THR Hi! Post THR recovery

Hello all , had a good conversation with my recently recruited lovely Physio.Thorough knowledgeable lengthy ( well as far as I know) examination ,which has put my mind at ease.
Recommended some simple Glute exercises as she feels this is the source of my recent problems.
With this information of course I attacked ( yea !!! I’m not done yet ) the gym on Monday to Thursday , of course I’ve done too much …..again and I’m suffering today ,’ Nicole ‘ is not too chuffed repeating the ‘ don’t expect me to be pushing you about in a wheelchair’ threat , she’s so caring and comforting,!
I am icing and it’s improving , so give it a rest this weekend.
Got another surprise NHS Physio on Monday , so will report back post.
Nothing much else happening over here in merry olde England !!!
Good luck everyone and speedy recovery.

Oh dear - sounds like you over did it! Ease into any new activity. No attacking needed. And you might try alternate days instead of everyday.

We are supposed to have high temperatures in the coming days. Hope you can use that as an excuse to rest!

Good morning Hipsters , hope there are not too many problems today , had a physio appt yday , she completed a thorough examination and read x Ray notes and everything with the new hip looks and feels fine. She has advised me to rest a while until current flare up has become easier.
Was suprised to hear her say that if there is no improvement soon , she could refer me back to the surgeon and didnt recommend an injection ( and no I don’t want one )
So I’m taking it easy , but still experiencing very sharp pain top / front of new hip .
It has come to me belatedly ( naively) that having a new hip isn’t like changing the tyre on your car , I have to admit I realised it wasn’t a walk ( limp ) in the park ,but the complications of muscle and fibre repair never dawned on me.I really thought by now I would be back to ‘normal’. Don’t get me wrong I now accept that anything strenuous is going to create other problems for a while yet and I will have to tailor my exercise to suit .
It’s fair to say I’m thinking I’ve been sold a puppy or was that me just ignoring the small print?
Any roads still undecided whether to stick or twist with the stretching and exercise, I suppose if it hurts lay off ,,,,unfortunately.
Whinge over ,at least I’m still very very good looking for a 69 y old and in good health ( apart from the Parkys ) gammy new hip , oh and going bald (well ) but apart from that !!!
Have a boss day moaning hippys ,love you all.

JW, you are so endearing. I wish I could magically make you feel better. I’m glad you’re resting until the flare up settles. Pushing through pain or discomfort can’t possibly help the situation. Your patience and ongoing support of others here as you continue healing is admirable. I enjoy your humor and take you at your word that you’re very, very good looking. Likely the best looking, balding, 69 yr old in Manchester! :wink:
Have a great week and stay in touch.
@JohnWilky

Apologies folks mithering misery here again.
Can the forum explain this , my recent well documented set back I rested a few days , but my impatience got the better and I did a fairly strenuous gym session , bike , CT and leg weights , low and behold the pain when stepping has improved dramatically, not gone by any means , but miles better.
No idea why this should happen , is it luck ? Or Is it as I think of it , some kind of muscle release ? and should I continue gradually with the exercise.

On a separate issue , I am amazed how our American friends on here how knowledgeable they are about their respective ops, procedures , meds and more .Here in UK ( well for me ) have almost no education regarding our particular surgery , in fact I couldn’t say 100% what approach I received, of course I’ve googled and guess it’s a posterior.

Not that it makes much difference I suppose , it is what it is , sorry ….going swimming.

Good luck everyone.

I did a fairly strenuous gym session , bike , CT and leg weights , low and behold the pain when stepping has improved dramatically, not gone by any means , but miles better.
Who knows??? Sometimes I am in pain and thinking I should stay put and rest and then I go for a mile walk and I am so much better! Then other times I am in pain and I go for a walk and by the time the walk is done I am in more pain!! These muscles have a mind of their own!!! Its so frustrating! But glad you are feeling better!

I guess it’s about finding that perfect balance for you, JW. At least you’re feeling better, instead of worse. That’s awesome!
should I continue gradually with the exercise.
Take it slow, see how your body reacts afterward and how you feel the next day, if you’re not dealing with pain, try slowly increase the activity.

I don’t know how it works in the UK, but here in the states, we can request copies of our medical files / notes, for our personal records at home. All I did was make the request, sign a form and within a week I received copies in the mail of my orthopedic office visits and the surgery notes by the surgeon. It’s interesting and enlightening, shedding light on the entire procedure.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

All of this info is available for me on line in my HSSpatient portal, everything from x rays to operative notes from anesthesiologist and surgeon, test results and analysis, responses to me from nursing staff when I called with questions. It’s pretty great to have it all in one place.

Hard to say why your muscles reacted the way they did. But it's good news that the stiffness eased. It may take some time before all this stiffness eases completely. Much of it depends on how long you limped around prior to surgery. Muscles atrophy pre-op. When asked to function they complain!
I am amazed how our American friends on here how knowledgeable they are about their respective ops, procedures , meds and more
Just a different system/approach. Having lived in both the US and UK I can confirm that the norm in the US is participation in your own healthcare. My approach has always been to research the heck out of any procedure I am facing. It just gives me an extra level of comfort. But I do agree, here in the UK this isn't the norm. The consultant tells you what is needed and most people just trust that there will be a positive outcome. I demanded 3 separate appointments with my spinal surgeon before having the op. In the end he just laughed and helped me work through my list of questions.

Cheers J , just to let the forum know ,I played football Saturday!!!! Don’t tell Mistress Wilky …..and felt fine , inc day after .
It’s all up and downs , for the time being, thxs Bsmart for being so patient even to a ‘ tool ‘ like my good self.
Oh for info I was superb.

Good luck all you moaning gets .

Of course you were superb, I’d expect nothing less of you. :heehee:
Mrs Wilky only has your best interests at heart, ya lovable loon. She doesn’t want you hurt.

You’re right, recovery has it’s ups / downs and the key is to finding the perfect balance for you. I hope you had fun and I wish you a wonderful week! Stay cool over there, we’ve been hearing on the news about how sweltering it is in the UK. Heat wave here also. I’ve almost had enough and am dreaming of Fall.
Take Good Care! :)
@JohnWilky

I played football Saturday!!!! Don’t tell Mistress Wilky

:flabber: Oh my stars!!!
Admittedly, I'm the resident Cassandra, but I do worry.

If I had Mrs. Wilky's phone number, I would So tell on you.
:) :-) (:
Oh for info I was superb
No doubt in my mind, my friend.
Glad you had fun.

Am I correct that by playing football, that’s it’s soccer? I worked with a client with Parkinson’s (from England). He called it “kickin the footy”
Well, regardless of the name, So haapy you got to enjoy something that you clearly love doing!

Latest whinge from king of whinging , had a further physio appointment she believes I have a problem with my gammy new hip side glute.I am up and down regarding the condition , almost always if I overdo things I suffer.Strangely a session on the bike or CT seems to ease things ( very painful top of hip / outside )
Back to physio opinion , she says my left glute is NOT being triggered and all the tasks are worked by my other areas , hammy, lower back , quad etc , she has advised several stretching exercises to trigger the problem glute which I find tricky ,nay almost impossible to achieve.
Icing and heat seem to also ease the pain.I really did overdo matters last week on a short family break which involved walking a coastal path with all its strenuous ups and downs.
I know rest will be the sensible solution, I’m 69 though times running out !! Hehe, I’m wondering if my shaking Steven’s diagnosis is adding to the blooming problems , although the quack said no.
For info , was fine pre hol , well ok ! Yday tried walking out with Nicole and when I planted my foot in a downward direction I had whinging pain , on the up slope it eased off , strange , and I’m not exaggerating the angle I mean just a couple of degrees , on a normal footpath . Went to gym and was able to exercise bike and ct without too much aggravation and found it easier,but still not right.
Apologies for the complicated summary, I will update ( bore folk to death) ,good luck to everyone with their particular situations hoping that they have a winning formula,
try to see it my way ,we can work it out , life is very short !!!!
Have a great day everybody .

Whine all you want, we're here for you always, JW. I only wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better.
I guess your best bet is to go with the Physio"s theory for now, unless you come up with a better plan of action. I am sorry you overdid it last week in an effort to enjoy family time. Rest should help, just as you mentioned. I do always wonder if the Parkinson"s is contributing in any way. I guess all you can do is trust your doctors thoughts on this unless you're willing to seek a second opinion. Wishing you speedy relief from the misstep yesterday. Go slow and enjoy the rest of the week. Thanks for stopping by! :wave:
@JohnWilky

Latest …. Struggling this week ( March 2021 THR ) so what’s , cue fingers ,that 18 month in. The very recent diagnosis is that I have Gluteal Amnesia , so having read Googled ( and now I’m an expert of course) that my left side glute just ain’t triggering . Hence when exercising I suspect I’m overworking all the connected muscles , lower back , quads, hammys, knee etc consequently post session all those areas are painful to the point I’m limping quite badly .
So have been advised to ‘ attempt’ to exercise my sleeping glute to start working to offload . Trouble is I’m finding it difficult/ impossible to work the offending glute muscle without putting pressure on those other areas and the subsequent trouble post exercise.
Is it possible that there is nerve/ post surgery damage ? Is there anyone out there hip World experienced similar and if so suggest a fix.
There is a plethora of info on the net , but nothing that I can find defines my personal symptoms.
Hope that fellow hippys can help.
Good luck to all recent post surgery folk , take it nice and easy .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom