TKR Second TKR coming up on Monday, two weeks after the first ~ Any tips on how best to get around?

Bax3

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone! I've read SO much useful information over the past several months that helped me prepare both mentally and physically for my LTKR last week. I can't thank you all enough for your stories and helpful ideas. I have my RTKR scheduled for this coming Monday, two weeks after having my LTKR. My PT has been coming along ok but since my currently replaced knee is about to take over as the knee that should be doing it all, I'm getting quite anxious about it, as it feels nowhere near ready. I do have plenty of help, family-wise, I'm just concerned about the getting around part. How do you move around, get up from the toilet, get in and out of bed, etc... Any thoughts and suggestions would be so greatly appreciated! Oh, and if there are any other things that I might not be thinking about, please feel free to enlighten me on those too! Thank you! ❤️

Can’t advise I’m afraid but I feel for you !
If you couldn’t cope I wouldn’t think the consultant would do it so soon after your other TKR? Good luck, keep us up to date how you’re doing. Bix

Hi Everyone! I've read SO much useful information over the past several months that helped me prepare both mentally and physically for my LTKR last week. I can't thank you all enough for your stories and helpful ideas. I have my RTKR scheduled for this coming Monday, two weeks after having my LTKR. My PT has been coming along ok but since my currently replaced knee is about to take over as the knee that should be doing it all, I'm getting quite anxious about it, as it feels nowhere near ready. I do have plenty of help, family-wise, I'm just concerned about the getting around part. How do you move around, get up from the toilet, get in and out of bed, etc... Any thoughts and suggestions would be so greatly appreciated! Oh, and if there are any other things that I might not be thinking about, please feel free to enlighten me on those too! Thank you! ❤️
Get her done and go through the pain once rather then 2 years of no sleep & pain.
Search Bilateral and ask them your questions and concerns.
Good luck.

I used one of those non wheeled walkers to help me get up off the toilet. I raised the lid and put the front up against it. This gave me something to push on to get me to my feet. I adjusted it as low as it would go but you can adjust to suit.

Oh yeah, I also got 2 of those bead hot/cold packs for the back. They wrapped around about 2/3 rds. of my knee and the straps held it on so I could move around some. I got mine at Walgreens and if you have medicare advantage, they are covered by your otc benefits.

I have my RTKR scheduled for this coming Monday, two weeks after having my LTKR.
Please give us your exact dates so we can add them to your signature for you. This helps all of us to know when your surgeries were.

I would never have the courage to do what you are doing! I could barely make it when my new knee was 2 weeks old, much less making it take over and do all the work. You will need lots of help. Don't worry about any PT. Just being about to move around in the house will be enough for both knees. Don't be surprised if you feel exhausted. Your body hasn't recovered from the first surgery and you're adding another one to it. Get as much rest as you can before your next surgery to help your body recuperate.

Thank you so much! I actually just now moved my second surgery date back a few weeks. I sure hope I'm not making a mistake by doing so but I need to be ready for it and I just don't think I will be by this Monday. My surgery dates were/are: LTKR was 9/19/22 and the RTKR will be 10/31/22. I have to say again, this group is amazing and I'm so grateful to be a part of it!

Hi @Bax3, I’m glad you moved your surgery date. I know it’s tempting to just get it over with but your new knee will be so much more able to cope with the stress of the next surgery by adding a few weeks.

You asked for recommendations regarding things that might help you with every day tasks and I have a couple suggestions. I bought a potty chair with side handles. It’s the type that can be used bedside as a complete potty chair. I removed the bucket that was attached underneath and placed it frame over the toilet. It was so nice when I couldn’t stand up from sitting on my own as my arms were able to take over and help me up. I also used a shower chair with side arms for the same reason.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks @agsmom! I wasn't initially sure after I moved it back but having time to digest it over the last few hours, I feel much less anxious about it and I know I'm making the right decision.

The potty chair you mentioned is an absolute godsend and by far my MOST favorite purchase. I don't think I've ever looked so forward to sitting on the toilet as I do now ~ Those are words I never imagined passing through my lips, lol!

Thanks also for the well wishes. I hope your recovery is/was a smooth one!

Best Wishes for surgery on Monday!
We'll be watching for you on the healing side.
Please join us there once you're feeling up to it. :SUNsmile:
@Bax3

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU!!! It's good to know what to expect now and this forum has done SO much for me in my physical healing as well as the emotional/mental side of things. Truly, a million thanks!

Best wishes for tomorrow, @Bax3. Hope it is smooth sailing and that we'll hear from you in the recovery forum in a few days. :flwrysmile:

@benne68 I am so appreciative of your well wishes, and am sending a VERY grateful thank you. I'll be back soon for an update!

How do you move around, get up from the toilet, get in and out of bed
Your surgery is like having them both done together; minimum recovery time! Getting up from seated is the most difficult thing as it puts stress through, having a toilet seat riser is a boon. Otherwise, just take everything very easy. Being able to live all on one level is good too; I couldn't, but I did one trip a day to and from my bedroom

Well, I thought after having my LTKR done 6 weeks ago, I'd be better prepared for my RTKR this past Monday and that's kind of what happened but with a little different outcome. They did a spinal with the first surgery and everything was perfect. For some reason they weren't able to do the spinal this time and after two tries they had to go with general anesthesia. I woke up with horrible nausea and a splitting headache. The nausea subsided the next day but it's two days later and I'm still experiencing the headache. I've been icing my head with an ice bag and covering my eyes with a towel because the light makes it worse. I called the doctor and they prescribed something for the nausea but suggested I wait the headache out. They did say I could supplement my Norco (pain medication) with Acetaminophen but I just have to make sure I don't exceed 3000 mg of the Acetaminophen per day, mind you, each Norco contains 325 mg of Acetaminophen and at 2 pills every 4 hours, there's no room left for any additional Acetaminophen. Any ideas on kicking this headache would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bax3. I suffer from migraines and I don’t know if it would work for your headache or not, but there are a couple things that help me. The first depends on whether you are allowed to take NSAID’s or not. If you are, then take one dose of nsaid plus 1000mg acetaminophen plus a double shot of espresso. They key is to get the caffeine into your system quickly and at the same time as the nsaid and acetaminophen. I ice the coffee so I can chug it quickly.

If you are not allowed nsaids, you can use a sink, tub, or bucket and fill with enough hot water to come up to your ankles. As hot as you can stand. Put your feet in the hot water and then lay an ice pack on the back of your neck. Close your eyes and rest your head in your hands (I even put a light towel over my head to make it darker). Sit this way as long as you can stand it, or until the water begins to cool (if it feels good to you, you can even refresh the hot water and/or ice pack and go longer). Afterward, lie down in a dark room and you should already be feeling better. I don’t know why this works but it does. When my migraine has been really bad I have done both of these methods combined.

Good luck, I hope you feel better! :console2:

Thank you so much @JusticeRider, I just woke up to see your post and I think I'm on the other side of the hill with my headache now. Both sound like good ideas that I may need to try if it returns. Thanks so much!

Hi @Bax3, glad your headache is easing. Sorry but I wouldn’t be putting my ankles or feet in very hot water this soon after knee surgery. Could cause no end of problems.

Bax3, I’m so glad your headache is easing up! Hopefully you won’t need to try either of those suggestions! :)

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
It looks like you're coming up on a two month anniversary for, Righty, on NYE. Lots to celebrate, Christmas, New Years Eve and more time under your belt with your two new knees.
I hope you have a lovely Christmas!
@Bax3
:santa-dance: :wreath::carols:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is