THR How were you at 4 weeks post op? (Anterior THR)

Hi llurbs.
It is nice to hear from you. I think you already know it's about finding a healthy balance between activity and rest at this point to avoid unnecessary discomfort or pain. It took me several months to be able to withstand the tight confines of a car for more than 30-40 minutes, after that...I wanted out! Also, standing for any length of time was uncomfortable in those early months. Trial / error and more time healing and all this will resolve. Tomorrow is a special day. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
@llurbs

Thanks @Layla !! Feels like just yesterday and yet a lifetime ago lol. Really nice to hear from everyone. Seems like for the most part everyone is doing well, yay!
@Eman85 I would like to hear your setback story if you are willing to share. I think it would be good for me to hear.

Not much to it except thinking I was fully recovered and attempting to do some basic chores around the house and using a ladder. Standing on the ladder for longer than I should have evidently strained the muscles terribly. It took 3 weeks of sitting and icing to get back to where I was at 3 mos. Another great torture device for THR recovery is a string trimmer. It's surprising how much strain certain things put on the muscles that surround the hip. Holding anything heavy out in front of you puts tremendous strain on that part of your body.

@Eman85 Yes! I notice when I try to do things with my left leg/hip my right experiences a lot of pain just trying to stabilize.

At almost 6 weeks, I am totally content with not climbing ladders, edging my yard, and sticking to safer activities like walking 30 min a day, 15 min a day at my desk cycle and my pt exercises which are still the same as week one (per surgeons orders), just increasing repetitions. I am giving my hip the tender loving care it needs to heel. I had the posterior hip surgery and have strict precautions for the first six weeks. I am compliant. I am, for the most part, pain free. I am still using a cane because when I don't, I feel a twinge of pain that causes me to limp a bit. That twinge will go away. For now my hip is saying, give me more time. I see my ortho for my 6 week post op visit in a few days and will see what he has to say. Be careful, be patient and it will pay off in the long run.

Hi! Overall I'm doing well. I do however still get pain when I overdo it. Yesterday I was very sore. I went to my sons Cross Country meet which involved a lot of driving then standing for hours followed by more driving. I then proceeded to invite people over for dinner which involved cooking and cleaning. Not smart. I don't know if it would be "normal" to still have pain at this point (2 months post op) but I feel it might be for me as I have noticed a trend of being pain free after having a more relaxed week. Followed by a week of doing too much because I'm feeling good. I think my muscles are just like "what the heck are we doing here??" Plus my left hip is scheduled for its replacement on December 14 so I'm compensating there as well. Trying not to get frustrated! How are my other July peeps? @cold_brew @barbloki @dnordo220
Hi @llurbs
I am doing very well. I turned a corner last week. I've been going to PT twice a week and one session was extremely hard. I couldn't move for 4 days but on the 5th day I woke up feeling good and strong. I guess I just have to push the muscles to the edge and feel the tightness for a few days and then it relaxes. I'm still on hip restrictions so no bending over. I'm still using the sock device and the grabber to pull up underpants and shorts. I can't wait to be released from these restrictions so I can bend over and cut my toenails and shave my legs. I'm on 12 weeks today since surgery and everything is getting back to normal. Stairs are ok going up but going down is harder. Lots of weight on my right thigh and knee. I need to just keep practicing. Are you sure you want to have the left hip done? I'm praying I never need mine done. Once was enough for me.

@barbloki Its hard to find that balance of exercise that makes headway yet doesn’t cause problems. It’s super easy to overdo. I hope you’ll continue to let you body heal without signing up for too many responsibilities. I’m sure your loved ones would rather you have a successful outcome than a big dinner.

Regarding shaving your legs. This is a bit of a joke on me ad I was obsessed with how I could manage to shave my legs without breaking restrictions eight years ago with my first hip surgery. I literally spent hours trying everything I could imagine and nothing worked — until I remembered the “old” Nair commercials on tv! My sister searched our Walgreens and it’s still here and improved! Lotion on, let it sit for a few, and wipe down your legs. Hair gone! Might take two applications the first time but it does the trick. Then get a nice warm shower. Heaven.

Hi @barbloki !
Glad to hear you are doing well!! I'm doing pretty well. I too am still trying to find balance as far as strengthening my muscles and doing too much. It's a catch 22 as I believe the pain I have is from my muscles being so weak (not from the joint) yet when I do exercises to strengthen them they flare up. Working on finding a sweet spot! Oh I wish I didn't have to have my left done but its actually the worse of the two. important to do them in the same year as far as insurance. I'm putting us in the poor house as it is but finally met that deductible. lol It's been 7 years since I first heard I would have to have this done. Waited as long as I could. As 1 surgeon told me.. you are in your forties with 80 year old hips. Needless to say that is not the dr I went with. True or not I didn't care for her approach. I'm healing and getting stronger everyday!! That's my mantra.

@beachgal looks like tomorrow is the big day for your rightie!! Good luck! thinking of you and sending positive vibes!

Just some info from me. I just found this site last week. Am 8 weeks out. I felt the same and pushed myself to get back to "normal" and now I am frustrated because I am not progressing like I was the first 3-4 weeks. My advice is dont push it. Everything I have read here tells us not to. Also I had a PT who really pushed me. I quit this week after reading do's and don't of PT. She kind of made me feel like I should be doing more and more.

Also I am a nurse and when I saw my red blood count (anemia level) went down from 8.6 from 12.7 pre surgery I understood it takes time for you to get your counts normal and you will feel tired until it does. I was very worried about it but read it is normal and my provider wasnt worried at all. I guess you can loss a lot of blood during the surgery. It could take 2-3 months to get back your blood levels. Drink lots of water and eat protein rich foods!!!

:hi: @llurbs
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Good to read you are healing as expected and feeling stronger. I hope Lefty isn't hindering your progress and time flies between now and December 14th. Great things to look forward to in the New Year with two shiny new hips.
A wonderful weekend to you!

Thanks Layla! Things are moving along! Another woman mentioned to me she was having a hard time with turning 50 next year (I turn 50 next year also) and I thought to myself I'm excited to turn 50! For the first time in a long time I am hopeful for the coming years. My hips have made me feel old before my time for so long. That is definitely a silver lining in this whole process. Its like a rebirth of sorts!

Thanks Layla! Things are moving along! Another woman mentioned to me she was having a hard time with turning 50 next year (I turn 50 next year also) and I thought to myself I'm excited to turn 50! For the first time in a long time I am hopeful for the coming years. My hips have made me feel old before my time for so long. That is definitely a silver lining in this whole process. Its like a rebirth of sorts!
Hi llurbs. I had my right THR done 10 months ago after 6 years of pain, turned 50 in August this year and gas my left THR nearly 4 weeks ago. Recovered great from the first hip, still early days with this one and trying desperately to remind myself that it WILL get better (still in a lot of pain). But, I'm looking ahead to next summer when, finally, I will be able to celebrate my 50th and go on our planned holiday. So many plans had to get postponed over the past 6 years as I couldn't see the point whilst I could hardly walk and was in so much pain. Bring on next summer!!

@llurbs
My hips have made me feel old before my time for so long. That is definitely a silver lining in this whole process. Its like a rebirth of sorts!
This is exactly how I felt and still do.
After hip replacement at age 53 1/2, I will be turning 60 next year and I feel stronger and younger than before my BTHR:egypdance:
New hips Rock!

@llurbs @Kazza22 @Mojo333 You guys are in for the best lives going forward with many adventures ahead! I’m the old timer her, me thinks, as I’ll turn 70 in December. How happy I am to have no excuse now for not gobbling up life! We have a three-week cruise/land tour for next summer from Barcelona to Athens and a few shorter trips before then to test our energy and stamina. No, this gal will not go away quietly! Still much to do!
:yes!:

I’m at nearly 4 weeks and continually yo-yo around. While I can recognise my progress I still struggle with discouragement at any bad day. The advice to recap week on week rather than day to day is excellent. I wish I’d get better at this!

The hardest thing for me is night time. I don’t think I’ve fallen asleep before 2a.m since coming home. No matter whether my day has been busy or quiet, whether I’ve had grumbly pain all day or felt quite good, the nights are the pits. It’s not outright pain so much as restlessness, discomfort, inability to find the right position. I thought this would have settled by now but it’s my chief bugbear. Hoping this too is normal!
I think this is very normal. I feel lucky as sleep is not something I have struggled with (which is very good because I extremely sensitive to lack of sleep) That being said, I'm still sleeping on the couch. It's been so much more comfortable for me as I can keep my knee bent then rest it up against the back of the couch. I'm just now getting to the point where I can fully extend my leg without much pain. Another victory I wasn't paying attention to! I tried our bed one night and woke up with my whole body hurting! I didn't realize how bad our mattress is. I hope this resolves for you soon @Hipster_2906 There is a free app called "Insight Timer" I have used for nighttime meditations in the past when dealing with difficulty falling asleep.
@Hipster_2906 my late evenings/nights are definitely the worst times. Like you, it's the restless leg/fidgets but also very achy in my calf. I'm waking every 2 hours but this 3rd post op week I'm at least not having to take pain relief every time. Instead, get up and ice and watch a programme or an hour to "try" to relax whilst I'm awake rather than get fed up about it

@llurbs @Hipster_2906 Just a few suggestions….be sure you are drinking enough water during the day. Not only does it help keep your body hydrated in general but it will help tremendously with leg cramps or any other muscle issues. Also, I do the beginning little PT exercises throughout the day when I’m sitting or lying down. Ankle pumps, gentle moving of op leg out to side but not overextended, just enough to create a bit of space between your crotch (sorry but you get it), i slide my heel, bending my knee toward my chest but only to about a 30-degree angle, thigh presses, butt squeezes, then ice and rest. Be sure to position your ice packs where it hurts! I’ve had ongoing aches in my groin and my outer thigh near my knee. Incision pain is nonexistent.

Again, throw away the calendar and quit looking at the time. Sleep/nap when your body allows but give it a chance to totally relax. Plump up achy spots with little pillows and be sure your home is cooler than usual. White noise helps or a fan. Limit your caffeine intake. Think of a happy, peaceful experience in your life and replay it slowly in your mind as you settle into bed. Drift to that place and time and be there.

Hoping you will get good rest soon as it is an important part of recovery. I was well into my second week with hip #1 before I slept longer than three hours. Prayers for the sandman to sprinkle some magic on you today.
:sleep:

Hi llurbs. I had my right THR done 10 months ago after 6 years of pain, turned 50 in August this year and gas my left THR nearly 4 weeks ago. Recovered great from the first hip, still early days with this one and trying desperately to remind myself that it WILL get better (still in a lot of pain). But, I'm looking ahead to next summer when, finally, I will be able to celebrate my 50th and go on our planned holiday. So many plans had to get postponed over the past 6 years as I couldn't see the point whilst I could hardly walk and was in so much pain. Bring on next summer!!
Yes!! Next summer will be wonderful for both of us! My family caught me running up the stairs last week( I forgot I had a zoom meeting for work:dubious: ) and were like "woah mom, go!". without thinking I sprinted up the steps! Not long ago I was hobbling up the stairs like a tin man. A groan with every step. It was so depressing.(This was before my replacement) Sometimes I forget how far I have come already.(with only 1 new hip!) Really puts things in perspective. Our futures are bright:)

@llurbs
My hips have made me feel old before my time for so long. That is definitely a silver lining in this whole process. Its like a rebirth of sorts!
This is exactly how I felt and still do.
After hip replacement at age 53 1/2, I will be turning 60 next year and I feel stronger and younger than before my BTHR:egypdance:
New hips Rock!
So good to know!! It gets hard to hear "you are so young to be having this done" People just have no idea what we live with!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl