THR advice on when to do THR

tommo

Country
United States United States
I am a 45 year old highly active wannabe athlete who's had hip arthroscopy bilaterally. I had the right side done 6 years ago and I think it's deteriorating. I had to give up running about 15 years ago and soccer 5 years before that. I can kinda work out still but biking is now down to 45 minutes when it was 2-3 hours about 3 years ago. I would love some feedback from any late 30's to mid 50's patients who are highly active and received THR (dual mobility seems like an option) as I am curious on your activity levels and the general feeling of the new hip (can you tell? can you surf? Ski? Bike for 2-3 hours?) I need to do something because it is severely limiting but I am genuinely scared about how potentially limiting it may be> any feedback would be massively appreciated.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. We’re happy you joined us! Please leave the date and affected hip for your surgeries and we’ll create a signature for you.

I will leave some pre-op reading material along with a thread discussing dual mobility. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/anyone-have-dual-mobility-implant.67496/post-1515744

If you use the “Search” at the top of the page and type in dual mobility, the threads / posts where it’s been mentioned will pop up.

Following is our hip pre-op information. I’m sure some members will read here and offer you feedback. Stop back often, we’d love to support you as you make decisions and move forward. I hope you have a great rest of the week!

HIP PRE-OP

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries
@tommo

When to do it? When you're comfortable having it done in your particular situation. No one should tell you when to do it, they should give you the info so you can make an informed decision that works for you. Understand exactly what a THR is and what they will do to you to perform the surgery. Understand what the risks are post-op if you damage the implant. If you're willing to accept the risks there isn't much you can't do, it's up to you what you should do.

I'm 39 which is pretty young to have this surgery all though, I have seen some younger on here lately. Have you seen a doctor that has recommended THR? If you get the surgery, I do believe you can go back to biking for hours once you're recovered. As far as running and playing soccer, it can be done but you have to consider if your rough on the joint it could need revision in the future. I'm in the gym regularly, doing weight lifting, high paced cardio on the elliptical and very long walks on the treadmill and my leg feels great almost like I never had arthritis and a hip replacement

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom