THR In recovery land

Poodle3

Country
United States United States
Goal one accomplished. Woke up from surgery alive!! And clear headed. I didn’t want or need anything for sedation before going into OR and getting the spinal.
hospital at 6:30am. Out of surgery at 10am. Now comfortable in my room. Spinal has worn off. Lots of nausea which has abated for for the moment. Took my first walk with PT. Staying the night. So far so good. My son left about an hour ago and I’m watching mindless tv. So happy surgery is behind. This forum prepared me for some much. I have no illusions about pain. Comfortable now but will prepare myself for whatever tonight or tomorrow brings.

Attachments

• 7062985B-5B68-4863-8F8B-DD5C12CB2530.jpeg
    7062985B-5B68-4863-8F8B-DD5C12CB2530.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 94
Aww cute! Look at you…smiling with your new hip and your turkey sandwich. :)
Sorry you had to deal with some nausea. Hopefully it’s passed for good. I was also so happy to wake from surgery and realize it was finally over! I hope they keep your pain under control and you have a good night. Wishing you lots of comfort as you begin to heal.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Poodles You look like you came through surgery in great spirits. That is definitely a plus. And now, as you well know, the recovery journey begins. Onward and upward!

Good to see you on the Recovery Side.:yes!:
Healing vibes coming your way.

Thank you all for your good wishes. Sleeping came in spurts but I did manage some sleep on my non-operated side. Saw my surgeon and am scheduled to go home today. Yes, I know it will be a long journey but I’ve started. No illusions but hopeful for a better future.
Kathy

Sleeping on your side already! Lucky you!

I also was given a turkey sandwich, an applesauce cup, a yogurt cup and a ginger ale, all of which I ate with gusto! I had no nausea until I got home.

You look so happy!

Safe travels home! We’ll be here when you feel like updating. We’ll be watching for you.
Hugs :)
@Poodle3

Waiting for my son to pick me up.
I looked so happy in the photo because I was so relieved that the surgery part was over!!! I didn’t realize how much stress I was carrying.
My daughter in law has pneumonia so my wonderful pet sitter will be staying overnight with me for a few days!
Will update when I see what life at home looks like.
Kathy

So good to be home. Had a turkey burger for dinner. I managed side sleeping again. @Boofit I remember your post about using pillows to simulate a recliner. Very helpful when I needed to change positions. Im managing to get in and out of bed for the numerous trips to the bathroom! I was going to try a Norco today but with nausea and headache decided not to. How did you all manage nausea? So far Tylenol is managing pain. Elevating and icing and some walks around the house are my work for today. Got a shower before I left the hospital. yay! My short term goal is to get to Friday. A few days will hopefully get me oriented to a home routine.

Oh, how your first post brings back memories.. you pretty much described my first THR experience.
Even down to the mindless t.v.

Congrats on your shiny new hip! So happy for you and yes, the stress we carry going into this surgery can be extreme and we don't really realize it until it's over.
I was downright giddy afterwards!

As for nausea.. I was lucky enough to be able to manage mine with ginger ale. Would you consider calling your OS office? I think there are medications they could prescribe to help you if it is persistent, which it sounds like it is.

I was prescribed zofran for nausea while I took Dilaudid. I still had pretty constant, but fairly mild, nausea for 2 to 3 weeks. Along with everything tasting and smelling so awful.

A couple of crackers, along with Gatorade helped my nausea. So did regular small meals containing protein. And sipping protein box drinks. Sucking on hard peppermint candy and ginger candy.

I was able to discontinue the Dilaudid after 13 days, and those symptoms, along with the dreaded constipation, slowly dwindled. I only actually threw up one time, thank goodness.

I really hope your nausea goes away soon!

I’ll get the zofran hopefully today. Your other suggestions sound good too. I’m only on Tylenol and my pain at this point is manageable. I had pretty good rest last night which gives a brighter outlook and makes all problem solving a bit less burdensome. I came into this hip surgery with little to no expectations except knowing from the last time it will get better. We need a BoneSmart tshirt “ ice is my new best friend”
Appreciate you all

@Poodle3 Put me down for a size large BoneSmart “Ice is my new best friend” t-shirt.

I was prescribed Ondansetron ODT for nausea after both hip replacements. I was fortunate in that I did not have nausea either time, so I have two unopened prescriptions. If I had realized what the prescription was for the second time, I could have saved some money. But I just picked up everything prescribed from the pharmacy. The suggestions you have been given sound very good. I’m sure you will be through this phase in short order.

I like your attitude of one day at a time. I think that is helpful in appreciating the sometimes seemingly small but incremental progress we make as we recover.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom