TKR March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!

ROM jumped forward. Getting close to the 120° mark. Still get lots of achyness from knee being static for more than 30min…. Getting more than 4hrs of sleep at once is not happening yet. Knee feels better during activity.

Very sore this week after PT session in which I seem to be more driven that my therapist, who is amazing. She told me to slow down and take it easy as swelling is up a bit. Went swimming last Wednesday. Was pretty nice to be in the water again. I’ve always had a love with swimming and SCUBA. The feel of weightlessness is so relieving and comforting. Easy to work on ROM stretches without gravity making life difficult.

Sleep still sucks…. Keeping on going on….

I, too, love swimming and couldn't wait to get back in the pool. I made a mistake though, by doing too much too soon in the water and paid for it afterward for a couple of weeks. I waited a month more before I got back to my normal swim time. It sounds like you haven't had that problem. Good going!

Low gravity stretching in the pool is amazing plus I can actually get my heart rate going….somthing I’ve bemoaned for the better part of a year. Even just walking in the pool is so smooth on your muscles, gives you a little bit of resistance and takes a bit of weight bearing irritation out of the joint.

Measured 119° at flexion and 0° extension at Physio today… so close to that 120° benchmark.

“Little by Little”

Glad that the pool is working so well for your recovery, @Axx72.

Don't worry: you will get to 120, with time. Just remember that it's only a number. What's really important is that your knee functions well enough to let you do the things you want to do -- like riding your bike!

You are doing great!

@Axx72 so encouraging to read your posts! Thanks for updating. My recovery parallels yours in that I feel so much better (week 10) and doing more of what I love (riding bikes swimming etc). Sometimes I am stiff the next day, but Just a little more ice & elevation and I bounce back. I am doing the 4 hour sleep thing too … but I figure that’s all part of the process- can’t wait to be able to be physically tired (from exercise- not from surgery or lack of sleep) again. Keep going!

Sitting at the PT clinic this morning grouchy about my knee being sore….again…. A bit more swollen above the joint than normal with a tolerable amount of ache upon weight bearing/walking. Probably my impatience with life getting the better of me. Biking last Sunday, swimming on Wednesday, 2km dog walk Thursday. Things to do, places to see….u know…

I absolutely detest active flexion therapy but ….Positive side: Hit 121° flexion today!!!! Small successes make it easier to work through the discomfort and in turn, the end game goal seems a bit more attainable. Remember….breath and think about wiggling your toes and embrace the stretch discomfort.

Again…excited for the next step

Woke up this morning after !!!7.5!!!! HOURS of sleep!!! Albeit interrupted by 20 min of flexing/re-positioning. Actually did not feel sleep deprived this morning! Just getting back to sleep was a win for me.. usually it’s over at 3:30 or 4 o’clock in the morning. Another step in the right direction….hopefully

Hmmph…. Back to the same sleep pattern… up at 3-4AM, back to sleep around noon for an hour then bed around 10PM. At least I can sleep when I need to. Knee is still better when I’m in motion.

Routine….

Constantly have to tell myself that I’m still healing from pretty traumatic surgery. Remembering past injuries self resolving over 4 to 6 weeks….

Ready for the next step….

It doesn't matter where or when you sleep as long as you do. While you are asleep, your body can concentrate more on healing your knee.

Reactions: Jcx
The installment sleeping is frustrating at first, but it will gradually become more normal. Like sistersinhim said, I decided the important thing was to sleep in whatever configuration. ;)

Right and thankfully having the time to listen to my body and sleep when I need to is possible. Blessed to have the support I have from family, work and people on this forum… no substitution for experience.

6 Month post-op surgeon appointment:

My surgeon told me that he does about 200 joint replacements per year. Said my healing rate was incredibly fast and that he hasn’t seen a patient advance so far in such a short time.

What a great boost to my confidence and determination moving forward. Results will slow down but I’m determined to get faster and stronger. A close family friend who had a partial knee replacement eight years ago visited and we discussed our plans for a Western TransCanada trail bike packing trip one year from now.

Of course, that’s not for everyone but looking forward and having a goal is incredibly important. It lets you know where you stand and reminds you why you CHOSE this path. I will continue, I’m sure to be a revolving door member to the ODIC but it does help me know where my boundaries are and how to expand them.

With determination and positive attitude, anyone can be successful. I still have many more steps to take and the next one is the most important one at this point. Continue to be excited for that next step;)

Attachments

• 5194CB47-5D85-463D-83B3-2440865BFB82.jpeg
    5194CB47-5D85-463D-83B3-2440865BFB82.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 95
Awesome @Axx72! I love that positive attitude. So happy you are a fast healer! Just had my 3 month appt yesterday, and chugging right along. Yosemite trip planned for late August (book 1 year out and smdidnt know I’d be getting a TKR!) The goal is to hike. Super important to have goals and stay positive! I hope you for sure post back in a year pics of the bike trip.

@Samsrf Same with u! Yosemite will be amazing! Achieving our small goals along the way make the final accomplishment seem all that much more sweet!!

Ugh what could have been, would have been, should have been contrasted to current situation…… what bothers me the most is what I view as lack the wasting of time. My impatient gets the better of me and I want more, don’t wanna sit around and wait anymore. I know I’m healing fast but sitting around, relative to what I’m used to, is not easy….

Getting out of town to do a bit of off grid camping. Bit of trail riding on the bike and a bit of flyfishing. Hopefully will be good for the soul.

@Axx72 Hope camping helped restore the patience &hope. I empathize with everything you said. Could have written the words myself. After 6+months (the 3 I couldn’t walk waiting for surgery and the 3+ post op) of “relaxing” I am chomping at the bit (not sleeping much lots of energy) It will come, it is coming back little by little. In 6months, 16 months and 60 months you (we) will see this was only a little piece of time and the lessons we learned from this “slow” time will make us better when we are going Mach 10 again. Best wishes to you! Stay positive!

Patience is still hard to come by even though I had a good review from the surgeon. Two weeks of unusual ache/swelling … prob ODIC. Went camping with friends for a few days, back to Calgary for a week…. Had to leave Calgary for a physical/mental break.
Removing myself from ‘overdo it’ temptation. Visiting family and friends I have not seen in a long time while touring BC on my motorcycle. The pause will be good for both my family and myself. Have found great less travelled areas I have not been to for 25 years. Reconnecting and reflecting on life. Nostalgic therapy to get my mind off my knee and recovery and gain some relativity. Thankful to have the ability to do the trip.

Working hard to prepare and not be so impatient for the next step.

It sounds like you are doing quite well in your recovery! Going out and about visiting people, places and things, so early in your recovery is amazing. Continue to take breaks when you need them and enjoy your new knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back