THR New to forum and having surgery on 7/8

@Layla that foam triangle thing is the absolute worst. I used it last time, and will again because my surgeon says so, but I'll be very annoyed about it

Ha-ha, Joe. I can imagine. I feel sorry for you having to use that. It’s really amazing how surgeon’s differ so widely in their thoughts and protocol. When I had my pre-op meeting, or joint camp as some call it, the nurse I met with was laughing about how they used to recommend the use of this bulky triangular cushion between your legs, meaning one of those. Now that was five years ago! With any luck you don’t have to use that cushion for too long. I feel it would really hinder my sleep.
I hope you have a nice weekend, Joe!
@JoeKnows

@Layla that foam triangle thing is the absolute worst. I used it last time, and will again because my surgeon says so, but I'll be very annoyed about it

@JoeKnows I think that I might actually need this leg contraption as awful as it sounds! When @Layla posted a picture of the wedge, I'm thinking, okay maybe.

I tried the leg pillow again last night. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. this morning and the pillow was next to my head. Didn't move it where it was supposed to go. I fall back to sleep and wake up at 6:30 a.m. and the leg pillow in on my night stand :chinstroke:The first night, three days ago, it ended up on the floor. The leg pillow will probably be in my shower tomorrow morning :snork:

@Joe33426 yeah I understand. Right now I need a knee pillow to fall asleep, but then I'll kick it to weird places and wake up because my hip and low back are killing me. The foam triangle thing (coupled with a pillow behind the knees) worked okay for me, just super restricting which I despise.

In the long run, a few weeks of discomfort and annoyance are a small price to pay to be able to, you know, walk without pain.

I have a manual recliner that I put 4 bricks under the legs to raise it to the back of my Kness, I have practice getting up and out of it by placing my hands on the arms and lowering myself down and then using my good leg to slowly recline to the half position and then straight back. (No bending pass 90 degrees) I do the same movement to get back to my feet by pushing my good leg and arms straight up from the recliner it seems to work, I also have borrowed toilet raiser and shower chair, but I have also practice using two walking canes to lower and raises myself from the toilet, both the manual recliner and the two walking canes will require you to have some lower and upper strength, I also brought two leg pillows just encase I need to sleep in the bed, I have read so much of everyone else forums I believe I am ready, Be bless

I have a manual recliner that I put 4 bricks under the legs to raise it to the back of my Kness, I have practice getting up and out of it by placing my hands on the arms and lowering myself down and then using my good leg to slowly recline to the half position and then straight back. (No bending pass 90 degrees) I do the same movement to get back to my feet by pushing my good leg and arms straight up from the recliner it seems to work, I also have borrowed toilet raiser and shower chair, but I have also practice using two walking canes to lower and raises myself from the toilet, both the manual recliner and the two walking canes will require you to have some lower and upper strength, I also brought two leg pillows just encase I need to sleep in the bed, I have read so much of everyone else forums I believe I am ready, Be bless

Hi Sapper-Ret,

I bought a toilet seat riser too and also got one of these:

I was going to install a grab bar by the toilet, but found this handrail instead and it's working out perfectly. I'm able to lower myself on and off of the toilet in a breeze. I'm wondering now if I really needed the riser and if I could have gotten by with just the handrails. I already installed the raiser so there it shall stay until sometime after my surgery.

Good luck with your surgery!

Joe

As far as the riser, I had the anterior approach as well and while I disliked it, I was actually glad I had it. Didn't "need" it, but when your incision is really sore and your hip is swollen that first week or so, you may be glad you don't have to bend/move your leg as much. Just my .02. Good luck on that surgery!

Hi Sapper-Ret,

I bought a toilet seat riser too and also got one of these:

I was going to install a grab bar by the toilet, but found this handrail instead and it's working out perfectly. I'm able to lower myself on and off of the toilet in a breeze. I'm wondering now if I really needed the riser and if I could have gotten by with just the handrails. I already installed the raiser so there it shall stay until sometime after my surgery.

Good luck with your surgery!

Joe
Your really tall so I would keep the toilet raiser on. My surgeons office that and the walker must haves to go home. Unfortunately I am on the cusp of needing one and had a few small injuries from it. I talked to a nurse that said my height not to use it. Anyone talker should. This is to keep your leg from bending too high. Keep it as a precaution. Also Amazon has a full leg ice pack … I wish I had one ! Ice will be your best friend

As far as the toilet riser, I put one over our downstairs toilet, where I spend my days. After 2 weeks, I began sleeping upstairs again, in the spare bedroom. There is no toilet riser on the upstairs toilets and let me tell you the first many times I sat down it seemed an endlessly long way down! It was doable but not comfortable.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back