THR Aug. 17th for second THR

Seanie24
That’s interesting - I had posterior though wasn’t told I needed crutches etc for that long. Lovely scar down my left butt cheek
But I was told to go from walker to cane WHEN I felt steady. Skipped the crutches step which is fine since I seem to trip w them. So at week 2 I went to the cane. Just goes to show the wide range of treatment protocols, approaches and how each of us responds.
btw I was told w posterior to be extra extra careful RE breaking the 90 degree rule for the first 6 weeks to ensure I don’t do something dumb and pop it out.

Week seven - I saw the PA last week. He took an X-ray and said things looked fine. I made progress this week but still have the butt pain. I wish I knew more about anatomy but it seems like the piraformis muscle. Walking with a pronounced limp and still using the cane but sometimes forgetting and taking off without the cane. I wish I could beat this butt muscle pain which I have had since waking up from surgery.

Sorry you’re still struggling. I’ll leave an article on Piriformis for you to read and see if you feel it describes your issue. As for the limp…
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. Hope it helps.

Here’s a visual on heel-toe walking
1633618361785.jpeg

Thank you for the tip on heel to toe. I am trying it and it does help. Also trying to stand tall when walking.

Pain in the butt, many of us have had it. It will go away but it is annoying. I did stretches but gently to start with and it did help. Slow walking with good posture on level ground and distance doesn't matter. It's form that is important when trying to relearn walking.

Happy Sunday and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I sure hope you’re noticing some improvement in the ongoing pain you’ve been struggling with. If not yet, hopefully very soon. Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
We do care.
A great week to you!
@chopper72

I am at ten weeks and have made some progress. I am only occassionally taking OTC pain meds. I can walk about 1000 steps before fatique sets in and must stop. Still can't sleep on operated side. Still hurts to sit for more than a half hour. I think it is a tight piraformis but I don't really have the flexibility to stretch it. Any ideas? But happy that I am making some progress.

Thanks for the update. :) Good news you’re not feeling as much need for pain relievers.

The Energy Drain from surgery is real. Your body is using energy first to heal the trauma experienced through THR, not leaving a lot for all else. I’m sure you remember this from your last surgery. Still pretty early days for you in the scheme of things.

I waited a couple months to attempt sleeping on my op side also. I too found sitting for a length of time uncomfortable, especially in a vehicle. It slowly eased over time. I’ll leave and article on Piriformis Syndrome which includes an explanation for stretching with a visual. Check it out and see if it pertains.

I wish you relief and hope you have a good rest of the week!
@chopper72

After continued problems with pain and mobility the doctor ordered an MRI. The results showed that my Rectus Femoris tendon had been ruptured during surgery. This is causing pain and mobility problems. The doctor is saying that he doesn't recommend reattaching. Does anybody know what it means long term to not have this muscle? About not reattaching it?

I’m sorry you continue to struggle with this issue in your recovery.
Did your doctor offer any remedies to help you deal with the with the pain, such as rest, ice, anti-inflammatories? What was his explanation for not reattaching? Consider touching base with your surgeon again if you have more questions, or speaking with your Primary Care Physician for another opinion.
I hope relief without surgery is a possibility for you. Stay in touch.
@chopper72

Wow. I’m no doctor but I do know the RF makes up a significant portion of your quad and I think, is the only part of the quad grp that crosses the hip and runs down your thigh to attach to your patellar tendon.

That it ruptured during surgery is shocking. I would ask for the OR report for your surgery to see what/how this was recorded.

If it’s torn, no wonder you’re in pain. Do you know how torn it is? Fully ruptured or partially torn? Im so sorry to hear this.

I have 2 friends who had quad tears. One was approx 25% and he had to let it heal and did PT. The other was a much more serious tear that required surgery.
Good luck

It is not partially torn, is is completely ruptured. The TA did not admit it was ruptured in surgery and no mention was made of it in the notes, but I had a MRI two months before surgery and it was intact and I walked 12000 steps the day before surgery. Now I am dragging my leg and can walk about 3 blocks before the hip is dead tired. The tendon that was cut appears to be directly below the incision. The TA made this sound like it was no big deal and the other muscles would compensate. Is that true?

Hello chopper,
I’m so sorry your question seems to have slipped through the cracks here and sadly, I don’t have an answer. Hopefully you’ve had your question answered by now. How are you doing on this three month anniversary of your surgery? Any news or plans for resolution of your ongoing pain? I sure hope so :fingersx:
@chopper72

@chopper72 Can you get a second opinion from another doctor? I would be seriously upset if left in a state where I couldn’t walk properly.

It has been 8 months now and I am still hobbling, especially if I have been sitting a while - then steps are super painful. I still need a cane to walk. I can walk about 3 blocks.

This is horrible! Did no one address this and give you any solutions ? It seems odd they would dismiss this. I would find another surgeon or see a lawyer if they are not going to attempt to see you. You always have to be your own advocate. If I had insisted 4 yrs ago it was not my spine it was my hip ( I just knew but they ignored me ) I could have saved myself a surgery, walked sooner and not had nearly severe damage as I did.
I do hope you find your answers. No one should be left to live with that kind of pain.

After continued problems with pain and mobility the doctor ordered an MRI. The results showed that my Rectus Femoris tendon had been ruptured during surgery. This is causing pain and mobility problems. The doctor is saying that he doesn't recommend reattaching. Does anybody know what it means long term to not have this muscle? About not reattaching it?
I see through your post above that you’re still struggling at 8 months post op. Wondering when your last visit with the surgeon was and what advice you received?
If you’re not getting any satisfaction, it may be time for a second opinion. “Super painful” as you mentioned, is exhausting. Wishing you comfort.

I got a second opinion. That surgeon thinks the cup is loose. He ordered a sample from the hip to test for infection. Don't have results yet. Too early to do a bone scan to see if the cup is loose. I guess you can't do a bone scan until a year has passed.

It’s good you’re getting a second opinion. Hopefully there is no infection.
Too early to do a bone scan to see if the cup is loose. I guess you can't do a bone scan until a year has passed.
Hmm, I’m not sure if I’ve heard this before. @Jamie have you?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads