THR Mar’s new hip

CricketHip, I set up my PT sessions as 2 per week alternating Regular PT with the Lymphatic draining. I really don’t have much swelling just some directly under the incision. I was smart to buy a leg pillow very similar to the Lounge Doctor, for $35. Plus I have an adjustable bed so I’m able to really elevate. I also have the alternating leg compression so could be all those factors. I also barely have any bruising. I know the knee has all that bruising from the tourniquet so maybe there isn’t a lot of bruising with hip replacements, I don’t really know.
When I went to my first PT session we talked about my slight leg discrepancy so she did some adjusting for that. The crazy thing is I was having all kinds of thigh, knee, and back pain prior to the surgery. In fact I went in just before my surgery worried that maybe we shouldn’t go ahead with it, but the doctor thought it would be ok . But since the surgery I haven’t felt any of that pain. So maybe all that pain was coming from my hip. Anyway that’s what I’m praying for :)

Layla, Thank you! That shower felt so good. I had taken one the other day and sat on a shower chair but I was freezing the whole time. I’m excited because both my knees weren’t much fun, lol.

My first attempt at showering, I took my crutches in with me. They filled up with water which went all over the floor!

Mar, you are doing so well. As for your back pain, many of us experienced that very thing... much less back pain after the THR.
I hope you aren't too worried about a slight LLD, it usually settles into place quite well, all on it's own.
Wishing you continued good healing experiences.

Reactions: Mar
So I’m 2 weeks out today from my anterior RTHR. I kept forgetting the walker and PT said I was fine without it but then I had increased pain so decided it must be too early still. That was about 5 days ago. Today I’m thinking I might try the cane. Just seems like I limp more with the cane does that sound right? I will take it to PT tomorrow and make sure I’m using it right. Still having a bit of groin pain and inner thigh is really sore. Incision pain comes and goes do you think that will ease up after my sutures are removed? I just have glue and 4 rather large sutures they are away from my incision by about 1/2 “ and get the feeling they are just there to support the glue? When I look at the incision pictures I don’t see anything like what I have, lol. Wonder if it’s new? As far as the exercises go I don’t do as many as they say except the ankle pumps and knee flexion. So I’ve been pretty easy on my hip. Walk every 1-2 hours except at night. Seems like so many with anterior are off pain meds within the first week, I just asked for another prescription for Tramadol, lol. But we’re all different. Still keep ice on it except when walking for the most part but sometimes like last night it seemed it was making the pain worse so I took it off for a bit and it eased up? I think tomorrow is my last day of Celebrex. So do you think I should start ibuprofen the next day? Do you think it’s best to take the Tylenol and Ibuprofen together every 6 hours or alternating every 3 hours?

18 days PO and got my stitch out today. That seems to have decreased my pain by about 50%. It was such a weird closure. On all the picks I never saw any like mine. One continuous stitch but when you looked at it there were only 4 that showed on the outside spaced about 1” apart. I just thought they were support for what I thought must be glue. He said no glue. But it looks great, so maybe something new. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I’m walking really well, don’t really do anything at PT other then lymphatic drainage. So far no exercises from them. I just do the ankle pumps, flexion, not full leg lifts just the ones where you lift from the knee. PT did something to hopefully get rid of the leg length discrepancy but I actually thought it made leg shorter instead of longer, lol. Doctor wasn’t too worried about it said they will address it only if it doesn’t get better after awhile. I do think I wouldn’t limp at all if that wasn’t present. But over all I’m think I’m coming out of the worst of the pain. Actually sat outside yesterday and planted some flowers which my husband then put in the garden for me. Feeling optimistic!

Hi Mar, your update is very good, especially for 2 weeks post op.
Your stitches did sound,, different. Glad the removal helped with the pain, too.
I love reading that your PT is holding off with the exercises.
Just think what the next 2 weeks will bring?

I will be one month out tomorrow. Doing pretty well. So far no real exercises. Ankle pumps, flexion, leg lifts just from knee, and walking. Swelling has been minimal except under incision. PT still just doing lymphatic drainage haven’t even asked me to do any exercises, lol. I’m off pain meds except to sleep. I only use cane if I go out, really very clumsy with it sometimes think it’s more dangerous for me to use it then not. Doctor said he didn’t care if I even used the cane. If I tire I will use the walker at night to do my house laps. Most of the time inside I’m not using anything. PT agreed that she also feels I have a slight 1/4” leg discrepancy. So she made a heel lift for my shoe and what a difference, much less pain when I walk. When I stand both legs are straight. Before I had a slight bend to my operative side knee. Still icing and elevating if I’m not up. When do you start putting anything on the incision? It’s so hard underneath I would like to start loosening it up. Just been lightly massaging it which seems to make it feel better. It’s only 5” long how in the heck do they do all that through such a small incision ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I also have a recumbent bike. Do you think it’s too early to start on that? I see for knees but I can’t find anything about hips? But doing way better then with knees where you have to get the dreaded flexion, lol.

My first attempt at showering, I took my crutches in with me. They filled up with water which went all over the floor!
I've been taking my walker in with me, because it actually feels safer than the shower chair I have. Then, while sitting in my recliner, I flipped it up onto my lap because I was going to put new sliders on the rear legs - not realizing there was a LOT of water just waiting to come out of the adjustment holes, haha.

Okay, after both of your shower stories, I will make a mental note to keep my walker out of the shower, if the need ever arises again.!
Those first few showers are hard work but so worth it. I felt human again after that first one.
As for a recumbent bike-I doubt it would bother anything, if you kept it to a minimum at first. My first thought would be whether you could get into and out of the seat easily enough?
If ever there is a doubt, it's best to call your surgeon's office to be certain. Especially if he gave you any restrictions.

CricketHip, I have no real restrictions he just said not to pivot or twist. No 90 degree restrictions. Which is weird when they told me I needed the surgery he said I would have a 90 degree restriction, but after surgery he said no restrictions. It was actually the PA that said not to pivot or twist, lol. Not sure who the boss is in their relationship, lol

When do you start putting anything on the incision?
Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I wish you a blue sky, sunshine and all things good type of day! :SUNsmile:
Hope you’re having a nice week…stay in touch. :wave:
@Mar

You’re two and a half weeks ahead of me. I also had anterior approach and just had my two weeks checkup yesterday. I was told I didn’t need to do anything at all with my incisions but definitely keep my hands off of them! I could gently message around the incisions but it was not necessary and not to worry about adhesions.

I’m just starting with the cane and my walking poles but am still most on the walker.

My OS also doesn’t want any exercises done for 6 weeks, except ankle pumps and very gentle butt and thigh clenches for circulation.

I feel so relieved that I am retired and have absolutely no pressure to try to recover faster. As if!

I am now 10 wks out and no longer have any pain and can move pretty much as I use too. Just a little hard to get that shoe on but I do succeed at it but I suspect that will take awhile. Pretty happy with its recovery now.
One issue I’m having is pain at night both legs. This just started I’d say the last two weeks. I’m off all pain meds and PT. I just can’t get comfortable. It’s not my hip so not sure if it’s RLS as they are just achy doesn’t seem like a nerve issue. Worse when on my side but I don’t sleep well on my back. Any suggestions on what gives with this. A bit confused.

Hi Mar,
Congrats for doing so well in your recovery. Isn't it great to be on the healing side?
For nighttime leg discomfort, I found that a pillow under my knees and calves helped get me some relief. When that isn't enough I use Theraworx foam - it's got magnesium in it and soothes muscles. I've used it for cramps and charley horses too. As a bonus, it also seems to help with all over relaxation and helps with my sleep.
I hope this helps!

It could be restless, for sure. 10 weeks is still early on, it's most likely another healing phase to go through.

Especially as you are healing and most likely doing more activities.
You are far enough post op to maybe consider a massage, that is if you enjoy that sort of thing. I found them very helpful for the low back and the sometimes achiness of my hips and legs. It helped me very much!

I sure can relate, and won't depress you with how long this situation lasted for me... but then I did both at once.
I will tell you it did finally resolve and as annoying as all of it was...well worth it as I look back ... 5 years now.

Hello Mar,
You received some good suggestions above. If you determine it’s muscles / nerves, you may want to consider Magnesium which supports the following:

Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead. This may be worth a try as it’s cheap and can’t hurt.

Have a nice weekend!
@Mar

Reactions: Mar
I do take magnesium daily but last night I added another capsule. I also took pickle juice which I read can help. I did sleep a bit better. I just don’t understand why I hurt more sleeping on my sides. Just weird:shrug:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back