THR I've made it to the other side!

Take the Bonesmart advice and you won’t go wrong , I too experienced similar problems with the plumbing in both rooms , but it does get better well normal overtime , it makes me wonder what they do when you’re unconscious!
Speedy recovery and best of British .

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well since we last heard from you.
It's beginning to feel like Summer is slipping away in my neck of the woods, I am already noticing some change in the leaf color. I hope you're still enjoying some beautiful weather. Stay in touch, we'll be here and love reading updates.:)
@TankGirl

Thanks for checking in! This is such a wonderful forum. I have been having a bit of depression. I thought I would be able to walk farther by now and I didn't think I'd be in pain this long. I don't know what I was thinking. I over did it yesterday so feeling it today. I'm still doing a lot of ice and elevation and pain meds and trying to keep up with the exercises and the walking but it's hard when I'm in pain and having depression. I must say that each day the pain gets less and my outlook is improving. Hope all is well with everyone

Hang in there @TankGirl ! It does get better, just don't overdo it and get impatient. A THR needs time to heal. I am at the 12 week point, and am certainly in much less pain and discomfort compared to the early days. I just posted my 12 week progress report and comparing it to my earlier weekly reports, I can see I have come a long way.

Hugs from Hong Kong!:friends:

Ah, yes. The one month anniversary and we think or had the impression we would be basically back to normal. Not so for the majority of us. Add to that, most everyone around you is moving on and can’t understand why you can’t catch up. This can add to the blues as well as the real energy drain you’re probably still feeling as your body continues to concentrate on healing. All normal. Luckily, all of it continues to improve. Still be kind, gentle, and patient with yourself. Try not to overdo and rest days are allowed. Up and down goes the healing roller coaster until it finally evens out on the home stretch. You’ll get there. Keep us updated.

I'm still doing a lot of ice and elevation and pain meds and trying to keep up with the exercises and the walking but it's hard when I'm in pain and having depression. I must say that each day the pain gets less and my outlook is improving.
There's a lot going on in that sentence! We've all done it but the cycle of trying to push the recovery with exercises and walking which cause pain then icing and taking pain meds so we can exercise and walk can be counterproductive. I figured it out with my first THR that the exercise and walking can wait, being pain free was the goal of the THR. Doing less and resting more especially in the first 6 weeks worked best for me. Plenty of time later to exercise and walk when there's no pain from it.

Feeling like you should be doing better is part of the process as well as the depression, I think my last crying session was around 3 months post op and was just feeling sorry for myself.
And I know I'm very lucky to have been able to have the surgery to fix my injury but someone (who has never broken a bone or had surgery) tells you to "look at people in wheelchairs"...what???? No, I'm not in a wheelchair but I'm trying to recover here so that's not really lifting my spirits. I swear some people just do not know how to give advice/compassion. I'm feeling what I'm feeling!!!
So just come here and we will cheer you up, I promise.

I'm glad to read your pain is less and your outlook is improving. It is a roller coaster ride of sorts. One day your mood is pretty good and pain isn't so much. The next day it's a complete opposite. Someone here will no why - but what really matters is it all levels out and you will be doing all the things you couldn't prior to your surgery and peace will come.

Just an update and some questions. Tomorrow is my 6 week anniversary. I didn't think I would still have so much pain. The cycle goes something like this: do the exercises and walk for a few days, have pain that is hard to manage, ie., tylenol 1000 mgs then wait 2 hrs in pain while icing on and off, then tramadol 50 mgs and sometimes I'm good but sometimes need an oxycodone 2 hrs after that, then I get discouraged, back off the exercises for too many (2-3) days, fight depression, then back to doing the exercises with the same cycle again. I'm tired from not getting a full night's sleep and in general feel like I'm just not doing well. I'm never doing enough exercises and I'm wondering if this is what is causing me pain. I guess I need a pep talk. I've got the THR blues bad. Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

I'd STOP the exercises. Give it a rest for at least a couple weeks, walking only, then see how you're feeling.
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Six weeks is still early into the healing process. Suffering with some discomfort / pain is not unusual. Many struggle with sleep issues early on and Post Op Blues also. Please know you're not alone. All of this is temporary and will ease with more time. I suggest you read the Post Op Blues article again and sleep when you're able even if it means napping for a time. Try to find things to do to occupy your mind and time when you're feeling down. Meet someone for lunch, dinner or coffee. Invite a friend or family member over for a visit, or phone a friend. Staying busy is key in my opinion.
Sending a hug with wishes for your comfort and peace of mind. You will get through this. :console2:
@TankGirl

I'm sending hugs to you too and echo the wise words of Layla. Am sending you hugs sweetie.

I'm still doing a lot of ice and elevation and pain meds and trying to keep up with the exercises and the walking but it's hard when I'm in pain and having depression. I must say that each day the pain gets less and my outlook is improving.
There's a lot going on in that sentence! We've all done it but the cycle of trying to push the recovery with exercises and walking which cause pain then icing and taking pain meds so we can exercise and walk can be counterproductive. I figured it out with my first THR that the exercise and walking can wait, being pain free was the goal of the THR. Doing less and resting more especially in the first 6 weeks worked best for me. Plenty of time later to exercise and walk when there's no pain from it.
All I can do is repost my previous post.

Take a few days of rest, you are pushing yourself then when you are in pain you get depressed. You are healing.
This is not something that happens fast or even on our terms no matter how much we push it.
There's no crime in a few rest days, short walks around the house or outside and take a nap, read a book.
If it hurts it's not helping your recovery.
All my best.

I'm never doing enough exercises and I'm wondering if this is what is causing me pain.
Hi @TankGirl , I had my surgery in June and it is just over 3 months now but I still get pain in the butt area and in the upper thigh area. On 14 August I walked too much and ended up having to rest up for a few days. Even on days when I do not do too much walking or standing, I could end up with hip and upper leg pain.
Right now it is almost 3am in Hong Kong (where I am) and I am plagued by anxiety over many things, the post-op pain being one. I kept a pretty detailed account of my progress in my thread, and it helps to look back and refresh my memory on what I could not do a few weeks back, and what pain meds I was taking then for pain and realise that I am on the slow and steady road to recovery.

I think at this early stage of your recovery, doing too much exercise when the body has not healed WILL cause pain, not the reverse.
Let you body heal first, just take it slow and steady and try to stay ahead of the pain, because when in pain after this sort of major surgery, excessive exercise is going to cause you pain.
Pain is your body telling you that something is wrong. Please give your bones and muscles sufficient time to heal properly. Strengthening can come later.

Hi Thanks so much for all the support. I had a follow-up appointment today, and the doc said I'm doing great! I did take the advice and backed off the exercises and the pain has been lessening by the day. I'm really encouraged today and not feeling so down. I walked the farthest I've ever walked today, so I'm proud of that and just getting a good report helped. I'm off all restrictions except no deep lunges lol no problem. Anyway, thanks again!

So glad to hear! I’m at the 7 month mark and still struggle from time to time. I think this takes a full year to heal completely so give yourself lots of time and be patient. You will have good days and great days and then some not so good days but you will get there!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well and you're enjoying life with your new hip.
Happy Autumn...I hope you have a nice one. :)
@TankGirl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom