THR Hip replacement

Lamar123@

Country
United States United States
I had my hip replacement on May 4, 2022 everything went well my leg is a little longer than the other and it was on my left hip but I am unable to kick that leg out and hold it …I know they talk about the log leg will I ever be able to kick that leg out with therapy and will that hold me back from work

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Congrats on your new hip!

As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.

If you feel you’re still experiencing Log Leg, see if the description below matches what you’re feeling.
Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

Here is a more detailed explanation I found through reading up on this topic -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

I‘m not really sure what you mean by kicking your leg out. Do you mean raising it to the side, or just extending it out, straight, in front of you? You’re only three weeks into a healing process that can last a full year for some. I’m sure it will come with time. Wondering what it is that you do for work that you’re concerned about holding you back?

If you’re experiencing swelling, try icing if you’re not already. You’ll find a article on Ice in the Recovery a Guidelines below.

I wish you the best as you continue healing. Stop back if you have questions and we’ll do our best to help. :)

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello and welcome! Your May 4th surgery wasn't that long ago.. hopefully you will begin to notice improvements soon.
Like Layla, I'm not sure what you are describing, but it sounds a bit more strenuous than what is needed so soon after surgery. Whenever I overdid things, it seemed to affect my hip, and I felt it deep into the joint and through the muscles on the front of my leg.
Right now, icing/walking/elevating are good things to do to get yourself on the right side of your recovery.

Hopefully you give us updates and also take some time to read other's recovery threads.. they can be so helpful.

@Lamar123@

Not sure what you mean about kicking your leg out and holding it. Log leg for me was that I could not lift my leg when laying in bed or even to get into bed. If sitting in a chair I couldn't lift my foot off of the floor. It eventually came around on it's own, no therapy required. As far as work goes a lot depends on what you do for work. Most use the full 12 weeks to recover before going back to work.

Thanks So much for your guys thoughts I’m a school bus driver and I did take 3 1/2 months off my leg is doing better and yes if I’m laying down I I can pick my leg up but I can’t push it straight up I know everything takes time it’s only been four weeks for me

Early days @Lamar123@ ! All the mobility will return in time. There is still lots of healing going on. Soft tissues, muscles and tendons were traumatised during the procedure. They just need time to settle.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you‘re enjoying steady progress. Recovery does take time. Please don’t be a stranger here, we love updates. All the best as you continue your healing journey. :)
@Lamar123@

Hello everyone
I’m doing ok love my Therapy just learn what muscle to use to get my leg to move straight up that was exciting
my hip is still very stiff, and I was a little down because my leg is longer now .don’t no if that will change. I’m able to go up and down the stairs one leg at a time , but still nervous to try to go up normal I feel that my leg is still very weak . It’s been 6weeks Since my surgery

Sounds like you are doing fine! I am still not able to go up and down the normal way and I am 4 months in so its different for everyone. Just keep doing your PT but don't get overzealous and over do it. I did that at 6 weeks and I regret it now. Your leg length will normalize from what I have heard and read here don't worry. Be well!

Hello and Happy Sunday @Lamar123@
Glad to hear you’re doing well. Your concerns are common and will ease with time. We heal at different rates and you‘re still early into a recovery than can last a full year for some. You will get there.

As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here is a article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.
I hope you have a nice week. :)

I wish my leg length difference had resolved itself. Only way it got better was having the other hip replaced four years later & they made me even!

Marie

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well, making steady progress and enjoying the Summer!
@Lamar123@

Yes I’m doing good . I have done 13 visits to therapy has 3 more to go . I’m walking a mile and a half every morning . My hip is still stiff but
after moving around it feels better. I’m a school bus driver and I started back on August 10

My leg is longer then the other but my doctor said don’t put any lift in my shoes yet , he said let’s see if it will balance off soon … I hope so

I’m trying to decide whether or not I wanna ask for another referral to continue to go to therapy even though it’s going well I still cannot kick my leg out only 25%

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well as your therapy winds down and you prepare to head back to work next week.
You'll have to let us know how settling back into driving the school bus goes. We wish you well and hope you'll stay in touch.
Take good care! :wave:
@Lamar123@

Hi @Lamar123@
Walking a mile and a half at one go every morning and back to driving a bus at 3 months is alot, so I shouldn't doubt that you are sore and tight.
Some of the discomfort is just how it is at this stage, but maybe you could do a shorter walk in the AM and add one in the PM?

My leg is longer then the other but my doctor said don’t put any lift in my shoes yet , he said let’s see if it will balance off soon … I hope so

Everything I've read shows that this really is the best protocol so I hope that things settle.
God Bless you school bus drivers...
nerves of steel.
Hope you can chill a bit this weekend.
Just a reminder...
Ice is still nice at this point in recovery:ice:

Hello everyone it’s been four months and two weeks since my hip surgery I’m doing good I’m walking well I’m back at work but my knee is still very swollen my hip is tight sometime I wanna do I have a black clogged Around my knee and thigh area anyone know how long it takes for the swelling of the knee to go down and the stiffness to go away I’m exercising I finish my therapy

Many struggle with a stiff sore knee post op. The knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. Consider icing it at night and see if it helps. Swelling can last for months. My OS maintains up to a year post op for some. See if you notice any difference with your knee and hip after your PT ends. You may...you never know. :shrug: I hope you have a nice week!
@Lamar123@

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom