Bilateral THR Jad26 in recovery

I had a similar (i think) waterproof outer dressing that i took off after a week. Steri strips underneath which took another couple of weeks to fall off. Took showers after the outer dressing was off, no problems and here I am at 9+ weeks. Just be gentle, as others have said just let the soap and water splash over the incision, pat dry, and call it done.

@Jad26 At this stage both of mine looked different but now, 10+ years out, they are both very thin white scars. Hardly noticeable at all.

Yeah mine were pretty ‘crinkly’ / uneven looking at a few weeks out but by now at 9ish weeks are very smooth/flat. Hope yours progress the same way too!

Thank you all for your replies it helped put my mind at ease. As the day went on i started to forget that i even took the dressings off lol everything seems ok hopefully they continue to heal smoothly. Heres a update on my progress so far

2 weeks post op update. Getting about the house with no crutches sometimes use one if feeling a bit stiff. Can prepare meals and wash up by myself but not overdoing it . I Manage to extend my outdoor walks with both crutches doing about 1500 steps a day for the last 3 days. Up and down curbs and bed excercises when i remember lol so far everything seems good. Im not on any pain relief my last paracetamol was Tuesday evening. Downside is my knees have swelled up as i have inflammatory arthritis condition so they feel a bit stiff and heavy which gets me down as i feel im doing so well now i got my knees hurting more than my hips. Still hasnt stopped me from walking but i can just feel they are really stiff got alot of fluid in them. I may have to start taking medication not something i want to do but i really dont want to have to end up with knee replacements in the future i need to speak with my rheumatologist. But other than that my hips seems to be going well sleeping is much better, walking at a good pace, no painkillers so happy with how its going just my knees bothering me

I'm sorry your knees are bothering you as much as they are because otherwise you seem to be doing very well.
I hope the pain in your knees eases soon.
@Jad26

Hit a milestone today I finally got to pick my daughter up from school something i would never of been able to do pre op as the walk was to far and every step was painful. I managed it with one crutch aswell walked just over a mile

@Jad26 Bravo!!! I bet your daughter was thrilled to see her Dad come pick her up from school! :walking:

:wow:
Just catching up... glad to see you are beginning to see how good it will be.:tada:
Slow and steady, friend.
These are still early days!

Hope your Wednesday is happy.

Yep she was
@Jad26 Bravo!!! I bet your daughter was thrilled to see her Dad come pick her up from school! :walking:
She certainly was lol slightly confused aswell she said "dad why are u picking me up" lol. Then she wanted to show me around her playground but she was happy it was a nice feeling to be able to pick her up

:wow:
Just catching up... glad to see you are beginning to see how good it will be.:tada:
Slow and steady, friend.
These are still early days!

Hope your Wednesday is happy.
Yeah going to take it easy today i done alot of walking yesterday and thank you have a great day!

Aww, that's awesome! I can imagine how your daughter loved seeing her daddy at school.
Don't be shy with the icing if you're feeling the need today. :ice: You're doing well!
@Jad26

Is it normal to feel a bit stiff and sore the next day after doing to much? I managed to walk 2 miles yesterday without any crutches but feel a little bit more stiffer today than usual. Its the longest ive been able to walk for about 14 months

Is it normal to feel a bit stiff and sore the next day after doing to much?
Well, you are only days out of major surgery! Yes, it is normal to feel stiff and sore when you do too much. The trick is to do half the distance you think you can do. If you are stiff the next day, keep your walks to that half distance. If you are not stiff, lengthen the distance just a bit more.

Sounds like someone is flirting with the ODIC, lol. Ever heard of the ODIC? Better known here as the Over Did It Club. A place you don't want to be, trust us. :wink:

It is amazing how our bodies warn us when we've pushed it too far. Be a good listener and have a wonderful weekend. You're coming along nicely in your recovery.
@Jad26

Thanks all for the replies i may have joined the over did it club lol i still managed to go for a walk but only done half of what i did yesterday so feeling ok now resting for the rest of the day watching movies lol. Just my knees are a real pain but other than that things are going well 3 weeks post op. Walking much better and do not need crutches hopefully keep improving week by week. When are things like sauna and swimming and bathing allowed is it after 6 weeks?

Each surgeon is different in their recovery protocol it seems. My OS advised no baths, pools, hot tubs, lakes, basically any body of water until I was three months post op. It seemed extreme, but I have read of about a handful of others advised the same. I followed his instruction because I figured if I didn't I could only blame myself for not listening.

Sauna's...hmm, not sure about that one. I'm sure you'll receive feedback on both, but you may want to check with your surgeons office.
@Jad26

4 weeks post op.
I think i overdo it sometimes with the walking on thursday and Friday i walked over 2 miles both days and noticed i was a little sore yesterday especially my right side and my knees dont help as they also playing up³. I just love walking now but need to tell myself its ok to rest cos i feel im not doing enough. Can go up stairs without holding on but coming down need to support myself. Not on any painkillers anymore. I need to start working on range of motion or will that get better as i heal? Still cant put socks or shoes on im just confused i dont know when its safe to start trying different movements/positions like putting myself to the floor and try to get up etc. I can bend over to pick things up but cant reach if its flat on the floor? Had a horrible flu/fever this week that lasted about 2 days I duno if its related to surgery or i caught it from my partner as she was ill a few days before. Overall im happy with how things are going but i dont know what i should be doing 4 weeks post op like should i be completely pain free? Is it normal to have some days where the pain is worse? When can i not worry about resteictions? Lol just a bit confused seems like im stuck

As you are reading each recovery is very different and each doctor has their own views, restrictions were lifted for me at 3 months, at 6 months I was free to do whatever I wanted except train for a marathon (joke), or do aerobics.
All my best.

Hi @Jad26
One month out was a tough time for me, honestly.
After all of the pre-op chronic pain... anxiety about upcoming BTHR... elation after the surgery for getting through it... tough 1st weeks...
The cabin fever and post-op blues threatened to set in along with the trial-and-error method of How Much is Too Much.:gaah:
I just love walking now but need to tell myself its ok to rest cos i feel im not doing enough.
Shorter walks several times per day were easier on me...
Can go up stairs without holding on but coming down need to support myself.
This was my experience too... for first 8 or 9 weeks, at least.
Sometimes one of my legs would feel a little unstable on its own, so No Falling is the main rule!
I need to start working on range of motion or will that get better as i heal?
I found it improved with time more than working toward it...
. Overall im happy with how things are going but i dont know what i should be doing 4 weeks post op like should i be completely pain free? Is it normal to have some days where the pain is worse? When can i not worry about resteictions? Lol just a bit confused seems like im stuck
I still had discomfort and aches at 4 weeks and beyond and likely you will find it is an ebb and flow.
I found that extra painful days were certainly an indication of overdoing activity.

Still early days, my double hippy pal...
Slow and steady really does get us there faster.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom