THR Question before surgery

Gigirajah

Country
United States United States
Oct.28 right hip. My first surgery. Suffered 10 years with this. Glad I finally decided to get it repaired. I was wondering about the no pets in bed after surgery instructions from my doctor. I have two small very clean hypoallergenic dogs that sleep on top of covers. Is this going to be an issue? I need to prepare ahead of time. Thanks!

Hi @Gigirajah :welome: to BoneSmart.

Although I have had no experience as yet with my hips, I've had two knee replacements, on both replacements my dogs ( non hypoallergenic) on my first replacement both my Brittany Spaniel and Daschund continued to share my bed, they were extremely gentle. They know instintively that we are suffering and want to offer their support, after my second surgery our Brittany had crossed the rainbow so my doxie was even more so comforting gentle resting her head on my non operated side, even now 8 months on she is still cautious of my knees.

HIP Recovery

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I was wondering about the no pets in bed after surgery instructions from my doctor.
I never understand why anyone would make this suggestion. I assume they just don't like animals. There is no risk of anything if your pets are sleeping with you. In fact, the advantages far outweigh any disadvantage. Our pets are a great comfort during recovery.

Post both my THRs I had 2 cats with at least 1 always on the bed. They tended to stay away from my op leg - almost knowing I was in recovery.

@Gigirajah I had 2 Maine Coon cats - big girls - when I had my BTHR. They both slept next to me while I was healing and were wonderful purr-a-medics! I think the only concern would be if your pups liked to lay on top of you or were given to kicking or having midnight wresting matches (my girls did that a time or two and had to get gently but firmly put on the floor). You will not want any heavy weight on your new hip! Nor will you want it jarred in any way.

Also many people have difficulty sleeping after having a joint (or 2) replaced and your dogs may find that unsettling.

Thank you. I’ll keep that in mind. My dogs are small. 13 and 7 lbs. they like to snuggle on top of covers on either side of me. They are easy to re-adjust if need be.

Hello! I’m having my right hip replaced a few days after you, on October 31. I have cats that like to sit on my lap. I asked my doctor if that would be a problem and he said no. Right now that it’s summer they sleep next to me, but once it cools down the like to be on top of me. That, I expect, might be a problem. We’ll see!

I also have a cat who likes to sit on my lap winter or summer and i haven't allowed him to sit on my lap for the time being just whilst I'm still a bit tender 6 days op. When im going sleep i do shut him out my bedroom as he can just jump up randomly in the middle of the night which can cause me to jump something im trying to avoid lol. I still allow him on the bed next to me just not when im going to sleep

@Gigirajah, I just got my surgery date yesterday and my hubby and pup made the three-hour drive with me. When we got to the large surgery center, I asked the receptionist if they could wait inside the lobby area for me and, of course, she agreed. Pup is a Golden Retriever, service dog, named Jenny, and all I can say is that every waiting room should have "comfort dogs" for the patients and their caregivers! My hubby stayed busy with folks wanting to pet her or play with her the entire time I was with the doctor and techs. Guess she'll continue to work her magic on me after my surgery because there is no preventing her from being at my side. BTW, she instinctively knew to be careful and gentle around the patients she interacted with at the center. Aren't we all so blessed to have our critters??
:dogsniff::meow:

Last edited:
First off CONGRATS!!!!!! Getting a date for surgery is the best. As for no pets, honestly it’s a personal decision. Generally it’s common sense that if you have a rambunctious dog that you should maybe consider keeping them off the bed, so that you don’t risk getting stepped on in a place that will hurt, or move your leg in a way it shouldn’t if you get post op restrictions.

We have 2-20 lbs(ish) dogs that are incredibly playful and little monsters, however they KNEW something was wrong with me and I was injured. Their behaviour completely changed from what it normally is.

If you have pets that you are unsure about, perhaps try it first with someone there with you to help supervise, just in case.

Animals can offer quite a lot of love and companionship in those early stages after surgery, and I know I wouldn’t have done it without them. The first week was spent sleeping, and I always both of them at my side sleeping with me. Nothing beats getting animal cuddles when you most want them.

I have two Australian Shepherds. They are extremely lovable and protective. I couldn't keep them away from me if I wanted to...which I don't. They were all over me after my knee replacement because they felt they had to "take care of me". No problems. And my surgeon, also a dog lover, got a kick out of my doggie nurse stories.

My car story is a little different... post-first-hip, we had three youngish cats, all of whom loved laps but only one of whom was allowed to sleep with us, which she did either between us or on hubby's legs-- never mine.

We got me home from the hospital, and I sat me down on the couch while exhausted and needing my pain med. one of the cats meow-ndered in, to say hello. Before I could stop him, up on my brand new anterior incision he leapt, all 12 lbs of him. I shrieked, he set his claws and launched off my lap, landed running, and didn't come back in that room for hours. From that moment on I put a flat chair cushion on my lap every time I sat or lay down!

I did have one concern about that little episode, and that was the bloody claw marks on my thigh (summer clothes, no protection), very close to the incision. Cat claws are so very not clean! So I'm thinking maybe the surgeon doesn't want any chance of a bite? OTOH, maybe he just doesn't like animals and is ignorant of the overwhelming therapeutic effect pets have.

@Gigirajah I have cats and they were very good at sensing I wasn't quite 100%. As a precaution I always had a throw pillow by my incision when on the couch or a bed pillow when in bed. Plus I had ice packs on pretty much non stop so that helped. They really were very gentle around me. They were very good at staying out of my way when using the walker or cane. Of course now all bets are off and I'm fair game again! :heehee:

Best Wishes for your surgery tomorrow @Gigirajah
We have lots of information and helpful hints for you on the healing side. Please join us there once you're settled in at home and resting comfortably. Hope to see you there soon! :wave:

Will do. I’m doing my cleaning prep tonight. Surgery tomorrow at 9:30. At least that’s when they want me to arrive. Out patient surgery.

Best wishes for your surgery, thinking of you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back