THR Holly's Hip

Hi @Clarice,
I have never been in the hopsital for anything. So like you I am scared of the trauma that has to take place during surgery but excited at the idea of being pain free after it all heals

It seems that we’re all relatively young. I’m 56. Here’s hoping that’s going to work to our advantage.

I am scared to say the least. I am a clinical pharmacist at a rehab hospital and see the worst scenario’s. I know I am seeing a subset that most don’t, but its hard not to take notice.

I believe my hip is bad because when I was 13 I had a slipped capital epiphysis on the other side. Over the years the compensation made my good leg the bad one. I will need the other hip done soon as well.

Hi HollyNY,

Looking forward to get moving again. I was wondering what your arthritic symptoms were. I really don’t have much groin pain, but have the majority of pain in my lateral hip near my buttocks. My Chiropractor seems to think it’s gluteal tendinopathy caused my overall hip dysfunction. Needless to say, I’m scared the pain will persist after the replacement.
I have the same worries with glute pain. I try to lay on pilates balls as often as I can but the relief is pretty short lived

I am 52 so yes we get the overachiever awards!

My left hip is normal. Right hip is not.

DNA is a weird thing!

@HollyNY

I moved your conversations out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

@Reefboy Feel free to start a pre op thread so we can get to know you better. :)

I have some loose fitting dresses once I get home but planned on pants or shorts for the hospital.
I had four loose, cotton slip-on dresses that I lived in for the first three weeks. (Old Navy) Also some loose capri pants.

I wore a slip-on dress to and from the hospital. It made dressing easy.

@HollyNY My daughter bought me some men’s “Croft & Barrow The Knit Sleep Pant” from Kohl’s after my first hip replacement. They have an expandable waistband, are brushed cotton, and are machine washable. I still wear them. Worn with a t-shirt not tucked in to cover the opening in the front, they look somewhat like workout pants but are not as heavy. The legs in the size I normally wear are full enough to accommodate a bit of swelling. I put on a t-shirt and jacket or chambray shirt with them and wear them most anywhere casual attire is appropriate.

@HollyNY Croft & Barrow is a Kohl’s private label, but you might find something similar at Penny's.

I didn’t have a CT scan before my surgery. i looked back in your posts and did not see it mentinned before. Do you know why a CT scan is being done?

I had only been in the hospital three times prior to July 19, 2021. I had a tonsillectomy when I was six years old (1949), a tubal ligation in the early 1980s, and a traumatic brain injury in December 2007 (no surgery), so I was a bit concerned about going into the hospital for my knee replacement. Everything went well, and it is worth it to be pain free after recovery. Absolutely.

The CT scan is used to make a 3D model of the hip, which is used for robotic hip replacement. The scan pics are downloaded into the computer and will show various markers or pins. Those allow the surgeon to identify certain landmarks and to get optimal size and placement of the implants.
It's really a marvel!

@HollyNY I had Mako robot assisted surgery last September. It went great, and recovery has been smooth and complication-free. I hope your outcome is as good as mine. I'd do it for the other hip in a heartbeat.

@subie2021 and @wander03 exactly.

I am having Robot Assisted Anterior Hip Replacement. Mine will be the MAKO robot as well.

The CT scan is used to program the robot for perfect alignment of the bionic parts.

The robot does not actually do the surgery (which would be kind of cool) but it tells the surgeon when things are in the precise locations.

We are seeing more and more members who are having Mako assisted surgery. Most are very happy with the results. I look forward to following your recovery.

Hello @HollyNY I too am in the Hudson Valley. I will have a surgery date decided this week but it will most likely be somewhere around your timeframe as well. Mine will be posterior.
Where are you having your surgery?

@Abbylayla
I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey in one of those threads. :flwrysmile:

Hi, @HollyNY and @Abbylayla -- Now we are three! I'm also in the Hudson Valley of NY (Woodstock) and have scheduled my surgery for September 29. Haven't started my Pre-op thread yet, but I'm glad we'll have each other for moral support and mutual whining. Once we have our new hips, I propose a walk on the Rail Trail!

I had my other hip done at Putnam Hospital and received great care there. This time, however, the doctor wants to do it at a new Surgery Center owned by his practice (Somers Orthopaedics) so I'll be crossing state lines and going to Danbury, Connecticut.

It is great that so many are getting great care.

The more choices the better

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom