Revision TKR TKR revision

Thank you all! I had a feeling this would be the answer but I keep hearing that I really need to work on the extension. I’m stretching it by hanging it over the edge of the bed - lying on my stomach and having the knee just off the edge. I only do 5-9 minutes each session so far. This is much less uncomfortable than propping my heel on something and stretching it that way (as in the pictures posted here on bonesmart). I just wanted to make sure there is no urgency. My doctor is worried that I won’t get to zero so maybe that’s why the pressure to hurry.

Wondering if anyone noticed a difference in your ability to walk correctly as your extension got better? Last time around for me, my gait was never close to normal. It feels much better now and seems to be even better at times when my extension is good and not too stiff.

I think that makes sense. When your extension is better you can walk with a longer stride, heel to toe. This feels much more natural than having a poor extension. I'm glad you're feeling the improvements.

I am going to have a revision surgery for exactly the same reason, Instability. My knees were never okay from the first day post TKA about 2 and half years ago. Painful to walk, painful even at rest when moving in my bed, and etc.
I have had Bilateral TKA and will need to do the same for both knees. Right knee first, and later the left knee. I hope I will do well. Wish you the same.

@BTKRmarch11 I’m sorry you’re going to have to go through this. I’ll be thinking about you and hoping you have a great outcome this time around. My experience has been so much better with this surgery and I hope yours will be, too. Let me know if you’re interested in details and I’ll be glad to tell you what my experience has been. When is your surgery?

What device are you using when you come to Bonesmart?

When I used to use my phone, I couldn't see the signatures unless I rotated the phone to horizontal.

The following screenshot is from my iPad, but it shows where the signature is, on everyone’s post.
D78BD3D7-4FED-4D98-ACC2-623E1724ADB0.jpeg

Has anyone used comfrey compresses for bone healing? A friend who dabbles in herbs told me today that it’s often used for that. I’m hoping to find some anecdotal, or other, information from someone who has experience with comfrey. I still have quite a bit of bone pain in my tibia. I would not use anything without clearing it with my surgeon first.

And another thing…does anyone have any info on recommended protein intake after TKR? My family doc recommended extra because of muscle rebuilding. I’m not sure what I should be shooting for daily.

Last edited:
Hi @agsmom. If you normally eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, you shouldn't need to make big changes. I had a Boost High Protein shake in addition to regular meals for the first few weeks after surgery.

My medical team shared the following recommendations after my knee replacements. (This is from HSS.edu.)
  • Increase your calcium intake to 1500 mg/day, especially if your surgery involves bones.
  • Be sure to consume 6-12 ounces of protein per day.
  • Eat well-balanced meals to lower the risk of infection after your surgery. Vitamin C, zinc, and vitamin A are especially important in preventing infections.
  • If you lose your appetite for a day or two after surgery, nutrient-rich drinks/shakes can help you get enough nutrients and calories (Carnation Instant Breakfast, Ensure, Boost and Sustacal are good choices).
With regards to comfrey -- I'd encourage to speak with your doctor before taking something that can affect the liver, especially at a time when you are taking medications for pain.

@eaglemom Hi, I have a question about your revision recovery. I’m still having a lot of tibial pain at times, mostly after increased activity. How long would you say it took for the pain to resolve for you? Just curious. I’m at six weeks post surgery today so still early days. I’m just curious how long others have had pain after a revision. I’m trying hard to remind myself that I’m still healing but I feel so good in so many other ways that it’s hard to remember at times.

Hi everyone, I am having a lot of pain as I increase my walking. I guess I’m over-doing it. How do I figure out a happy medium? [I know the answer, listen to my body, but I want some advice and encouragement!]

Yesterday was six weeks for me. I felt so good! My husband and I went for a drive and also had dinner out. I came home and walked down my steep but short driveway and did a nice lap around my cul d sac.

This morning I showered completely on my own, without a shower chair! I have been showering on my own for only a little over a week because I needed my husband to bring my walker for me to get out. After switching to the cane, I still needed the chair.

Late morning I had PT and it went well. After, lunch and Costco. I didn’t over do it at Costco - nice and slow and only the bare minimum of walking. Home to elevate and rest. Now it’s later evening and my leg hurts! Knee hurts some and feels swollen and tight but I have a good deal of tibial pain. When is this going to go away??

I know this is a slow process but I sometimes get so frustrated with the ups and downs. Combine that with the fact that I’ve really been recovering for eight months now, I want it to hurry up and get better already!

Thanks for reading my long rant. Hope you all sleep well tonight!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bonehenge
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom