THR FInally did it- March of 2023...now another question for all of you

greeneyedjan

Country
United States United States
I have tentatively scheduled my surgery for 15 MArch 2023. I am going to get one last opinion, from a doctor I had seen previously- wasnt a big fan after the terrible cortizone shot he gave me, but he is a good surgeon and he did my friend's hip and my friend is very happy two years on.

I do have question that maybe one of you could answer. Before you had your hip done, did you experience pain in any other part of your body? The past few weeks, it seems that things have gotten exponentially worse, not so much for the right hip that needs to be replaced, but in the other left hip and ankle. MY back has always bothered me on and off and I know I have mild degenerative issues, but its seems like somehow in the past few weeks all parts of my both hips, not just the right, are hurting. This is devastating, in addition to the hip. As we talked about I feel so terrible a lot of the time I feel like I anticipating- that is, not wanting the pain to hit either hip, so Im tensing and not moving or doing much exercise. I was able to ski fine last season.

I realize that skiing is not a necessity, as are lots of other sports and daily workouts,but they are a HUGE part of my life, a guess what I am asking is that did any pf you feel that your hip/knee contributed to other parts of your body hurting, and if so, how did you deal with this. Again, this isnt just skiing, right now even a 5 mile walk or bikeride- something a year ago would have even been an afterthought, would now end in extreme pain in both hips, not just the one that needs replaced.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this?

Before you had your hip done, did you experience pain in any other part of your body?
Nearly every candidate for THR experiences pain in multiple areas. You are carrying yourself all wrong trying to stay off that sore hip. This impacts many areas.

My bad hip was diagnosed as spinal issues. I had spinal surgery years before the hip pain started. But everyone I spoke to just assumed it was more back problems.

For now I would limit the activity - just to keep the pain managed. Remember, this is only temporary. You will be having THR so that you can return to the activities you love. But trying to push yourself now will only result in pain. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way as by the time I got the diagnosis my hip had collapsed.

Can you get an earlier op date? It seems like waiting that long may be too frustrating for you.

Not only did I have back and leg issues prior to my BTHR but body wide inflammation that settled in all my joints almost resembling flu-like symptoms.
Activity worsened this... I kept moving but the taxing activities had to fall off.

Yes, that deteriorating hip can create all kinds of sympathetic pain symptoms elsewhere. I felt like it affected my feet and back the worst. Ok then the knees, too.
It’s a truly miserable existence when the hip gets to that point.

Wishing you comfort as you wait for March 2023!!

It takes a while post op for everything to get readjusted, but I had immediate hip pain relief....back and leg issues waned over the course of the first 8-10 months and now... all is Happy Lappy!

Towards the end of my three year wait for a left THR my right hip started becoming really painful and I thought I’d end up having both done.

My knees became really swollen but strangely weren’t painful.

Straight after the op the pain on both sides (groin, thigh & buttocks) went. I couldn’t even say there was post op pain as such. It’s more sore and weak than anything. The only pain I’ve had was after a too enthusiastic physio at 4 weeks post op. I won’t do that again.

I did find using a walking stick really helped my posture pre-op and seeing a chiropractor kept my legs the same length and eased the pain (sometimes). I also saw a physiotherapist close to the op who gave me strengthening exercises.

I think when you’re in pain and can’t maintain correct posture it affects all your body. I even got new shoes for post op as I’m walking differently.

I did have some niggling doubts about having the op as I wondered if I’d be better off with pain rather than the unknown. Unfortunately the pain got so bad it wasn’t an option to not have the op and I must admit despite a few hurdles on the way it’s been the best decision I made.

Yes, my entire leg, my inner thigh, and because you are compensating the other side hurt too. Couldn't get comfortable at night and I was to the point of tears.
You may reconsider having the hip surgery sooner than later so you don't have to have anything else done from overcompensating. Get PT to strengthen all your muscles, that will help with the pain too.

The hip recovery was so much easier than the knee for me. It was amazing how soon I felt better after my hip replacement. I was back at work at 7 weeks and walking a few miles within 3 months. I just had my knee done 13 days ago and yes, the knee has made my hip hurt that I got replaced and everything on the left side, along with the right side.

I am moving in the right direction with my recovery and looking forward to the day when I don't have to think about any of this!

Best wishes,
cc

I had pains in my thighs and even in my feet that my THR's took care of along with the deep aches of my bad hips. Unfortunately 2 THR's wasn't the fountain of youth, I still have plenty of aches and pains.

I concur with Brookner. My pain was not limited to my groin/hip as it had been for many years. After 8 years of being able to function it all went south pretty quickly. The compensatory movements that I engaged in produced a visible limp, significant loss of Range of Motion, and all sorts of body aches along with disturbed sleep! The THR posterior surgery has me back up and active. I’m seeing improvements consistently and have fully resumed a rigorous work out schedule of body pump, Pilates, stretch and roll out, dancing & hiking. I wish you could get in to have your surgery sooner. If not, keep working out to your best ability to keep your muscles strong and your aerobic capacity up. It takes effort in the post op phase to keep positive. Walking was the best the first 4 weeks along with religiously adhering to the PT exercises and light rides in the stationary bike. Then after this initial period keep pushing to get back to exercises that will help you regain strength, flexibility and the joy of moving the way that makes you happy. It is very possible. I started not doing any bending past 90 degrees, not crossing my ankles or knees but I am now doing all of that and more. Keep at it. This surgery when done well without issues works phenomenally well. It has been life restoring for me. Wishing you the best.

I had some knee pain, but not sharp pain, in the side of the hip surgery. It cleared up a while after hip surgery. Not immediately, but fairly gradually.

However the knee discomfort was never that big. I was just thinking that might be progressing. So glad that has gone away.

@greeneyedjan I noticed that you mentioned skiing. If you go to the blue toolbar above on the upper right of this page, you will see the SEARCH option, if you type in skiing you will find several good posts about it.

I hope you have had a good week with your hip.

All, thanks for the encouragement. My surgery is still sked for MArch. I am going back to see OS this week due to increasing pain on the bad hip side, as well as pain on the other side. Its a different sort of pain. Maybe the Bursa sac? Has anyone had issues with their bursa as well.

Im so sad, it seems like things have gone downhill really fast in the past few months. I dont want to get depressed, but Im scared I may never be able to ski, golf, and ride a bike without pain again ( forget about running, I have no interest, and its the only thing the OS told me not to do)

I felt the same way. Before surgery, I was increasingly immobilized, had pain 24/7, and had to give up all the activities that I loved. It took a lot of willpower to just go to the grocery store or to keep our home clean and tidy.
Lots of weeping went on, believe me.
Just this morning my sister and I were texting about being pain free these days. She had her THR about 2 years before I had mine. We both marvel every single day that there is no more pain. We both do anything we want to do. It's a miracle to be in the middle of some task or activity, and to suddenly realize "Hey, no pain!" Before THR, sometimes just standing in a checkout line, I'd cry, it hurt so badly. Nowadays, once in a while in a checkout I start to cry out of gratutude that nothing hurts.
This is not to say that recovery doesn't bring some discomfort as healing happens and our bodies readjust. And it doesn't mean that shoulders or feet or other parts don't get achey or sore. They do. But all that is a big fat nothing compared to the horrible grinding pain from bad hips. Actually, I'm also grateful for muscle soreness these days...it means I'm back to lots of activity!
Some people have an easier go of it than others. And some don't have other deteriorating joints to give them grief. I hope you, like me, are one of these fortunates.
Keep your eye on the prize and get through these last few months as best you can. Look forward with hope and faith that much better days are ahead.

@greeneyedjan Everyone's journey through joint replacement is different. But if you allow your self to heal first before trying to "get in shape" for sports, I think you will find that yes you can get back to your favorite activities. If you go over to the Social Room here (under the community tab) you will find a stickied thread at the top for all the bike riders here -- almost 100 pages long!

When my OS discharged me after having my BTHR he said the only life time restriction a I had was "no bungie jumping" ... which is totally fine with me as that has never been on my bucket list! And I was 64yo when I had that surgery. Since then I have traveled a lot, done lots of dancing, walking, and other fun activities ( I am not very athletic but that's just me). Every day is a blessing to have 2 pain free hips no matter what I am doing!

We have seen lots of folks here who have a hip replaced (or 2) and return to their favorite activities and some to very physically strenuous jobs.

My OS has a three month lead time. This week, it will be 4 months for me. Also, anyone know anything about insurance. Im really not sure what will be covered. I dont want to get a bill for 13 k, which is the max out of pocket for the year. My friend had it with same doc and all expenses incurred were only 1500 for everything.

So thinking about the surgery, wasnt thinking about all the insurance related stuff :P

YES-hip in multiple other areas is also what happened to me. When your hip reaches that point that it needs to be replaced, your body mechanics will change to try to make up for the damage on that side which seems to cause havoc everywhere else. Hips we have found deteriorate very quickly once they get to the point of needing to be replaced.

@greeneyedjan
I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom