not set goals to accomplish at any particular time. I've had the complication of my constricted right knee, but I've tried to keep that in perspective and focus on the progress I've made in my two hip replacements. BTW, in my experience, recovery from knee replacement is more difficult than recovery from hip surgery. But that is just my experience. In no way does that mean that I think recovering from hip replacement is a cake walk. Having done one knee and two hips, I know that it isn't. I think that being patient with oneself and not having firm expectations will help with recovery. Since we all recover in different times frames, I think being kind to oneself and appreciating small progress helps to maintain a more positive attitude in ones recovery. It is still necessary for me to use a walker and a cane or walking stick because of the constriction in my right knee. I often use the walker in my house because I can move faster with it. I get more tired when I am out and about and using my walking stick. But I relish my progress in being able to walk with a walking stick when I'm away from home.

Chris, my PT, is still working with me for my knee. I see him every other week and Daniel the alternate weeks. Sometimes I think that I'm not improving as much as I would like, and Chris always points out the progress I have made, even from visit to visit. He documents everything, so he can look back and give a realistic assessment of what I have accomplished. It is very encouraging to know that I have made progress, even in small ways.

Having had my right hip replacement on March 23, I just observed my six month anniversary. I have made more progress in the recovery of my right hip even since I've had the left hip replacement. Ones recovery does continue for an extended period of time. Be kind to yourself and patient. You are doing very well. Focus on that. Onward and upward!

Hi @NextStep :wave:
I can only imagine that surgery on your elbow Would be complex, and then to heal from THR with walking aides...:unsure:

As you noted, different folks with unique struggles certainly makes our recoveries uniquely challenging.
I think you have done very well given your circumstances and I hope all continues to get easier and better.
Looks like the big old Hurricane is due to impact my neck of the woods, so folks are wiping out the stores and my work at the local food bank has me running around like a chicken... I remember so well the days before my surgery when I was in constant pain and sleep deprived. I remind myself all the time that at least Now I can function without that horrid hip pain.

Hope your Tuesday is Sweet!

Last edited:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
You're doing well, taking it day by day. I hope you have a lovely Autumn!
@NextStep

@Layla thanks! It's hard to believe. Feels like last week and like forever, sometimes all at once. Overall there's more good days than tough days, although I still find nights a little hard.. Far better than six months ago!

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hopefully with the passage of another month, the nights continue to get easier.
Enjoy the remainder of Fall and best wishes for a happy holiday season if we don't catch up with you before then. Take care!
@NextStep

Thanks, @Layla ! It's been a good month, with things settling into a more "normal" routine. I'm even getting 7 hours of sleep more days than not, though sometimes part of that comes through naps. Either way, I am thankful!
Most days both the elbow and hip play nicely. I admit I have some concern about how I'll do on the ice this winter, and how snow shoveling would work with these new metallic bits and pieces. I'm hearing it could be quite the winter, so I gave in. Invested in a snow blower in hopes of staying out of emergency department, and more importantly, away from surgery. Eventually the other hip will need attention, but let's wait a while. Doc said she has some miles left in her yet. :walking:
Have a blessed autumn, folks. Enjoy these milder days while they last!

It's been a while, but I have an odd question. I'd called my surgeon's office but have not heard back yet, so here goes.
My (new) hip has been having a dull ache over the past few days, maybe a week. Nothing major, just an almost constant, edge of consciousness thing, and yesterday I noticed it felt a bit warm near the scar line. Occasionally it has a sharp twinge of pain when I move or turn wrong, or bump it wrong. Last night I began to wonder, with no redness, I should not need to worry about infection, right? With record snowfall late last week, I got a workout so I'm hoping it's just exercise induced inflammation.

With record snowfall late last week, I got a workout so I'm hoping it's just exercise induced inflammation.
Was this the first workout you have done post THR? We always recommend easing into any new activities. Depending on your workout level, it is likely your hip is complaining about the increase in activity.

Ice the hip to get that internal swelling controlled.

Not the first workout, but first of its kind. First significant snowfall and it broke records. First time using a snowblower in nearly 20 years yet felt it would be better than all the lifting involved with shoveling the same load of snow, given both elbow and hip status this year.
Fitbit claims nearly five hours of "active zone minutes" over the course of four days. Much was snow related.

Doc's office agreed, likely related to new activities, requiring different things from the hip. Advice: ice, elevate, take it easier where possible for a few days, don't hesitate to go to emergency if signs of infection were to develop but that sounds unlikely.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom