TKR Unexpected leg pain

I agree with Jockette and Lovetocookandsew, sometimes the constant PT keeps the knee so swollen you can't possibly get good ROM. A couple of weeks break from PT with lots of ice and elevation and you might be surprised to find some of that missing ROM.

I also vote for stopping PT for 3-4 weeks and just letting your daily activities be your PT. What you are doing now isn't working so try something different. Staying away from PT will allow your knee to calm down some of that inflammation, letting the swelling come down. When you work your knee more than it's ready to be worked it reacts with more swelling. More swelling reduces ROM, but bend and extension. Rest it, elevate it and ice it as much as you can and I bet you'll see a huge improvement!

Just alittle update, I went and got a second opinion. He said I definitely need a manipulation. He advised me to go to the Anderson Ortho Clinic in Arlington Va. I made the appt that day and went a week later. The dr there reiterated what the second opinion doctor said about a manipulation. I go this Friday for a bone scan and blood work to rule out infection. It’s a waiting game now. I’ll send more info after the bone scan, wish me luck.

Update: results from my bone scan show infection and a loose prosthetic. It’s not the news that I wanted but at least I know what’s wrong. So what happens now? Please share any kind of positive experiences for those who have been there, thank you in advance.

@Bluebell53 So sorry to hear about your infection. If you go to the recovery forum and look for threads with the Knee Infection prefix you will find our members who have been through this experience. Many are no longer posting as they have recovered and are back to living life again.

We will be here for you! Please keep us updated!

How disappointing you have an infection and loosening. Be sure to have an infection doctor on board for your treatment. You want to be sure to get the correct antibiotic.

If you clink on this
1652562775979.png
on the Knee Recovery home page you can read all the threads from posters that had an infection.

@Bluebell53 , the prosthetic part that loosened, was it glued or press fit in place? My first femoral prosthetic was press fit and when my revision was done it came right out - the bone had not bound to the prosthetic. My revised parts were put in with glue and no problems so far.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks