TKR Back to needing fellow Bonesmarties input.

I would definitely have ended up just like you if I had tried a similar machine @Murphy2013, on ice. Just take it a little slower next time, better to ramp up slowly and be mindful of your knee the next day. It will tell you where the limit is.

I think most of us have been right where you are after doing something our knees were not ready for. This is a trial and error recovery, at least it was for me! I'd try something new at a snail's pace and then waited to see how my knee reacted that night or the next day. If it swelled more and/or hurt, then I knew my knee needed a few more weeks of healing before trying it again. If it didn't hurt or swelled at all, then I knew that activity was OK and I would continue at the same pace for another week or so before I tried to increase the 'new' activity. My knee was always my guide.

Don't forget that you had that MUA in September. That set your recovery back so actually, you are only 6 months into the healing of your knee. That's only halfway. You are doing really well for being only where you are in the timeline of your own recovery!

Thank you very much for your feedback. Reflecting back on what I did wrong, it was a classic case of not respecting my knee’s limits. The machine had worked well for me within limits of small time segments.Then I decided that I wanted to get to the end of a tv series on my iPad. Brilliant. So I way overdid the stretch and now it’s back to baby steps. I will remember this well I hope.

We all visit the Over Did It Club (ODIC) at one point or another @Murphy2013, the key is to not be a frequent visitor!

Thank you so much FC.
I just came up with a new mantra; Slow is the new fast.
I have been living a life propelled by faster and now my knee says that I will do better with slower. Just because I can go at a good clip one day does not mean the knee wants to go fast as the new normal. I bought some pickleball racquets to try a new outside pursuit at our local courts. Advice welcome from members.
I used advice from sistersinhim to restart my swimming at 5 months and it has worked brilliantly.

Slow is the new fast.
I love this! So appropriate for many of us in this recovery! It might become my new advice mantra!

We’ve had members get back to pickleball. Would you like to change your title to reflect that, and maybe get more responses that way? Also, you can do a search with the word pickleball and find the members who mention it. As always, try it slowly.

My new knee has never been perfect but it has been adequate to take care of household,walk the dog, shop for groceries, drive husband with ALZ to get his favorite fro yo, go swimming every other day, go to Church services. Not a bad life when I look at it in writing.
But instead of being grateful, I could only hear the pickle ball plonk from across the street and think I should have MORE. So I upped the swimming to unseemly lengths just to prove I could and kept going with walking same day until I have ended up laid up and sorely non mobile , icing and taking pain meds and feeling just as bad as I did after surgery, looking out my window at roofs as they grow dim at dusk. My poor little bug just looks at me and wonders why no walks.
It has helped me to come back to this forum and read other stories of fallback.
It helps to have other viewpoints. I say give it a week before calling doc.
I have had two os docs (independent networks) evaluate my knee and they have same comment, you have a very stable knee. They should have added that you have a very unbalanced head and tend to need to get hit over the head before you learn anything!

So I upped the swimming to unseemly lengths just to prove I could and kept going with walking same day until I have ended up laid up and sorely non mobile , icing and taking pain meds and feeling just as bad as I did after surgery,
I’m sorry you’ve had such a set back. To be honest, I don’t really think you should feel this bad 2 years out from TKR. You might consider yet another opinion.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Reactions: shr
They should have added that you have a very unbalanced head and tend to need to get hit over the head before you learn anything!
I'm sorry you are struggling right now, but please know you are NOT alone! I just came back from a two-week trip (during which I walked miles and miles each day on uneven cobblestone streets)... and now I'm surprised by how uncomfortable my 14-m-o knee is. Hmmm. Some of us never learn! :headbang:

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for all your kind thoughts.
I’m trying to really internalize this learning this time. I scheduled an appointment with the OS this upcoming Monday in case it doesn’t get any better with rest/ice.

Hi Murphy2013, I am just over 18 months post op from a right medial PKR. I can empathize with you i still overdo it regularly i am now sat with my right leg up in ice. Its is a case of managing the situation. I hope your knee begins to feel better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom