THR I finally did it! I’m on the other side!

I cant believe it will be a week Friday since the surgery! I’m doing ok not a huge amount of pain. My leg is waking up and so are my bowels. Wish I could loose my apatite like a lot of folks here but it’s back too. Thought I might loose a little weight but I guess not ha ha.the thing I can’t get over is that I am no longer limping with that terrible arthritis pain. Wow!

Now, isn't that the truth?? No jagged, broken glass particles in that joint! It didn't take long for my posture to recover also.. it's such a great process. I'm so happy for you.
Sad to say that I gained weight in recovery. I was craving milkshakes.. lots of them. In fact since then I've noticed several members craved ice cream and milkshakes also.
Why can't we crave carrots??
Just remember it's early on in your recovery.. there will be days where it's a little tougher, but those days are normal, too. Not permanent, either. :ok:

Feeling kind of lousy today. I guess I should expect that. I feel so drained. I can barely keep my eyes open but can’t sleep either. I’m bored as can be.

@CricketHip I see your in PA too. As you can see by my screen name I am near Gettysburg. Husband and I love all things Civil War.

:hi:
It‘s not surprising that you’re feeling drained after major surgery and recovery certainly can be boring. I’m sorry you’re feeling so tired, but unable to sleep. Hopefully tonight brings some restorative rest. :yawn::sleep: Hang in there it will get better.
@Gettysburg

I wondered if that was your location! We took the Rv there last summer and absolutely loved it. We hope to return again to continue learning about that town and the battle that happened there..

I think I'm about a 2 hours drive from there, being in a suburb west of Philly.

Are you feeling any better today? You will have some of those days, sometimes several in a row but they will pass, plus they will become fewer and further apart.

@Gettysburg

Last edited:
@Gettysburg I am so happy to hear you are home and back with your puppies and hubby. It's those little things that really do count. Sounds like all in all you had a pretty easy time (compared to other stories I have read) and being home really does make a difference with healing.

My surgery is coming up on July 26th and I am a nervous nelly! I've had so many hip surgeries that you'd think I'd be at pro at this by now..ha!

Thank you again for sharing your story :)

@MyHipsDon'tLie

Thank you for your kind words. I’m doing ok but what I find the most challenging is the energy drain. The surgery it self was easy.i get frustrated because I need so much help. Being home it’s still hard but it familiar and you have your loved ones to comfort you when things get trying. I will be looking for your recovery story after the 26th. The very best of luck you will do just fine!

Hi CricketHip

Yes we love Gettysburg. I live about 14 miles from there We go quite often. I’m doing ok but get exhausted easily. I had a difficult time getting in and out of the shower. Comming out I whacked my incision on the metal of the shower door and almost went to the moon but it’s ok now. Thank you for asking. Will keep you all posted

Oh no! I bet you saw stars after the shower door assault! Post op exhaustion is the norm.. but I loved my frequent naps, with my ice paks.

Hopefully you like napping,too.. If you can, just embrace them. I hope you have a good weekend.

Had a pretty good day. I am finally taking my meds properly. I had been trying to go without the Vicodin every six hours and stretching it as far as I could but I think in doing so I just caused myself unnecessary pain. So now I am taking one every 6 to 8 hours and feel pretty good. I had a nap today on my non op side. Felt pretty good but still feeling the energy drain. One day at a time. I hope all of you who have had recent surgery are doing well

Oh my, you whacked your incision. That must have been frightening. Thank goodness you’re okay. Glad you‘re taking your meds as prescribed if you still need them. You really want to stay comfortably mobile. At only nine days post op, it’s very early into your recovery.

Good old energy drain....you're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping. Snooze away and enjoy! :yawn::sleep:
@Gettysburg

Really good day today! Minimal pain. So little in fact I havnt needed anything for pain yet and it’s 5:30 pm. Went for a ride to Gettysburg, had an ice cream and then came back home. Hope everyone is doing well.

Another good day, getting stronger but with one fly in the ointment. I’m having trouble getting into bed. Iv watched videos on how to but I’m heavy so it’s not easy. Any suggestions? … Besides loose weight? Haha!

Hi Gettys! Can you expand on what is giving you issues? Is it lifting your leg onto the bed?
Is your bed/mattress one of the taller styles?
I think one of of will be able to advise if we know a bit more.

For myself, I found that I needed to switch to the other side of the bed and I had a short bed rail that anchored underneath my mattress which helped a lot. But you may be having a different issue.

Hi CricketHip, I think my leg is still weak and the matress is a little high. May take time. Got my stitches out today, I’m feeling quite sore , I don’t know why. All part of the healing process I guess and definetly easier than dealing with arthritis pain.

I’m having trouble getting into bed.
If it’s easy for you to sit on the bed, but difficult to move toward the center of the bed and get situated / comfortable, you can try a garbage bag under your rear, removing friction and allowing you to slide easier. Then pull the bag out once you’ve reached the spot you want to be in.

The above trash bag trick made it so much easier to slide into bed. I also have the short bed rail which is very handy, especially for turning over onto that side.

My bed is too high, so I put a non skid, single step next to my bed. I step back onto the stool, grab the hand rail, sit onto the trash bag, scoot back, maybe twice, then swing both legs together onto the bed. I did practice this for a month before my surgery!

Thank you ! I will try these methods.

Gettysburg, how is it going getting into bed? I wonder if it’s getting any easier for you?

Last night, I found out just how helpful my bed cane/assist rail has been. It’s on the bed in our spare bedroom, where I’ve been sleeping. Well last night, due to a heat wave, I slept in the master bedroom, which is air conditioned. That bed doesn’t have the cane rail and I really missed it. It’s so handy for lowering myself down onto the bed, getting back up, and turning over.

Last edited:
@Gettysburg I also have a high bed, so I ordered a wooden step stool to use to get on the bed, from Amazon. The description is: “Wooden Step Stool for Adults - Very Sturdy, Bed Stool for High Beds, Kitchen, Bathroom, Closet, Great Wood Stool for Adults. Made Lightweight Quality Eco Pine, Attractive & Easy to Assemble (15).” It made getting on the bed much easier. It would have been nice to have for years, but I didn’t think about it until I really needed it.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks