TKR Problems Post TKR Recovery

Bailee

Country
United States United States
Hi! I am 15 weeks post RTKR and woukd like to gain perspective on why still have patella and lateral pain. Also, after overdoing it, pulling weeds and cutting branches, etc, and definitely in pain today…any suggestions on dealing with this and when I can jump off the “1 step forward and 2 back” in my recovery. Thanks so much!

Hi and Welcome!

This recovery does take about a year, so you have a while yet before you can jump off the “1 step forward and 2 back”. You have to pace yourself and listen to how your knee reacts to activity. It’s best if you try to keep the knee happy, becuase if you push the knee, it’s going to push back, and the knee will always win.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Please tell us your surgery date and we’ll make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

A joint replacement's rehab is different than a sport's injury recovery. Your TKR should be treated gently, without any forceful painful movements. Pain only slows down recovery. Your knee had a very traumatic surgery which takes an average of a year to recover completely from. Sure, you'll feel lots better before then, but that's when you have to be careful to not overdo it. That will cause a setback. Remember, no pain=more gain in healing!

Thanks…I think I was too eager to get back to normal! Will think “no pain…more gain in healing.
I have another post recovery question: I can go down stairs well but have pain going up. I have gone back to one step at a time…would you agree this is a goo solution or should I try several steps normally and several one step at a time? Thanks!

after overdoing it, pulling weeds and cutting branches, etc, and definitely in pain today…any suggestions on dealing with this and when I can jump off the “1 step forward and 2 back” in my recovery.
Welcome to the ODIC (overdid it club) @Bailee :wave:

We've all been there. What you are experiencing is normal. We start to feel better and go gung-ho back to normal activities only to have The Knee tell us "NO!" very firmly. As @Jockette said, this is a year long recovery, so you are only about 1/3 of the way through it.

I just celebrated my 9-month knee-versary and, most days, feel as though I am almost fully healed. But it took months of frustration and disappointment.

To help me get through, I kept a running (weekly at first, monthly later) record of my progress -- things I was now able to do that I couldn't do pre-surgery, along with a list of things I still wanted to achieve. As the first list grew longer, the second one got shorter and I could really see that I was making progress. It was a great mood-booster on the days that pain and swelling got me down.

I love the running list…will have to start one! I still think back on what it was like pre TKR…clunky brace and a lot of pain! A list would help me realize progresss even if it is in baby steps!!
I was doing pretty well until I needed to use steps (didn’t need to previously)…whole new scenario!
Thanks for advice!!

Thanks again for post TKR advice! I have another question that I need help with: after TKR I have developed pain in the lower back especially on the side of the knee replacement. It is especially bad after going up stairs or any incline while walking and upon getting up from a seated position. I use a heating pad and do back stretches. I am worried as I had back surgery 5 years ago and was pain free until my TKR. Should I do additional pt, go to a pain doc?? Not sure of next step to take…thanks!

Sometimes as we're re-learning our walks after surgery other things get thrown out of whack. The heating pad and gentle stretches seem reasonable. It might not be a bad idea to see a PT who knows about both your back condition and tkrs so they can know what mechanism might be the cause of your pain and so which exercises would be most appropriate.

@Bailee,

Thank you so much for starting your thread! I too spent many months in mobility limiting pain prior to surgery that when I started PT & the swelling hit (PT also pulled hamstrings)-my initial bounce up from surgery took a nosedive like a fishing eagle & my recovery fantasy went "POP".
I apparently assumed that the 'post-op' swelling was limited to just the incision area?! I also forgot that; while they didn't have a choice, the other joint/disk degenerations in my body hadnt agreed to compensate for my left knee to just be out of the game completely so if we have those going in they're likely to be a lil bit delicate!

When PT pulled my hamstring- it sucessfully set off the entire gluteal nerve compartment in my hip&I had severe sciatic pain for like 2 weeks. My right shoulder also decided at the same time to develop bursitis-in a few sleep deprived moments during my 3rd&4th weeks I actually feared Id turned on another auto-immune disease&ruined my whole body trying to fix it!
Your further along than I am, but I am now aware of the harsh reality of that childhood song about the bones all being connected & I'm sure I'll tick off another one of them again!
A few members have developed different but similar, rebound(?) type musculoskeletal issues as well- they're scattered throughout the forums&very helpful!

Id definitely go see someone, at least get it documented and noted.
The body tries to spread the impact of one deficiency out to other areas in its constant effort to maintain homeostasis&depending how severe or long your impairments were prior to surgery the additional burden may have left a physiological mark. Empowering yourself with awarened of any changes that may have occurred to your back in this process is better than a sneak blow out!

@benne68,
ohhh, if there's an ODIC I think I need to join,buy a jacket and get the tattoo!

I have already done this twice....I felt the need to install our new A/C myself & then spent four hours cleaning my house one day...each one sucked my energy out of the day after.

Is there an energy lending department I can join too? LOL! I suppose there would-rightfully-be a clause about members of the ODIC are exempt from lending qualification until they have proven the ability to abstain from ODing it!
Haha!
*Humor is my coping mechanism*

Bionic Mom

Same thing here, Ltkr - May 11. 7 weeks and my recovery is going great. However, when relearning to walk, I have gone through pain in my right hip ( bilateral thr 10/20) and lower back (laminectemy 10/15). At times it lasts a few days then passes. It was much more frequent when I started walking and doing PT. Both legs had been bowed for a long time so i know that my gait has definitely changed. For me, it comes and goes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back