THR In recovery land

@Poodle3 @Layla I have a pair of Kizik shoes, and I think the ease of putting on and removing is as depicted in the ads and on the website. I had to return the first pair and order 1/2 size up, as I think reviews have said others did. I have the all black Prague. I have a problem with one of my toes from an injury years ago, so I need a generous toe bed. The Prague works for that. The Prague has free returns.

I researched the Zeba before I purchased the Kizik. The Zeba costs more and, as I recall, has a steel shank in the heel. It is also heavier, and I do not think the styles are as versatile as the Kizik styles. As I recall, Zeba does not have free returns.

I have recently seen commercials for the Sketchers that are called Hands Free Slip-Ins and looked at them on the Sketchers website. They are priced about the same as the Kizik. One advantage for the Sketchers is that they can probably be tried on at a physical shoe store. If one enters ones email address and mobile phone number when the Sketchers website is first accessed, one is texted a code for 20% off ones first purchase. That’s a nice plus. If one follows the return policy on the website, one can print a return label for a free return.

Thank you.
My son raves about Hey Dudes. They are just ok for house shoes but not much else.
I too need that generous toe bed and wondered which size to order.

@Poodle3 You’re welcome.

My daughter and SIL both really like Hey Dudes. I have ordered two pairs that I had to send back because the toe bed is not deep enough to accommodate my problematic toe and the material is too harsh. Jennifer had a pair of Hey Dude slip-ones that she had only worn a couple of times, so she asked me to try them. They are made out of a fleece-like material and are great for my feet. I wear them and the Kiziks exclusively. Both Jennifer and I have tried to find more like them online, but apparently Hey Dude is not making them any longer. They have the same style, but not made of the fleece-like material.

For me the generous toe bed needs to be both wider and deeper than most shoes have. I may try a pair of Sketcher Hand Free Slip-Ons to see if they meet the criteria. It would be nice to have another pair of shoes that I can comfortably wear. I’ve been looking at the Sketchers, and I think the Kizik better meets my needs. But they may work very well for someone else.

Last edited:
I am 55 years old and used the cane up until 4 weeks. I think 11 days is absolutely unrealistic, whoever told you that needs to not give out advice like that, your bone has not even set into the stem yet and I certainly would not stress it yet. I have questioned if even me stopping using it is a good idea yet.
I think you have to look at it like it takes 6 to 8 weeks for the bone to grow in any movement has to move it even micros cant be good for it.
Even though I feel good I am trying to limit everything...I feel I could go up the stairs normally but I'm not even trying it I have come this far and using a cane (especially outside) for a few weeks is so worth not messing up something and having to start all over.. SLOW is the smartest recovery in my humble opinion.
You keep using that cane as long as it takes you will get there!

I agree and did not listen to her advice. I use my cane inside and outside for my short walks. I have my 2 week follow up on Tuesday and will mention what she said.

2 week visit. All looks good. I can drive as I’m not taking opioids and it’s my left hip. Not rushing to drive! I like being cleared just in case and may drive the few blocks to the farmers market on Saturday and see friends. It’s a small market. I intend to keep up my daily walking, icing and elevating. Oh, and I did express myself to the pt. It felt good. Not thinking I’ll do outside PT at this point.
Many miles to go but the first marker is behind me.

Hello all, I’m hoping for a reality check as my mind is working overtime in not a positive way. Since last night, 2 week post op during the day, I’ve experienced a lot more discomfort, in my butt area, and pretty much all over my left op leg. It worries me as I don’t know what I could have done to cause it. My walking is harder. No problems seen at post op. I’ve been icing and elevating and using my cane. My in home pt ends on Friday and I can start out patient if I want.
My left knee has been permanently bent because of long term limping. I’ve been trying to walk heel to toe and straighten my left leg/knee at every stride. I know recovery takes time but I don’t want to go backwards and fear I may be.
My precious pups come home in a week and I want to ready for them.
Feeling discouraged.

I'd tell you to relax and not get worried yet. Seems you've joined the early in recovery ODIC (over did it club).You're only 2 weeks, the swelling and stuff hasn't even finished. I joined ODIC week 2, reviewed the bonesmart recovery guide, reviewed others recovery stories and basically told myself week 3 was a redo of week 2 and I didn't do anything week 3 but rest, ankle pumps, heel slides and glute/leg isometric/contractions. I didn't get a cane till week 3 and used the walker through week 4/5.

You seem to be doing great... just don't overdo it.

Poodle 3
I am literally the energizer bunny...my husband once asked me if I was taking drugs and my friend said I was not human. I am younger than you and there was NO WAY I could have taken care of my dogs at 2 weeks. Now granted I have 7 dogs BUT you are only 2 weeks out, I had huge improvements from 2 weeks to 4, I am at 5 weeks and guess where I am right now...icing my leg because just feeding changing waterbowls in the evenings has exhausted my leg ...
You will get there but not in 2 weeks...:console2:
Just let the doggies hang around and nap with you
It WILL get better..takes slow time!

Feeling discouraged.
Hi @Poodle3 , sorry to hear you are in pain.

Please don't feel discouraged and try to remember that most of us who have had THRs go through this - I definitely had pain (deep somatic pain where the muscles, bones and ligaments were cut as well as nerve "nociceptor" pain) at the 2 to 3 week post op point, and was taking NSAIDs and other painkillers.
The encouraging news is that with healing these sensations decrease, which is what I experienced. But I still remember how worried I was at the first few weeks when I had pain and other symptoms (even though I knew what was happening) and came to this forum for comfort.

I took my pain meds, iced and elevated and it worked for me. This combination is still working for me (I still ice occasionally and although am cutting down on my pain meds, I am doing so gradually).

I believe in giving my muscles, bones, etc time to heal and not trying to do too much in the first couple of months of recovery.

Hello Poodle, I am sorry you're feeling discouraged. Possibly some movement that you engaged in during PT is the cause of the new pain you're experiencing. If that's the case, hopefully it will ease before you consider outpatient therapy. Keep in mind that hips normally don't need any exercise to get better. Our body is good at healing on it's own. The problem is, many don't allow healing to happen naturally and end up with various aches and pains.The best therapy is walking and even then not to excess.

There is a lot of re-adjusting going on with gait and any favoring of your op leg as your body is healing and adjusting to the new prosthetic. While any new discomfort or pain does concern us, I'm guessing with lots of TLC in the form of prescribed meds, rest, ice and elevation you"ll notice it ease. This, just in time for another odd pain or sensation to come along. :wink: At least that's how I felt. Hopefully you're already feeling a little better and today is brighter. Keep in touch, we"re here and we care. Hugs:friends:
@Poodle3

Ok, I’m crying as I read this. I just remembered that my surgeons PA recommended a hip flexor stretch which I tried at my appt then again last night. Didn’t help! Made it worse. Discerning who to believe is quite the job. I naively believed what she said. she’s the pro, right! Another lesson learned, I hope.
Funny doglover, my husband would always say to me, can’t you just sit down for a minute. My 16.5 year old and 7 month old have been easy. Bringing the 3 and 5 year old home ( 3 weeks 3 days post op) will be more challenging. I have my vet tech coming am and pm. I’ll take those two to their daycare twice a week. Will send out for grooming. I didn’t see this hip surgery coming. I saw this Wayne Dyer quote the other day. I sure relate.
“Peace is the process of training your mind to process life as it is rather than how you think it should be”. Not quite there yet!

So PT says, you’ll get better if you do your exercises and stay active. I guess it’s my job to balance with what activity does to me. The balance, right.

It is your body and you're the one that has to deal with the discomfort or pain. It is also only your choice, not ours, not PT's, not your surgeon's whether you continue PT. I believe taking cues from your body to be the best choice. If you take several days off, begin to feel better, start PT back up and become uncomfortable again, you'll have your answer.

I saw a sign outdoors as a pain clinic once and it read - "Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change". Only you can be the judge of what's tolerable, but I don't like the thought of you needlessly suffering. All things considered, I am sure you'll figure out what is best for you.

I’ve had the unrealistic thought that this recovery would be like my last one. It is not. Even this am I felt a little better so carefully swept the mud room. Didn’t feel good. I am backing off off my hip to settle down.

When doing stretches don't push a stretch, be very gentle and every day it will loosen more. I was the worst when it came to stretches and Yoga to do it until it hurt, it's counterproductive. That's not how it works it's all about gently stretching the muscles. It's a real slow go in recovery as the muscles and other soft tissue had so much trauma. Moving everything is good, just not too much and not too far too soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom