Standard Shoulder Replacement tazzy13's Recovery Thread

Had to say goodbye to a dear friend, they came and picked up the cpm chair, lol, now I will have to do the work on my own. I can do this. Everyone have a fun and safe holiday. Take care and stay safe.

At therapy today they did some measurements my Aarm is at 140 degrees,and is at 132, and ER is 90 degrees, therapist is amazed at 5 weeks out how much I have already. Yea me.

Not much going on,I’ve decided to only do therapy once a week until my incision totally heals up, almost there, should only need to pack it for another week. Doctor said she is amazed at my range of motion just need to wait till I’m 12 weeks out to start strengthening. Can’t wait. Take care and stay safe.

Had my 3 month check up today, no more going to therapy will continue strengthening at home, follow up in 6 weeks to see how I’m doing. Hope everyone is recovering well. Stay safe and take care. My range of motion is past what was expected. Yea me.

Thank You everyone. Now just need to work on strengthening.

just need to work on strengthening.
Just be patient! Don't forget, you were probably not using that shoulder fully for many years. It may take awhile to build up strength. All the best!

Yay! So glad you've graduated @tazzy13 ! Don't rush things but also keep in mind that you'll continue to see improvements over time. As we age, it takes longer to regain the strength and muscle that we've lot thru inactivity. I had to take 4 weeks off lifting recently due to a wrist injury in an auto accident. It's been almost 2 months now since I've started back and I'm still not close to where I was before the accident.

I hope all else is well with you!

Been having some issues with the shoulder, it feels like it wants to pop out the front, had some X-rays done then they ordered a ultrasound if what I’m reading is what they think,looks like I might need surgery, it showed full thickness tear of the subscapularis tendon along with a few other things, will see the surgeon on Monday will have more knowledge of what is going on. Take care and stay safe.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Does it indicate the % tear or the grade of the tear? I'm not sure how large a tear of that rotator cuff tendon requires surgery (apparently the supraspinatus (which I tore big time) and the infraspinatus (which I tore a bit) are the more common rotator cuff tears. Did it indicate any issues with bicep tendon? I had a tear to that and they just completely released the "long head" of the biceps tendon.

I do hope it will either heal on its own or can be easily repaired! Please let us know what your surgeon says (there's always a danger of us overthinking things when we read the MRI reports).

@SaraK , surgeon said surgery,ASAP, So she had me scheduled on November 29th. But got a call today and will be having it on November 3rd. Instead, she is canceling clinic that day to do my surgery. Will let you know how it goes when I’m up to it. Take care and stay safe.

I'm glad you won't have to wait long @tazzy13 - great to have a surgeon that makes sure her patients are taken care of! Are they going to repair the rotator cuff or convert to a reverse shoulder replacement?

@SaraK , she is hoping to be able to repair it, if it’s not repairable she will revert to a reverse replacement. Take care and stay safe.

@tazzy13 .... so sorry you need additional shoulder surgery, but hopefully a repair will be possible. It sounds like you have a good surgeon, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that the tear is not too bad. Be sure to really baby your shoulder between now and then and let us know how things go.

With my shoulder replacement, the sub-scapularis muscle was extremely shortened from years of having a bad shoulder. My surgeon reattached it, but told me it was so tight that he was seriously concerned about it pulling loose from the bone. He warned me to be extremely careful for the first 6 weeks of recovery because of this. So, depending on what your surgeon has to do, you may need to keep your arm immobile for a while after a repair. In my case it paid off and everything healed well. So I hope the same for you.

@Jamie ,she told me if it’s repairable it will be 6 weeks in the bolster sling, if she needs to convert to a reverse replacement it will be 4 weeks in the sling. Less then 2 weeks and we will find out. My surgeon is on of the ortho doctor for the Detroit Pistons, she was also the doctor for Detroit Red Wings, so I feel she is good to go.Thank You.

That all makes sense and it sounds like you're in good hands. :thumb:

Surgery tomorrow be there at 8:30, surgery at 10:30, will let you all know how it goes when I can. Take care and stay safe.

Well wasn’t repairable so she had to do a reverse replacement,luckily the stem was able to stay in and she only had to take out the socket which gave her some problems but once she cut it in half she was able to get it done.not sure what all she did in there. But will let find out when I see her next week.take care and stay safe

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom