TKR April 11 Surgery done!

Thank you for your kind words. We have all been through what you are going through and received help from this site. That's why we volunteer our time and experience to try and help others going through this recovery. It's so good to hear that we are helping you!

Start of Week 2. Wrestled into clean stockings. Yuck! But no screaming. I had feet up against wall for half hour and gently stroked legs to hopefully stimulate lymphatic system. Going to call pharmacy for advice on pain meds. Running low and bottles say “no refills”. Want to ensure I have enough to be comfortable. Maybe use Tylenol during day? But there are soo many kinds!! Figure pharmacist should have some advice.

Contact your surgeon about another prescription for pain meds. Being only in your second week, he/she should renew it.

Ask if your OS will prescribe Tramadol if he won't give you any refills. Many find this works well with Tylenol. I did this for a few months as I needed.
The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

I will call the surgeon tomorrow. I have Tramadol. I’m taking it at 8:00 am, 2pm, and then a Tramadol and Hydromorphone at 8:00pm. Today I’m trying just the Hydro at bedtime. I am not in pain, really, more like discomfort. But I will call tomorrow to see what he says. Thanks for your advice!

I found Tylenol PM works very well at night with both the pain/discomfort and sleep. I only took oxycodon for the first day and night then switched to tylenol during the day and the PM version at night.

I learned the hard way that 1 Hydromorphone is not enough to get me through the night. Woke up in discomfort and aches which is a first for me. Weepy too. So I definitely need to figure these meds out. Now I know what is meant by “staying ahead of the pain”! Took Tramadol early and it seems to kicking in. My mouth always feels like it’s full of cotton wool in the morning, even tho I drink every time I wake up. Calling both surgeon and pharmacy for their help and advice. We have several different over-the-counter meds. I don’t want to play around with them. Thank you again for your help! Going for first physio visit this morning. I’ll keep you posted!

Reactions: Jcx
Staples come out today! And yes, I’m nervous. Going to take extra pain meds to help. Noticed when I changed my stockings this morning that my ankle is quite sore and bruised. Takes a while to loosen up in the morning. But otherwise (other than hating these stockings!), I think things are going well. Lay in bed last night with my legs up the wall, talking to my daughter home from university! Felt almost normal, lol!!

When my staples came out, it only felt like a little pinch. Don’t worry!

You'll love having those nasty staples out. My OS stopped using them altogether as he listened to his patients who he said just didn't like them. Mine were a pain to remove as they had gotten scabbed over for some reason. But most people don't have my crazy body and the staples come out easily. The morning loosening up is normal. It'll eventually fade away also, but that also takes a little time. You're still wearing those torture devices they call stockings? Shudder........ I would have tossed them in the trash if my doctor had wanted me to wear them. :rotfl: But he has his patients just take aspirin, which has worked for me. You seem to be doing quite well, keep up the good work!

Nurse taking staples out says she sees patients with and without stockings. She felt there is less swelling, etc with them. I have to wear them for 4 more weeks.
Staples out and I survived. Just didn’t watch!! Had some stitches too since dr removed a lump. Those gave the nurse a challenge but we just talked our way through. Dr was pleased with everything, as am I. Best news…I can shower on Friday!! If I could, I’d dance…lol!!!

Into Week 6 after surgery. I see the surgeon next week for final check and removal of all conditions ( like these awful stockings and I can drive).
Physio is going well. I go twice a week. I do my best to do my home workouts. ROM is at 105 and slowly improving. My question is:
Why do I feel lightheaded/ slightly nauseous doing some of my exercises? I am sure I’m not overdoing it. I stop when it happens.

How is your blood pressure? Low BP could be a cause.

For that matter, are you holding your breath while doing the exercises? A friend of mine had that problem while working out. She ended up seeing doctors and getting a CAT scan of her head, and in the end her problem was caused by holding her breath while lifting.

I am not taking anything medically. Stopped about 2 weeks ago. Not holding my breath. No idea what my blood pressure is!

Occasional Tylenol or Motrin mostly after physio. Just took Motrin as I’ve been up a lot today. Hosting Book Club tonight so I’ll see people (6)!!

Why do I feel lightheaded/ slightly nauseous doing some of my exercises? I am sure I’m not overdoing it. I stop when it happens.
Hi @MonarchMom Although you don't believe you are overdoing it, your body may disagree. You are only 6 weeks post op and still have a lot of healing to do. You are wise to stop when it happens.

I suggest you cut back on those exercises until you see your surgeon. Be sure to let him/her know about the dizziness and nausea. It may be nothing, but you don't want to take any chances.

Beside, with your flexion of 105 already, there is really no need to push yourself. You are doing great!

Two weeks ago I was told I could ditch my support stockings. After wearing them 24/7, was so ready to burn them! Thought I’d be glad but can’t seem to part with the one on my new knee. Makes me feel more secure and comfortable somehow. Still hate tugging it up but certainly appreciate the “support”! Is this ok? Surgery was 8 weeks ago.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back