THR One year anniversary THR

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Glad you're doing so well, engaging in all you love and enjoying the Summer with your new hip.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@Sohowarrior

@Sohowarrior
I thought of you this morning when I sat cross-legged for the first time in probably 20 years! No pain, just a little bit stiff. My knees do not touch the ground; rather about 45 degrees, but I’m happy!) Eleven weeks today.

What a great report! That is so encouraging for others. Keep up the great progress!:dancy:

Thanks to all for your good wishes. I don’t think I’m amazing, but I do think I was lucky to be in good shape before my surgery with only moderate pain. And the amazing people were my surgeon, Alejandro Gonzalez de La Valle, and the team at HSS and my wonderful PT, I’ll go back to him for a few sessions in September since they are still covered by Medicare for 2022.

We have heard his name mentioned on the forum several times and its always been positive. It seems you had a lot working in your favor which is always a blessing. Have a beautiful weekend!
@Sohowarrior

What a wonderful 4 month update @Sohowarrior ! Thank you. I do agree that pre-hab is important for a smoother recovery. Looking forward to your 5 month update!

Five months tomorrow after anterior approach THR and I am one happy camper. Honestly, I forget that I actually had this surgery, which is crazy. I was never a runner, so that’s not an issue for me, but every other athletic activity is fine, with one or two movements involving turning my leg inward which I simply don’t do. I don’t have all my lower body golf power yet, but it’s far better than at the beginning of the summer and I continue to improve. On rare occasion,I have some minimal swelling in my foot and ankle at the end of the day but it is not painful and it disappears overnight. I do try to use a railing at all times when going up and down steps, no reason not to when it’s available. The best news for me is that my other hip, which is far from perfect, has barely bothered me at all since i had the surgery. At some point, it’s likely that I’ll need the second replacement, but I will deal with it when the time comes and will enjoy my basically physically pain free life while I can.
My best advice: find a surgeon and facility in which you have confidence, it will make all the difference. And listen to the nice people who run this forum! We had some disagreements about my approach to recovery, which was aggressive, but we are all different yet want the same thing, to feel better!

@Sohowarrior so great to see your update! Well done on doing what works for you. That's what this recovery is all about. No "one size fits all".

More good news is that you will continue to see improvement for many more months. :thumb:

Happy Five Month Anniversary, Sohowarrior!
My best advice: find a surgeon and facility in which you have confidence, it will make all the difference. And listen to the nice people who run this forum! We had some disagreements about my approach to recovery, which was aggressive, but we are all different yet we want the same thing, to feel better!
I like your advice and thank you for the kind words in regard to the forum. I've enjoyed reading about your stellar progress. Have a great holiday!

One correction, I had posterior approach and at the time was not happy about it. I had no discussion with my surgeon about this and I had bought into the hype about healing faster with anterior. I can now say, BS! At six weeks, I was cleared for all activities. Trust your surgeon’s decision on what is best for you. I’d have liked some input but my result was so great, I’m over it.

Soho, goodonya for being fit going into surgery (precovery training), taking your surgeon and PT’s guidance, and getting after it smartly. Best wishes to you for further success, enjoyment, activity.

FWIW, my first hip was posterior and is still going strong 20 years later including snow and water skiing, mountain and road biking, golf, other. Gave up running and court sports back then and it worked.

It is hugely helpful to hear your success story as many struggle and are not so lucky. My wife described her pregnanacies in the same way, she loved being pregnant, loved all of it despite many opposite stories being told. At first, she felt unable to describe her joy given so many struggle, but found that many had her positive outcome and just determined to remain discreet about it.

Again, goodonya. Go get it.

Your story is inspiring! I am 2 weeks post op. My golf goal is 7 weeks…post op appt with my surgeon is 6 weeks. I’m feeling good, doing all the exercises, only on Tylenol as needed….fingers crossed

I want to agree with you that the pre op preparation is even more important than the post op exercises. I have been very active all my life. I have done some sort of exercise every day since i turned 20. I love yoga and have done it or pilates for 30 years. I took a cardio/wt training class and swimming for years. I did quit running due to hip pain 10 years ago. I did loss 10 pounds before my surgery. Was only overwt about that 10 pounds. I continued to exercise as best I could every day up to surgery. I feel that helped me to have a wonderful recovery. The only thing I did different from you is after 2 weeks of PT I felt it wasnt helpful but I was painful after. I think since I was in good shape the PT pushed me too hard. I waited 2 more weeks of rest and then did the exercises i knew my body could do and stopped PT. I am at 4 months now and do everything I could do before my hip went bad without pain. My point being that listening to your body is extremely important!

Next week is one year out, and I’m so happy to be able to say all is perfect. It’s as if nothing ever happened! I’m back to doing all the things I love, except without pain. Golf, Pilates, spin class, barre class, beach walks. My other hip is quiet for the most part, an occasional twinge. I’ll know when it’s time, if ever. Meantime, living my best life and grateful to my surgeon at HSS and my PT as well. And thanks to this forum for so much support and information, I remain so appreciative!

Thanks for the update @Sohowarrior ! Sounds like you are one of the lucky few who sail through this recovery. Well done!

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary! It sounds like you’re at the same place that most of us get to eventually-back to our lives and the things we love. I have found that my gratitude for that gift doesn’t diminish and I’m 4 years out. Best wishes for continued good health and happiness.
@Sohowarrior

Well, my perfect recovery and 14 month old new hip came crashing to an end yesterday afternoon when I suddenly dislocated. Not sports, not a fall, not trauma. Sitting on a stool in bathroom, bent over to put lotion on my feet, and it popped.
Short version: ambulance to Weill Cornell ER in NYC, closed reduction in the ER under sedation, actual procedure 5 minutes and back in place. I’m in a knee immobilization brace that I can take on and off, no fractures and seemingly no nerve damage. I’m actually feeling fine except for being bummed out.
Seeing surgeon in two weeks, I can get in and out of car and I’m walking unassisted (for those that remember me that should sound familiar).
I’m waiting for my surgeon’s PA to call me, hopefully she will. I was given pretty skimpy discharge info other than take it easy. Managed a shower today by balancing carefully on the affected side without full weight. Husband taking brace on and off. Getting another raised toilet seat but I’m peeing standing for now (gotten good at it). But there is a dearth of info on line about what I should be doing now. Any advice? How long do I wear this brace? I’d like to take a short walk in a couple of days if I feel ok. What’s the recovery time line? I’ve read everything from three weeks to three months. Advice on what I can and cannot do is appreciated!

@Sohowarrior That was not something I wanted to hear. At 6 months I was beginning to get over my anxiety about dislocation but clearly I was being a bit premature.
Your recovery obviously it went really well so what a shocker.
Take care. I hope you get some answers to your questions.
I also hope that it is quite rare to dislocate at 14 months.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads