TKR LTKR journey first few weeks

I have been negative for Covid since Wednesday And would have thought I should have improved by now.
I had Covid in April and it took me almost two weeks to get over that residual fatigue. Your body has been through wringer with surgery followed so soon by Covid. Give it a little time to recover.

Hi ChrisF.
OMG you got Covid on top of this ! Simply not fair … but sounds like it provided exhaustion and rest. Hope you are feeling better on all fronts. my sleepless nights have eased up. i still have trouble sleeping at times but can sleep for a couple of hours at a time now most nights.

i’ve been struggling with PT making my knee miserable for a couple of days afterwards. and today i think my sciatic nerve is acting up (never had it before). I was so gung ho on my exercises and am now backed off a bit. ..sigh..

Hang in there!

Hi ChrisF.
OMG you got Covid on top of this ! Simply not fair … but sounds like it provided exhaustion and rest. Hope you are feeling better on all fronts. my sleepless nights have eased up. i still have trouble sleeping at times but can sleep for a couple of hours at a time now most nights.

i’ve been struggling with PT making my knee miserable for a couple of days afterwards. and today i think my sciatic nerve is acting up (never had it before). I was so gung ho on my exercises and am now backed off a bit. ..sigh..

Hang in there!
Hi I’m still struggling with fatigue and not sure if it’s because of Covid or whether I’d still be this way with lack of sleep . Like you though I am getting a couple of hours at a time and do eventually fall back to sleep after waking up several times a night. I’ve not actually been for any PT because it’s been cancelled twice due to Covid, I go on Tuesday ‍ I hope it doesn’t trigger sciatica with me as I suffered dreadfully with it 2-3 weeks ago, now thankfully that’s settled down.
Now my worry is the swelling and stiffness I get when I’m trying to get back to more normal activities and I’m on my feet more. Do you have this problem? When I get up in the morning the swelling is right down but by mid afternoon it’s like a balloon and the whole leg is a slightly different colour.
I drove for the first time today which was fine (apart from the difficulty of getting in and out my granddaughter came with me and was quite nervous but I explained that I didn't need to use my left leg to drive! I should have stuck with the driving I think it was the walk to the cafe and a couple of shops that was the problem.
I don’t know about you but I thought I’d be better at this stage

Evening was the worst for me. My zingers started and so did my anxiety over hoping-to-sleep. Thankfully, it gets better.

Marie
Hi Marie, what are ‘zingers’? I dread the evenings as I get very fidgety and yes anxious and can’t wait for things to improve. I feel I’m wishing the summer away, which I hate to do. I usually love to be out gardening in these light nights

We all thought we’d be further along, at almost any stage of this recovery, so you are not alone.

The swelling you describe as the days goes on is very common, and will continue to happen for quite a while.

We all thought we’d be further along, at almost any stage of this recovery, so you are not alone.

The swelling you describe as the days goes on is very common, and will continue to happen for quite a while.
Thank you, that’s reassuring to know.

Hello, does anyone have any advice about how I can get some sleep, 8 days post op and still no sleep because of discomfort in back, bum, quad and calf - similar to cramp ☹️ It’s making doing my rehab even more difficult. Feeling pretty despondent at the moment.
hi ChrisF, i was having the same trouble and discovered one of the side effects from an anti-inflammatory medicine was behind it so I switched to something else... it might have been celebrex that caused my sleepless nights, hope this helps.

Evening was the worst for me. My zingers started and so did my anxiety over hoping-to-sleep. Thankfully, it gets better.

Marie
Hi Marie, what are ‘zingers’? I dread the evenings as I get very fidgety and yes anxious and can’t wait for things to improve. I feel I’m wishing the summer away, which I hate to do. I usually love to be out gardening in these light nights
Zingers are kind of like “zaps”. Mine were quick little zaps, intense but only for seconds. At times, my leg would jump!

Marie

Marie
Zingers are kind of like “zaps”. Mine were quick little zaps, intense but only for seconds. At times, my leg would jump!

Marie
Thank you, yes Ive started to get them. A bit like an electric shock, I guess it’s the nerves getting sorted. I try to think of them as good but I do give involuntary yelps when it happens.

Hello, does anyone have any advice about how I can get some sleep, 8 days post op and still no sleep because of discomfort in back, bum, quad and calf - similar to cramp ☹️ It’s making doing my rehab even more difficult. Feeling pretty despondent at the moment.
hi ChrisF, i was having the same trouble and discovered one of the side effects from an anti-inflammatory medicine was behind it so I switched to something else... it might have been celebrex that caused my sleepless nights, hope this helps.
Thanks, I have wondered this. I don’t take the codeine phosphate anymore and I am getting longer periods of sleep now x

Hello, I’m now 7 weeks and 4 days post op and this morning I fell from top to bottom of my staircase (carpeted) Stupidly I had something in each hand and my dog nudged me and I couldn’t hold the banister. I ended up at the bottom hitting my head on the hardwood floor and eventually in the foetal position. I really thought my time was up, as did my husband who was downstairs but heard the whole thing but could do nothing to prevent it. Long story but I’m ok, amazingly I didn’t break any bones, my new knee is very swollen but I can still bend it (I’ve iced all day) bruises are starting to come out on my back and arms as I think I tried to protect my new knee and sort of flipped myself over. Very very scary ( for my husband too) he straightened my legs as I lay on my back until I could breath more normally to reduce the panic. My right knee is also a bit swollen (PKR March 2010) but I’m hoping this is temporary as I really could not face getting a full replacement of it anytime soon! Anyway what I’m asking on here is do you think I should get checked out or just see how things go with the swelling and bruising. I should really have gone to A&E today but I’ve been in so much pain I simply couldn’t face sitting in a hospital for hours waiting to be seen. until this morning I was really doing okay and feel just about over the fatigue I felt from having Covid

I think getting checked out would be a good idea. I can't help thinking of actor Bob Saget who died of a head injury. I don't like being an alarmist but you did have a pretty spectacular fall.

Hello, I’m now 7 weeks and 4 days post op and this morning I fell from top to bottom of my staircase (carpeted) Stupidly I had something in each hand and my dog nudged me and I couldn’t hold the banister. I ended up at the bottom hitting my head on the hardwood floor and eventually in the foetal position. I really thought my time was up, as did my husband who was downstairs but heard the whole thing but could do nothing to prevent it. Long story but I’m ok, amazingly I didn’t break any bones, my new knee is very swollen but I can still bend it (I’ve iced all day) bruises are starting to come out on my back and arms as I think I tried to protect my new knee and sort of flipped myself over. Very very scary ( for my husband too) he straightened my legs as I lay on my back until I could breath more normally to reduce the panic. My right knee is also a bit swollen (PKR March 2010) but I’m hoping this is temporary as I really could not face getting a full replacement of it anytime soon! Anyway what I’m asking on here is do you think I should get checked out or just see how things go with the swelling and bruising. I should really have gone to A&E today but I’ve been in so much pain I simply couldn’t face sitting in a hospital for hours waiting to be seen. until this morning I was really doing okay and feel just about over the fatigue I felt from having Covid
Poor you. You have been in the wars. Sounds like you really feel that you should be checked out. When I was advised to go to A&E, soon after my knee replacement, I found the reassurance and peace of mind the doctors gave me did make the five hour wait worthwhile. One tip I got from my visit was to pick the right time to go. I went very early on a Sunday morning thinking it would be quiet only to find they were still dealing with the previous night’s mayhem!
Alternatively, as a first step, I wonder whether you have a nearby Urgent Treatment Centre (sometimes called a Minor Injuries Clinic) near you? They are normally equipped to do x-rays etc. but don’t have such a long waiting time. I guess it really depends upon what you think you might have injured.

I agree that you should get checked out from head to toe. You took an awful fall.

this morning I fell from top to bottom of my staircase (carpeted)
I’m so sorry you had such a drastic fall! :console2:

I understand holding off a little going to get checked out, but it’s probably a good idea. Just to be sure all is well.

More soreness and bruises might show up in the next few days. Years ago I tripped over something in our garage and I fell forward into the wall. It took 4 days for a black eye to develop!

Poor you. You have been in the wars. Sounds like you really feel that you should be checked out. When I was advised to go to A&E, soon after my knee replacement, I found the reassurance and peace of mind the doctors gave me did make the five hour wait worthwhile. One tip I got from my visit was to pick the right time to go. I went very early on a Sunday morning thinking it would be quiet only to find they were still dealing with the previous night’s mayhem!
Alternatively, as a first step, I wonder whether you have a nearby Urgent Treatment Centre (sometimes called a Minor Injuries Clinic) near you? They are normally equipped to do x-rays etc. but don’t have such a long waiting time. I guess it really depends upon what you think you might have injured.
Thank you for the reminder of a local walk in centre. I went first thing this morning and was only there an hour. I was fully checked out with stethoscope and heart monitor as well as tapped and prodded. the doctor believes the pain in my upper back is internal bruising and that there is no obstruction which is reassuring. The heart palpitations are probably adrenaline because of the shock. She assured me that my baby knee is stronger than I think and with rest it should be no worse for the ordeal.
Thank you everyone for your advice, I’m glad I got checked out x

Thank you for the reminder of a local walk in centre. I went first thing this morning and was only there an hour.
Thank God you got yourself checked out and everything is OK except for soft tissue damage. How are you feeling today? Be sure and keep that furry friend away from you and the stairs!

Thank you for the reminder of a local walk in centre. I went first thing this morning and was only there an hour.
Thank God you got yourself checked out and everything is OK except for soft tissue damage. How are you feeling today? Be sure and keep that furry friend away from you and the stairs!
Im very sore, not surprisingly but reassured that I haven’t done more permanent damage. The bruising is starting to appear in several places but I think, other than more swelling, my knee has survived the extra trauma. My ribs took most of the impact but nothing broken. I’m sure by next weekend I’ll be fully back on the road to recovery x

It's so good to hear that you are only sore and bruised and that no permanent damage was done.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts