TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

@2chains I hear your frustration and can identify, as you know!!! Yes, @BlueSkiesHere and I are in there with you. I know how it is — we feel as though we are hardly moving/walking and yet the new knee doesn’t like it at all. I can ride a bike comfortably (haven’t tried any major hill work because of my walking issues), climb and descend stairs and stand for long periods of time. No swelling or heated sensation in knee. But, the minute I walk past a certain distance my knee is done! My work is computer-based and I can work from home, so that is not demanding. I can move around my house and do ADL for about 2.5 miles total in a day. I figured I could do similar on a “formal walk” for exercise and so tried it on Saturday. My knee didn’t like it past the 1.5 mile mark and I’m still very sore, not to mention my awful attitude with yet another setback. It does weigh on the mind! I’m so sorry you are in this way too. My pain is medial knee around the knee cap and above (quad tendon?) and a 2nd opinion says it is probably from the way my tissue was cut during surgery — but 8 months ago? Sheesh. I’m in there with you. It sounds as though you keep trying, resting, testing and trying again so don’t give up! I’ll touch base again soon.

@2chains and @ChillTime ...yep. I feel ya both. I am about to update my thread so I will tag you guys. I saw my surgeon today for the 6 month (but really it is going on 7 month) checkup. It might be reassuring. At least it was for me. See you on my thread!

Hello! Week two at home from work
Mon/wed/friday did exercises and then went on a short walk each day 6min/7min/9min.
Tues/thursday went to my local park. Did 6 min walk with 10 min rest x 4.

Averaging 4km(2.5mi) a day of overall ADL's (according to my watch) before I say uncle to knee pain.

Made my first in store shopping trip... to the pharmacy.. London Drugs on wednesday! Have been using curbside pickup or my partner to do all those tasks. Felt good to walk around and browse! 19 minutes was my total trip and I even parked at the furthest point from the store in the parking lot.
:flwrysmile:

Wow, it sounds like you are doing really well! Doing your natural PT is working out for you. It's good to hear that your life is getting back to normal.

Great report! :flwrysmile:

week 3 at home from work update..

monday/wednesday/friday at home exercises increased reps and now doing 16 reps x3// biking proving to aggravate the knee so dialled it back from 10 min to 4min x 2. Been using my peddler as the bike is in the basement. A bit too much for me to go two flights of stairs..physio happy with this modification.
Overall knee was inflamed because tried to walk a few times..11m too tough and will try again soon. :loll:

week 4 update..
monday/wednesday/friday at home exercises increased to 17 reps PT happy and got new exercises on thursday...started with 4 reps x3 didn't do any walking this week. Didn't do step ups.

Went to GP on tuesday and sees progress but slow. Trying to get to see Orthopaedics for consult regarding possible cortisone shot...not sure if appropriate or is it even done after TKR? GP worried about continued medial pain and inability to walk. Still lots of time only at 33 weeks!

Flex is at 113 degrees up from 107 and feel like I am close to being able to do downstairs one two style. Did a few test runs of "one two flights" of stairs at home. Will start to do one two from bottom two stairs and see how it goes!:yes!:

Reactions: Jcx
Trying to get to see Orthopaedics for consult regarding possible cortisone shot...not sure if appropriate or is it even done after TKR?
It is not common to have a cortisone shot into your knee after TKR, there is a risk of infection. Best to talk to your OS, they may have other ideas that might help you.

^^Thanks for letting me know!

I am taking a break from the one two step for downstairs. Too much the first few days and knee very sore later each day.
Total ADL's lead to 4500 steps for day. Off and on feels like bone pain in the shin area 2" below the joint line. Also tight vertical band about 3" wide along the incision. Will reassess tomorrow, many others have experienced similar.

Went to GP on tuesday and sees progress but slow. Trying to get to see Orthopaedics for consult regarding possible cortisone shot...not sure if appropriate or is it even done after TKR?
@2chains I had a cortisone injection I believe around the 4 month mark post BTKR for what my OS diagnosed as bursitis in my right knee. Since I had my surgery 1100kms from my home I had my OS send a report to my family DR outlining what he wanted done and I could have her do it rather than take 2 flights for a 5 minute procedure. The surgeon agreed this was the best option. Unfortunately my family Dr was not comfortable with this and I was fortunate to get in right away with another OS locally and had it done. I've had cortisone twice in my knees prior to replacement and it worked for about a month, this time I had no relief from the bursitis pain and eventually with rest, ice and home physio I can say it has resolved.
So yes cortisone is given post TKR just may not be common practice. Good luck with your recovery.

@DJL1967 Great to hear from you! Where are you at in your recovery?

I really have belief at this point that you really nailed it here;

"eventually with rest, ice and home physio I can say it has resolved."

Many of the nagging issues I have been fretting about have taken this route!

@2chains
@DJL1967 Great to hear from you! Where are you at in your recovery?

My recovery has been a real roller coaster to say the least with lots of ups and downs along the way.

I am at 13 months post op and in much better shape today than I was pre surgery however, I'm not perfect nor was I expecting to be. My left knee has a loud crepitus sound much like pre surgery which annoying and at times painful. The right knee has been good for the most part now but, I do get a sharp pain to the medial side that happens out of the blue if I stand on one leg then release the pressure. I see my OS next month so these issues will be discussed.

I have come to realize I may never go back to work on the road as a paramedic as I have difficulty kneeling on hard surfaces and I am not comfortable carrying a 200 lb+ person up/down flights of stairs. I am currently working F/T in our warehouse which involves lifting and stairs but done at my pace and not at the 911 level. I will most likely have this role till I decide to retire which hopefully will be in 3 years.

Overall I am seeing improvements just slower than expected. Take care.

Update 34 weeks...

New exercises progressed x10 3 sets. Initially started with x5 reps 3 sets. Also did my interval walk today 8 mins with 10 min rest x 3 sets. Temps have dropped..5c basically have the pathways to myself! Feels great to be outside not really that cool if you are moving and stay in the sun!

Cut back on cycling again as recently it feels like it is aggravating my knee. Haven't changed seat location or interval not sure what is going on. Anyone else find they had to cut back on the stationary bike? Seems like many advocate cycling for rehab...

Pleased to report that I've gone down one full set of stairs one two today!!! Did it 3x today but don't want to overdo it. Still more to come...
:flwrysmile:

Anyone know about medial soft tissue release and its effects? I am re reading my Postop report and thought I read on another's thread... can't seem to find it.

@sistersinhim had a medial release done at one time, and she mentions if from time to time. Is that what you’re thinking of?

I don't recall who posted but they mentioned that this procedure was/is known to have complications. Was thinking the post came from a recent TKR?

I had a lateral release done during my PKR surgery, I do have issues, but no one has confirmed that they are related to the release, though I suspect in my case that they are.

Does your post op report say you had a medial release done? Do you suspect a problem?

@sistersinhim had a medial release done at one time, and she mentions it from time to time. Is that what you’re thinking of?
Yes, my OS did a medial release when I had my TKR. Before that, I had 2 lateral releases on each knee. These are done to help the knee and kneecap track properly.

When I had the lateral releases done years ago I wore an immobilizer for 6-8 weeks to allow the tendons to heal. After my TKR I was still having pain on the inside of my knee months afterward so I ordered my surgical report and found that my OS did a medial release during my TKR. That explained my pain in that area and eased my mind, knowing it was a normal reaction to having a release.

I had a lateral release done during my PKR surgery, I do have issues, but no one has confirmed that they are related to the release, though I suspect in my case that they are.

Does your post op report say you had a medial release done? Do you suspect a problem?
Yes OR report shows medial release was done. I'm still having pain medial side of the knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom