THR Sandy's Recovery Thread

There should be a thread on this in the Community Area.
Inventive Ways to Accomplish Chores in the Early Days of Recovery
(for laughs also)

It‘s pretty pathetic, also hilarious, when we have to hone skills such as trying to toboggan laundry down the stairs ahead of us.
Oh, Klassy…that’s a good one! :rotfl:

Both great ideas, ladies to “get er done”

I guess that's one benefit to getting my hips done at a young age - I still have little ones that I can conscript into chores (though I have to be very specific with my instructions).
Agreed! Yet my youngest is a teen so she actually does the laundry … eventually :heehee: I do need to remind her to change it over and bring it up! It is nice though that she is still here and helping. Although being a teen when she is not in school sleeps late … how does the saying go ? Necessity is the mother of invention?

Good morning all,
Today is my 4 month anniversary.
I'm happy to report life is getting back to normal, can do just about everything I was doing with a few exceptions like putting socks and shoes on but I'm finding I can bend a lot further now than previously.
Still not walking any dogs but going to dog rescue and helping out as much as I possibly can.
Because my hip surgery was from an accident I didn't have time to plan out my post op days let alone have my surgery here at home.
I do believe the fact that I walked around for 2 weeks with some sort of a fracture that finally just gave way could have hindered my recovery time but I'll never know that for sure.
I remember PT in hospital telling me "whatever you were doing 30 days ago you will be doing in 30 days." Encouraging words but not realistic.
So thank goodness I found this site and all of the "hippie" friends I've been lucky to know and communicate with.
I had several dark days but always turned to this forum for support.
I have a wonderful man in my life for last 18 years and could never have come as far as I have w/o him but if you've never broken something and had to have surgery and then recover you just don't know what it feels like emotionally let alone your physical restrictions.
So thank you one and all.

Happy Four Month Anniversary! Thank you for sharing such a lovely update. It’s good to read of your progress. We’re happy you joined us here and that the support you received from other members brought you comfort through some dark days. It sounds like you have a loving partner and caregiver to be grateful for.
I remember PT in hospital telling me "whatever you were doing 30 days ago you will be doing in 30 days." Encouraging words but not realistic.
I agree, extremely unrealistic and very misleading.

Wishing you all the best as you continue healing, hopefully this isn’t good bye, I enjoy your posts and updates! Thanks for your contributions here. :)

Good morning
Stopped counting post op weeks but guess I'm around 19???
We are flying to Texas tomorrow to visit my son and his family, he purchased the tickets for me as Mother's Day gift. Looking forward to seeing all of them last time we saw each other was Christmas.
4 hour flight...ugh, but I have loose dress I'm wearing and hoping I'm not stiff when I arrive.
I'll get up and move around on the plane as much as I can w/o being a nuisance.
I'll also walk around airport before we board, it's about a 7 hour hit when you figure drive to airport and then having to arrive 2 hours ahead of time.
No plans while there, we've been to Texas many times over last 20 years but my wonderful partner will help my son with some landscaping and I will cook with my grand daughters. They have their menu items already selected, they are 17 & 20 and 17 year old really likes to cook.
They have gorgeous home and yard, screened in large covered porch and pool so I'm looking forward to some pool time for the hip.
Recovery continues, feeling stronger for sure.

:mcoffee: Good morning @myglasshalffull
I sure do love your Username.:) :-) (:
So good to have reminders to be grateful for the good things.

Im sure the travel part won't be the fun part, but how sweet is that Mother's Day gift..:roseshwr:

I certainly dealt with alot of stiffness still at 4 months after alot of sitting, but I hope it wont be too bad and that you make some great memories with your grands!

Have a great time! I know the traveling will be a bit of a challenge but I think at 4 months you won't be anything but a little stiff hopefully. The pool and the yard sounds lovely but the cooking with the granddaughters sounds even better. Enjoy! Let us know how you got on though!

@myglasshalffull nice update, hope the trip tomorrow doesn't tire you out too much. Hope you packed some shorts and stuff, we've been pretty hot down here already this year. Enjoy your time with family! :wave:

Just a quick check in to let you know the travel day went just fine.
We are enjoying our visit.
And Layla, our dog rescue is bringing in about 40 dogs on 7/16 and one is named Layla!!!
I'll up date everyone when I get home, in the meantime I do check in everyday to see how we are all doing.
Stay well everyone!

Aww…time with family in Texas and cooking with your granddaughters, it sounds fun!
It’s good you made it safely and travel went off without a hitch.

A dog named, Layla, lol. I hope she’s good and not a misbehaving nuisance :doggie:

Enjoy your trip and wishing you safe travels back home.
@myglasshalffull

What kind of dogs?? I keep thinking I may be ready for another one but then again I don't think my hip is ready for a puppy. I just miss having a dog in the house so so much. Sigh maybe soon.

I am happy you made it without any discomfort. I hope you enjoy your trip. Glad you didn't experience any delays or cancellations either. Enjoy the cooking too!

We arrived home yesterday no travel issues and my hip was none the worse for wear. Easing back into my first day home with a cup of coffee, already filled the bird feeders, they were w/o seeds for the duration so they were quite noisy this AM.
Snoopy we have many different types of dogs, big, small and in between, pups as well as older ones.
Yesterday when we arrived at the airport our departure gate was D22, then it got switched to D1!!! 5,000 steps later we were at D1, good exercise before having to sit on plane for 3 1/2 hours.
Great visit, happy to be home as well.
Other than that my recovery is still on track, walking more and sitting less. Taking over chores from my partner a little at a time and it feels good.
Hope all USA enjoyed a happy and safe 4th.

Happy Saturday morning,
Yay, 5 month anniversary today!
Heading out to Petsmart in a little while for dog adoption day. I usually take the dogs off transport and walk them before we bring them into the store but not walking dogs quite yet so today I am the photographer. As each dog gets adopted there's a large sign we hang with our rescue's name on it and an erase board where we put the dogs name and it says, "Fluffy found her forever home today" So cute, I sometimes cry just a little when they leave. They've been through so much, how I wish I could tell them their future is now bright.
But enough about that.
I had my yearly physical on Thursday, good for another 30,000 miles! LOL! I love my doctor, she's no nonsense.
I go back to OS end of the month. Pretty sure I'll be discharged as long as X-Rays look good. The small fracture that was still present after my surgery seems to be healed. Had to be on light weight bearing for 4 weeks which really was annoying but I did it and guess it helped. Now walking and doing everything I need to do. In morning my walking is right on, perfect, I do get a little stiff later in the day and when I sit for too long I grab the cane to stabilize before I take my first step. Better safe than sorry as my OS's voice rings in my head..."don't fall"
Tomorrow is David's grandson's 6th birthday! Big party, 70 guests. I made 10 lbs potato salad and we ordered a bunch of pizza chips and calzones to bring as well. His daughter goes all out, exotic animal show for the kids.
So busy weekend!!!
Stay safe and well everyone.

:hi: Happy Saturday!
Wow, it sounds like you have a fun day and exciting weekend planned.
You‘re doing so well. Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend.
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
@myglasshalffull

Happy 5 month anniversary! It sounds like you are just about mended now. 70 guests for a 6 year old’s birthday party, wow! Wishing you all a fabulous time.

Dog adoption day must be lovely, but also bittersweet to say goodbye. It won’t be long now until you can step out again for dog walks. I have a little bit of doggy news myself, will put on my thread.

Good morning,
Just returned from my orthopedic check up, Xrays, etc. Hip has healed well, new bone growth all around implant and the fracture also has healed and she said I dodged a bullet not needing more surgery. 4 weeks light weight bearing was no fun and definitely slowed my progress but it paid off in the end.
She said unless I have issues she doesn't need to see me again for a year. Yay!
I had a list of questions which she answered. Kneeling...go right ahead. Boat...yes Swimming...yes
She said only thing she doesn't want me doing is running or jumping as in aerobics.
So I'm back home doing some cooking and laundry and all seems right with the world today.
Hope everyone has a good day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks