TKR Crying & bending knee question

I'm also struggling to get back to work but fortunately with modified days at 6+ months. Pretty tough going with lots of inflammation, pain and stiffness. ROM is 0 degrees and 102 degrees.
As I work in construction there is a lot of time spent standing/walking therefore I am have been looking for opportunities to break or slow down discretely. A few things I can share that I have come up with...

stop walking and pull out/check cell phone or have fake call with yourself
stop walking and fumble around in my pockets looking for keys/tissue/chapstick etc
find washroom for a break
take water breaks
set vibrate alarm on watch for 45min then try to vary my task in some fashion
track down or organize manuals/documentation/plans/materials

The key for me has been to adapt and incorporate a few "micro-breaks" throughout the work day for variety and to make the day more manageable. It's not perfect but similar might be applied for either too much sitting or walking.

@jtrahan unfortunately I had no choice but to go back now. I need the money :shrug: I just do what I can to keep my knee as comfortable as possible.

@2chains my ROM is 0 (actually negative as my legs are somewhat hyperextended normally) and 103.
The things you're trying sound comparable to what I have found that's working somewhat for me:
  • Have students pick up lab packets instead of passing them out
  • Call students up to me to pick up graded work (not supposed to have students pass them out as they see other's grades)
  • Laptop riser for when I'm standing or sitting on stool
  • Alternate between stool, chair, and standing/walking
  • Have students come to me for help rather than me go to them
All these together is making being at work bearable. When I get home, I elevate and ice right away, unless I have PT. That's 3 days/week, but am going down to 2 days/week.
Finding those little things that help can have a tremendous impact on how you feel and how much swelling/pain you have.

When I get home, I elevate and ice right away, unless I have PT. That's 3 days/week, but am going down to 2 days/week.
You might consider dropping formal PT altogether at this point. With all the walking and moving about you do with your daily activities at work, you probably no longer need it.

@saleenluver
I find Kinesio tape helps with swelling and pain.
Ask your PT to Kinesio tape your knee, it may help with the pain and swelling. If it works they can show you how to tape your own knee.
You have three days to let your knee and settle down, enjoy your down time.

Last edited:
You have three days to let your knee and settle down, enjoy your down time.
I plan on it! Thanks!
Someone at work mentioned that tape to me. I think I need to try it. I'll ask the PT when I'm there Tuesday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member